IGNORED

Pics of Turntables, Tone Arms, Cartridges, Needles & Grooves

Ralf11

Schiit Sol beta

Nagaoka MP-110

Parks Audio Puffin

Sol-1.jpg

Sol-2.jpg

Nearfield setup-Matrix Element H USB>Curious Evolved>Yggy OG>Freya+>Mono Trys>Harbeth P3ESR 40th & Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X & Burson Soloist w/ Super Charger> Mr.Speakers Ether 2,& Technics 1500C, Arcromat> SoundSmith Carmen MkII > Zu Mission>Parks Puffin Toslink.. Blue Jeans interconnects, Pangea power cables, IsoAcoustics feet, Goldpoint SW2X

On 2/4/2020 at 10:23 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Turntables and tape machines, the audio equivalent of a fireplace. Look nice, but the snap, crackle, and pop can be bothersome. 

That's true if you buy or play albums in poor condition which is too often the case.  I recently sold a solid rock collection from the late 60's to late 70's, about 1,200 titles.  All were in VG+ or NM condition.  Once recorded digitally and run through a simple crackle filter the sound is excellent.  

If I hear snap, crackle and pop from any album it comes off the turntable right away - unless it's something I can't find any other way.  My father's 10" LPs from the 40's and 50's were like that, but you just can't find the music in any other format. 

But, I do tend to agree with you - if buying LPs from your favorite record store make sure they can be returned if unplayable or in poor condition. 

You can do a visual check to good effect.  Where I get fooled is on classical titles from the 50's or 60's that were played on a console stereo with one of those 33/45 flipover cartridges or the older needle type.  Man, do those things do a lot of damage.

1 hour ago, SJK said:

That's true if you buy or play albums in poor condition which is too often the case.  I recently sold a solid rock collection from the late 60's to late 70's, about 1,200 titles.  All were in VG+ or NM condition.  Once recorded digitally and run through a simple crackle filter the sound is excellent.  

If I hear snap, crackle and pop from any album it comes off the turntable right away - unless it's something I can't find any other way.  My father's 10" LPs from the 40's and 50's were like that, but you just can't find the music in any other format. 

But, I do tend to agree with you - if buying LPs from your favorite record store make sure they can be returned if unplayable or in poor condition. 

You can do a visual check to good effect.  Where I get fooled is on classical titles from the 50's or 60's that were played on a console stereo with one of those 33/45 flipover cartridges or the older needle type.  Man, do those things do a lot of damage.

Yes, those old console stereos (called “brown goods” in the appliance business), were fitted with cheap record changers sporting 2-pole motors, cast aluminum “tone arms” that tracked the fitted crystal or ceramic cartridges (usually, with Osmium or sapphire styluses) at more than 10 grams! If you bought a really good one, you might luck out and get one with a British made BSR “Monarch” record changer (which at least had a 4-pole motor, and could be bought new from places like Allied Radio, Lafayette Radio, or the old Boston-based Radio Shack mail-order  houses for less than 20 bucks!). Junk like that could chew an LP up in just a few plays. Good thing LPs were cheap in those days. $3.98 for a mono LP and $4.98 for stereo.

George

56 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

speaking of nuts...  I recall using nylon nuts to attach cartridge to headshell - they were supplied and claimed to reduce mass.

That Chrysler tonearm must have had a lot of mass, or a spring to keep it on the disc.

I seem to recall it used a spring to apply downward pressure. I don’t know the tracking weight, but I suspect it was very high - maybe as much as an ounce!

George

13 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

speaking of nuts...  I recall using nylon nuts to attach cartridge to headshell - they were supplied and claimed to reduce mass.

That Chrysler tonearm must have had a lot of mass, or a spring to keep it on the disc.

Commonly people use aluminum screws and nuts- lightweight and non magnetic. You wouldn't want lots of mass in a moving system like a turntable in a car. The mass stores energy. A spring is more appropriate.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

16 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Yes, those old console stereos (called “brown goods” in the appliance business), were fitted with cheap record changers sporting 2-pole motors, cast aluminum “tone arms” that tracked the fitted crystal or ceramic cartridges (usually, with Osmium or sapphire styluses) at more than 10 grams! If you bought a really good one, you might luck out and get one with a British made BSR “Monarch” record changer (which at least had a 4-pole motor, and could be bought new from places like Allied Radio, Lafayette Radio, or the old Boston-based Radio Shack mail-order  houses for less than 20 bucks!). Junk like that could chew an LP up in just a few plays. Good thing LPs were cheap in those days. $3.98 for a mono LP and $4.98 for stereo.

Grundig-Fleetwood in our house.  Was used mostly for the radio, but it did play a lot of records as well.  That, and an RCA portable where the speakers closed over the folded up turntable.  I ended up using the RCA as an amplifier for my first "stereo", a Sony portable cassette player.  

I've had this turntable for a few years now.  It's a Clearaudio Innovation Compact.  The tonearm is the Clearaudio Universal with upgraded wiring and the VTA lifter.  Cartridge is a Dynavector Te Kaitora Rua.  

I traded in a Musical Fidelity Phono and Nu-Vista 800 integrated amplifier for the Devialet Expert Pro 440 monoblocks.  It fits a lot better into our downsizing program with now a much smaller home.  

The house was built in 1963 - you know, the ones with the tiny kitchen and tiny dining room on the end.  We made all of that space a nice big kitchen and the living room is now the dining room/stereo room.  

IMG_1197.jpg

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg