IGNORED

Take one: lost Dave Brubeck tapes reveal jazz hit originally sounded like ‘a bad student band’

2 hours ago, mansr said:

Dismissing Dave Brubeck is still a step too far.

1 hour ago, Teresa said:

IMHO it is personal taste not elitist posturing. For example, I deleted my DSD download of the Analogue Productions remastering of Dave Brubeck Quartet's Time Out because I just didn't care for the music. 

BTW the DSD download sounded excellent, however I only keep music that I like both the sound quality and the music.

I didn't dismiss him although I have only his 'Time Out' SACD (also AP, @Teresa I agree - sounds great!). Frankly 'Blue Rondo..' and 'Take Five' are the only tracks from this album I remember. I think his use of meters like 9/8 (Rondo) or 5/4 (Take Five) was quite interesting just as the melodic aspect of both pieces (IMO they deservedly became jazz 'hits').  BTW I believe this meter itself could be a problem for the musicians during the above mentioned session. I don't care that much about the remaining compositions from the album, maybe because I'm not a waltz fan.

In general DB is too smooth for my taste. IMHO his importance in jazz can't be compared with Miles or Trane.