IGNORED

Something New Has Arrived :~)

1 hour ago, rando said:

I can about imagine his wife, much less the city permit board, looking over that plan. 

Structural analysis to estimate the approximate safe load bearing capacity of his attic floor sure sounds fun on the other hand.  We build 'em pretty big and feed 'em pretty well up here.  Which is fairly well accounted for in older houses.  So he's still got a margin to play with I'd imagine.  At some point I'd start being wary about adding two piano mover sized guys carrying twice their weight again.

Now I'm imagining working out the locations they can safely sit without putting too much load on the floor and underlying structures. Getting them into position one will of course have to follow carefully planned paths, possibly coordinating their movements to avoid temporarily exceeding any limits. Kind of like those old Sokoban games.

34 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Ahh, in the days where QA didn’t exist and just by looking at the timbers, it would last a very long time.

Seems these days houses are made of pressed pine laminates and hardwoods a rarity; in our country anyway.

Where I come from, the structural elements are mostly pine or spruce with no treatment whatsoever.