IGNORED

Best Listening Test Music?

John C

I am indeed glad you might enjoy this disc. Yes, it is a narrow field of interest, choral psalms, but I do not believe I have heard them sung or recorded better than this particular group of discs by the Choir of Kings College Cambridge.

I have another extremely difficult to reproduce disc of Tallis - "Spem in Alium" 40 part motet. The reasons I don't list it are because it is packed away in a packing box awaiting to be ripped so I cannot give you the label, and as far as I know is currently not available. Now that would not be nice would it?! :)

One torture disc that is available and should interest many people is Emmylou Harris - "Wrecking Ball".

http://www.amazon.com/Wrecking-Ball-Emmylou-Harris/dp/B000002HKI/ref=pd_bbs_8?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1239003400&sr=8-8

I have read many articles claiming that this is a bad recording. It is not. What we are hearing if this disc is correctly reproduced is Daniel Lanois' visionary production of a magnificent artist. I imagine you may already own this.

Thanks for getting back to me.

baxtus

• 2 months later...

Nils Lofgren - Acoustic live

Pink Floyd - Echoes

And I would probably play som tunes by Tommy Emmanuel, Jewel, Ac/Dc, etc. as well....and by the end of the evening I'd probably gone through some 10-15 records...

My system: Apple MacBook --> Airport Express --> Supra ZAC MiniTos --> Cambridge Audio DAC Magic --> Arcam DiVA A85 --> Proson HiFi Super Speaker Cable --> Heco Celan 500

• 2 years later...

It's great to see Rodrigo Y Gabriela and Primus on these lists! I also would recommend listening to Bela Fleck and the Flecktones for rich bass and diverse dynamic ranges (Kaleidoscope is a particularly colorful song). Mumford and Sons' album Sigh No More is also FANTASTIC on any good setup. There are diverse acoustic instruments, vibrant vocals and generally pounding kickdrum that will test any system's bass. I had started to list the best songs on this album, but I stopped when I realized I was listing every song.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)