Jump to content
Munchoba

Not certain what Sonore really does

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

In Chris' great review of the Meitner DAC, he said:

The best sound, without question, was had by pairing the DV2 with the Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical feeding the USB input of the DV2. 

Can someone explain, in layman terms, where in my system I could use a Sonore? 

 

System: QNAP NAS, Tidal on my network---dCS Bartok Dac-streamer-XLR to Nagra amp- Acapella speakers.

Mac Mini running Roon--USB into the Bartok.

 

So, what device and where would I use it in this setup?

 

Thanks,

Bernard

 


You two men go that way...

 

 

QNAP TS-131P->2019 Mac Mini-> -> dCS BArtok  -> balanced XLR -> Nagra MPA ->Shunyata Research cables and Hydra 6 -> Acapella La Campanella 2 horn speakers and REL R-328 SubBase. HiFi Rack Reference audio stand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Munchoba said:

Hi,

 

In Chris' great review of the Meitner DAC, he said:

The best sound, without question, was had by pairing the DV2 with the Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical feeding the USB input of the DV2. 

Can someone explain, in layman terms, where in my system I could use a Sonore? 

 

System: QNAP NAS, Tidal on my network---dCS Bartok Dac-streamer-XLR to Nagra amp- Acapella speakers.

Mac Mini running Roon--USB into the Bartok.

 

So, what device and where would I use it in this setup?

 

Thanks,

Bernard

 

What other inputs does your amp have? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see a few XLR . See picture please.

thx

image.jpg

Edited by Munchoba
Cant see if photo uploaded

You two men go that way...

 

 

QNAP TS-131P->2019 Mac Mini-> -> dCS BArtok  -> balanced XLR -> Nagra MPA ->Shunyata Research cables and Hydra 6 -> Acapella La Campanella 2 horn speakers and REL R-328 SubBase. HiFi Rack Reference audio stand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems to me the Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical would fit between your Mac & dCS BArtok.

 

Both the Mac & Rendu would be connected to a network switch, one with a SFP (fiber optic port).

 

The Rendu & BArtok would connect via USB.


Eric


Ubuntu Studio Linux box (i7-9700, 8 cores, 16GB RAM, Roon, HQP) > fiber optic > MikroTik CRS305-1G-4S+ > fiber optic > opticalRendu (HQP NAA) > Holo Cyan (DSD version) > Goldpoint passive preamp > Nord One UP NC500MB mono blocks > Klipsch La Scala

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ericuco said:

Seems to me the Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical would fit between your Mac & dCS BArtok.

 

Both the Mac & Rendu would be connected to a network switch, one with a SFP (fiber optic port).

 

The Rendu & BArtok would connect via USB.

 

@Munchoba -- the bartok has network streamer capabilities built in -- the rendu series would be redundant. only reason to go with the rendu series is if you think they would sound better than the bartok on its own.

 

as mentioned above, you would connect the rendu to the bartok via usb.


source:  intel nuc8i5 (roon rock) > intel nuc6i5 (win 10, ao, roon bridge, dirac v1) > schiit yggdrasil (gen 5, analog 2)
headphone rig:  bryston bha-1 > senn hd600
two-channel rig:  luminous audio axiom ii xlr walker mod > parasound a21 > monitor audio gx100

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. I actually thought the Rendu helped with USB noise, didn't know it acted as a streamer.

I thought it went between the Mac and the Bartok also.  Not exactly sure why Chris raves about it and what it does. 

Bernard 


You two men go that way...

 

 

QNAP TS-131P->2019 Mac Mini-> -> dCS BArtok  -> balanced XLR -> Nagra MPA ->Shunyata Research cables and Hydra 6 -> Acapella La Campanella 2 horn speakers and REL R-328 SubBase. HiFi Rack Reference audio stand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Munchoba said:

Thanks. I actually thought the Rendu helped with USB noise, didn't know it acted as a streamer.

I thought it went between the Mac and the Bartok also.  Not exactly sure why Chris raves about it and what it does. 

Bernard 

If you already have a dac you like and a music server, then the rendu series make fabulous renderers/endpoints that connect to your dac via usb. They do one thing and do it really well. 

 

IMO you should use your Mac as a server and connect your Bartok to your network and use it as an endpoint. This completely eliminates the need for USB. 


source:  intel nuc8i5 (roon rock) > intel nuc6i5 (win 10, ao, roon bridge, dirac v1) > schiit yggdrasil (gen 5, analog 2)
headphone rig:  bryston bha-1 > senn hd600
two-channel rig:  luminous audio axiom ii xlr walker mod > parasound a21 > monitor audio gx100

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ericuco said:

Seems to me the Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical would fit between your Mac & dCS BArtok.

 

Both the Mac & Rendu would be connected to a network switch, one with a SFP (fiber optic port).

 

The Rendu & BArtok would connect via USB.

That is a good point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jcn3 said:

 

@Munchoba -- the bartok has network streamer capabilities built in -- the rendu series would be redundant. only reason to go with the rendu series is if you think they would sound better than the bartok on its own.

 

as mentioned above, you would connect the rendu to the bartok via usb.

Another reason is to add support for a protocol (NAA, SqueezeLite, MPD/DLNA, etc) that the dCS does not support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Another reason is to add support for a protocol (NAA, SqueezeLite, MPD/DLNA, etc) that the dCS does not support.

The Bartok does support UPNP streaming.


source:  intel nuc8i5 (roon rock) > intel nuc6i5 (win 10, ao, roon bridge, dirac v1) > schiit yggdrasil (gen 5, analog 2)
headphone rig:  bryston bha-1 > senn hd600
two-channel rig:  luminous audio axiom ii xlr walker mod > parasound a21 > monitor audio gx100

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Munchoba said:

The best sound, without question, was had by pairing the DV2 with the Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical feeding the USB input of the DV2. 

You plucked a statement which indicates that the Meitners have superseded dCS Rossini (Meitners don't have an ethernet input). A previous review also suggested the Rendu via USB was superior to the Ros's own ethernet input. We are talking about a really high value system here, so the difference in a Bartok ought to be less subtle. As with the other posters recommendations, I think you are better off to use the Bartok's ethernet input, and if you wish to elevate it further, utilise optical transmission with a pair of Sonore's opticalModules, or UpTone's EtherREGEN. Since you are using Roon, just stick with their protocol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, k-man said:

You plucked a statement which indicates that the Meitners have superseded dCS Rossini (Meitners don't have an ethernet input). A previous review also suggested the Rendu via USB was superior to the Ros's own ethernet input. We are talking about a really high value system here, so the difference in a Bartok ought to be less subtle. As with the other posters recommendations, I think you are better off to use the Bartok's ethernet input, and if you wish to elevate it further, utilise optical transmission with a pair of Sonore's opticalModules, or UpTone's EtherREGEN. Since you are using Roon, just stick with their protocol.

These are good options as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, all of you for these comments.

I have been using the Bartok on my network only for a while now, not using the MAc via USB.

Regards and Thanks again.


You two men go that way...

 

 

QNAP TS-131P->2019 Mac Mini-> -> dCS BArtok  -> balanced XLR -> Nagra MPA ->Shunyata Research cables and Hydra 6 -> Acapella La Campanella 2 horn speakers and REL R-328 SubBase. HiFi Rack Reference audio stand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...