IGNORED

Pics of Turntables, Tone Arms, Cartridges, Needles & Grooves

Ralf11

18 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Turntables and tape machines, the audio equivalent of a fireplace. Look nice, but the snap, crackle, and pop can be bothersome. 

If the record is cleaned, the snap crackle and pop is gone, don't hear it. This would be noticed if there was a dedicated Turntable section at AS.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

On 2/5/2020 at 4:04 AM, Fokus said:

122924701_ahybridGyro.jpg.1cf8de6f8cb259f70f50c75a1ce920c4.jpg

Nice, a Michell Gyrodeck SE. I used to have one of those. Sold it in a weak moment. Wish every day that I hadn’t! Great record deck. But I don’t recognize the motor. Is it from the Michell Orb? Also, your suspension towers are not stock either (unless, in the ensuing years, JA Michell changed from springs to rubber bands). Mine had the Jelco SA-750 arm and the Grado Reference Signature cartridge. Best record deck ever. Don’t ever sell yours! You’ll regret it. 

George

On 2/5/2020 at 12:44 PM, Solstice380 said:

Saw these at the lighthouse museum on Whitefish Point, MI (Lake Superior).  At least the lighthouse keepers had good tunes!

Edison Standard Phonograph ca. 1901 and RCA AR-812 Radiola Super Heterodyne radio ca. 1924 both in mint condition (sorry for iPhone pics).

IMG_2988.JPG

IMG_2993.JPG

Wow! That’s the earliest superhet I’ve ever encountered. I wondered why the receiver had only two dials. Most radios, from that era, are TRF, and have multiple, interactive tuning dials. One for each RF amplifier stage. TRF made it a nightmare to tune in a station! I like the speaker too. Good “tone”, I expect!🙂

George

On 2/6/2020 at 8:02 PM, Ralf11 said:

No, it's on my Cheney Talking Machine acoustic record player - no electricity as the acoustic horn amplifies the vibrations of the needle.

We may be forced to go back to gear like that when it gets too hot on this planet x-D

On 2/6/2020 at 2:02 PM, Ralf11 said:

No, it's on my Cheney Talking Machine acoustic record player - no electricity as the acoustic horn amplifies the vibrations of the needle.

https://www.gracyk.com/cheney.shtml

not invented before electricity but before it was widespread (and also eliminates all the EMF smog issues)

sorry about the darkness in the photo - it looks a lot better on Lightroom

I couldn't help but like this. My name is Forrest too, and I also live in Grand Rapids!  :)

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

1 minute ago, mansr said:

spacer.png

It's sorta amazing that it works at all, let alone how close they came with a notion this early in the development of the medium. Regardless of where one falls on the vinyl vs CD debate, the fact there is a debate is a win for vinyl.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

10 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

aaa.jpg

9 hours ago, mansr said:

spacer.png

9 hours ago, mansr said:

spacer.png

Groovy. 😊

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa