IGNORED

PlayClassics album premiere for AS members

5 minutes ago, chrille said:

Muchas Gracias por, the free the download, yes  this is the image  and soundstage I get via my two big electrostatic speakers in my listening room.

But how big is the recording venue?

I get a rather dry very direct sound almost as if having,especially the wind instruments,actually playing in my room but the piano clearly behind the winds although a bit coloured by the quite  dry?acoustic of the venue where you made the recording.

I guess it is a very honest sound to how things sounded live. But the somewhat too dry imho recording make the winds a bit too loud and prominent in my room  if I want to hear the piano as loud as and close to how my piano sounds live in my room.

The winds dominate too much for my taste.

I think I would have put the piano in front of the winds if I had made the recording myself, and in a more reverberant acoustic.

Wind instruments project more than a piano imho, or maybe I am just biased because I wanted to compare the piano to how my own piano sounds in my room.

I'll have to find the sheet music for the Ravel and learn some of it and again compare how it will sound on my piano.

Very inspiring to hear it played so well.

Cheers and thanks a lot  Chrille

Perhaps the piano in the recording sounds distant because the recording was made from an audience and not a player's perspective.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

9 minutes ago, chrille said:

Yes of course ,but so are the wind instruments. And in my system at least they tend to overpower the piano a bit more than I would ideally like.

A direct result of the way they were  in FRONT of  the piano.

Imho there is a very good reason why winds are behind strings in virtually all orchestral recordings. And also  why the piano is always put in front of the orchestra in Concerto recordings.

You don't really  need to spot-mic it if it is placed in front but most engineers do so anyway which often renders a similar effect as the winds do in this recording.

Anyway, I am  pretty sure this recording is very  honest and close to how things sounded live.

I just happen to want to hear a bit more of the piano.

One way of getting more of the instruments behind others  without resorting to  spotmiking is to elevate the mics a bit.

I don't know how high the mics were in this recording. But I guess a bit too low for my taste in this case.

Cheers Chrille

I understand that you don't like the presentation but I'm sure that there are technical as well as artistic reasons for the setup. With real stereo and this many instruments I suspect that getting the level balance between them right must be a complicated matter.

Mario is a competent professional and his recordings are considered to be some of the finest by many here.

If you read some of his other threads you will find more information regarding how the recordings are made (maybe start here).

The mics are in the same position in every recording and there's a restricted area for positioning the performers.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mario,

As usual listening to this recording is a bit disconcerting.

The realism is tremendous and the balance is so natural that I keep turning up the volume until the medium-sized-speakers-in-a-small-room combo start to show its limitations.

I'm sure you played with the lid position? What did you end up with?

Best,

Ricardo