IGNORED

Something New Has Arrived :~)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2020 at 11:34 PM, One and a half said:

Dedicated line from the main panel to the audio system trumps a line conditioner plugged into a standard wired wall socket every day.

Installations have specific requirements unique to each room and playback or production system.

Recently, we worked with an electrician that provided a 120v 30A outlet, (NEMA 5-30). The outlet is approximately 30 ft. from the sub panel using 6-gauge wire with a twist at minimum of one turn every 1.0 ft.  The isolation transformer in this application is local with the electronics and provides power for everything in the system. (Each isolation transformer outlet is wired directly to the transformer.)

One should note that in room installations using existing electrical outlets may provide benchmark results providing there is ample current.

A practical application for dedicated lines from the main panel with an isolation transformer may be for cinema rooms that have a plethora of active and passive speakers.

Regards,

Tim Marutani

24 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Great... Now another thing I need to buy.  

Let's say another area to raise one's attention. Everyone develops a system to different degrees for different reasons. This said, perhaps at some point paying attention to the quality of power, ground, and system ground reference may bring much value. It's not a glamorous purchase but when accomplished with engineering may be extremely rewarding. 

Regards,

Tim Marutani 

1 hour ago, tmfidelis said:

Let's say another area to raise one's attention. Everyone develops a system to different degrees for different reasons. This said, perhaps at some point paying attention to the quality of power, ground, and system ground reference may bring much value. It's not a glamorous purchase but when accomplished with engineering may be extremely rewarding. 

Regards,

Tim Marutani 

I think that my system has risen to the point where this is something I need to start considering.

No electron left behind.

14 hours ago, tmfidelis said:

Installations have specific requirements unique to each room and playback or production system.

Recently, we worked with an electrician that provided a 120v 30A outlet, (NEMA 5-30). The outlet is approximately 30 ft. from the sub panel using 6-gauge wire with a twist at minimum of one turn every 1.0 ft.  The isolation transformer in this application is local with the electronics and provides power for everything in the system. (Each isolation transformer outlet is wired directly to the transformer.)

One should note that in room installations using existing electrical outlets may provide benchmark results providing there is ample current.

A practical application for dedicated lines from the main panel with an isolation transformer may be for cinema rooms that have a plethora of active and passive speakers.

Regards,

Tim Marutani

Agreed, in the context of 'power conditioner', the models typically have chokes (not the differential type), a set of caps, and a plethora of VDRs. The combo causes unpleasant reaction with linear audio equipment. As far as isolating the 'high' power and 'low' power device, how is it possible, other than to add in another choke. Power conditioners are great for printers and computers to provide for overvoltage protection, but not for audio use.

If your isolation transformer is quiet, then yes, it can be applied locally to the equipment. For those of with empty wallets, the Topaz type isolation transformers perform very well for their price, however they aren't spring chickens any more and tend to rattle at low power, and for that reason are best placed at the switchboard. The dedicated line adds more wire were noise is likely not to venture, and the HF currents end up at the transformer anyway, cancelled out when using a symmetrical supply (dependent on the transformer construction and symmetry of the windings).

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

@One and a half What if your service panel is located in listening room area with regard to something like a Topaz?  Can they be put outside?  Although we have some brutal winters

I have thought about adding a couple dedicated lines, but dread the thought of having rip all the sheet rock up etc..  From my understanding the power quality in my area is very good and conditioners et al would be a waste of $

My rig

On 4/11/2020 at 11:42 PM, Foggie said:

@One and a half What if your service panel is located in listening room area with regard to something like a Topaz?  Can they be put outside?  Although we have some brutal winters

I have thought about adding a couple dedicated lines, but dread the thought of having rip all the sheet rock up etc..  From my understanding the power quality in my area is very good and conditioners et al would be a waste of $

Any electrical equipment outside is a challenge. The Topaz units are only indoor type. Even if it were placed outside in a weatherproof box, the design of the windings do allow moisture to creep inside and one day will pop. The box should have an anti-condensation heater, with an alarming system so that if the heater fails, it emits a warning....gets really messy. Any chance to install in a roof or under the floor?

Not all Topaz units are noisy, it's a lottery, I bought two, the 1kVA is noisier at low loads but not powerful enough to drive the whole system, the 2kVA is fine with no load.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

2 hours ago, One and a half said:

Any electrical equipment outside is a challenge. The Topaz units are only indoor type. Even if it were placed outside in a weatherproof box, the design of the windings do allow moisture to creep inside and one day will pop. The box should have an anti-condensation heater, with an alarming system so that if the heater fails, it emits a warning....gets really messy. Any chance to install in a roof or under the floor?

Not all Topaz units are noisy, it's a lottery, I bought two, the 1kVA is noisier at low loads but not powerful enough to drive the whole system, the 2kVA is fine with no load.

Thanks, kinda figured as much.  I wasn't aware they're not all noisy, but probably not something for my room.  My listening room is a basement on slab, so not a lot of options.  Dedicated lines would be the way to go.

My rig

You come up with in-room solutions, eventually, for iso tran noise ... in my case the Elgar 2.5kV, 0.0005pfd unit had a low level but intrusive vibration hum, even after tightening down etc.

Solved by going into a pvc storage box, lined with thick-ish amplifier acoustic sheets, open at top, ... & conveniently located in the unused chimney fire place behind the audio gear & speakers.

Extremely marginal added benefit to sonic improvements: iso tran heat output ameliorates the thermal mass cold of the disused chimney (closed off both externally & above fireplace).

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.