IGNORED

Not certain what Sonore really does

Hi,

In Chris' great review of the Meitner DAC, he said:

The best sound, without question, was had by pairing the DV2 with the Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical feeding the USB input of the DV2. 

Can someone explain, in layman terms, where in my system I could use a Sonore? 

System: QNAP NAS, Tidal on my network---dCS Bartok Dac-streamer-XLR to Nagra amp- Acapella speakers.

Mac Mini running Roon--USB into the Bartok.

So, what device and where would I use it in this setup?

Thanks,

Bernard

You two men go that way...

QNAP TS-131P->2019 Mac Mini-> -> dCS BArtok  -> balanced XLR -> Nagra MPA ->Shunyata Research cables and Hydra 6 -> Acapella La Campanella 2 horn speakers and REL R-328 SubBase. HiFi Rack Reference audio stand.

4 hours ago, Munchoba said:

Hi,

In Chris' great review of the Meitner DAC, he said:

The best sound, without question, was had by pairing the DV2 with the Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical feeding the USB input of the DV2. 

Can someone explain, in layman terms, where in my system I could use a Sonore? 

System: QNAP NAS, Tidal on my network---dCS Bartok Dac-streamer-XLR to Nagra amp- Acapella speakers.

Mac Mini running Roon--USB into the Bartok.

So, what device and where would I use it in this setup?

Thanks,

Bernard

What other inputs does your amp have? 

I see a few XLR . See picture please.

thx

image.jpg

QNAP TS-131P->2019 Mac Mini-> -> dCS BArtok  -> balanced XLR -> Nagra MPA ->Shunyata Research cables and Hydra 6 -> Acapella La Campanella 2 horn speakers and REL R-328 SubBase. HiFi Rack Reference audio stand.

14 minutes ago, ericuco said:

Seems to me the Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical would fit between your Mac & dCS BArtok.

Both the Mac & Rendu would be connected to a network switch, one with a SFP (fiber optic port).

The Rendu & BArtok would connect via USB.

@Munchoba -- the bartok has network streamer capabilities built in -- the rendu series would be redundant. only reason to go with the rendu series is if you think they would sound better than the bartok on its own.

as mentioned above, you would connect the rendu to the bartok via usb.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Thanks. I actually thought the Rendu helped with USB noise, didn't know it acted as a streamer.

I thought it went between the Mac and the Bartok also.  Not exactly sure why Chris raves about it and what it does. 

Bernard 

7 minutes ago, Munchoba said:

Thanks. I actually thought the Rendu helped with USB noise, didn't know it acted as a streamer.

I thought it went between the Mac and the Bartok also.  Not exactly sure why Chris raves about it and what it does. 

Bernard 

If you already have a dac you like and a music server, then the rendu series make fabulous renderers/endpoints that connect to your dac via usb. They do one thing and do it really well. 

IMO you should use your Mac as a server and connect your Bartok to your network and use it as an endpoint. This completely eliminates the need for USB. 

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
2 hours ago, ericuco said:

Seems to me the Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical would fit between your Mac & dCS BArtok.

Both the Mac & Rendu would be connected to a network switch, one with a SFP (fiber optic port).

The Rendu & BArtok would connect via USB.

That is a good point.

1 hour ago, jcn3 said:

@Munchoba -- the bartok has network streamer capabilities built in -- the rendu series would be redundant. only reason to go with the rendu series is if you think they would sound better than the bartok on its own.

as mentioned above, you would connect the rendu to the bartok via usb.

Another reason is to add support for a protocol (NAA, SqueezeLite, MPD/DLNA, etc) that the dCS does not support.

3 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Another reason is to add support for a protocol (NAA, SqueezeLite, MPD/DLNA, etc) that the dCS does not support.

The Bartok does support UPNP streaming.

22 hours ago, Munchoba said:

You plucked a statement which indicates that the Meitners have superseded dCS Rossini (Meitners don't have an ethernet input). A previous review also suggested the Rendu via USB was superior to the Ros's own ethernet input. We are talking about a really high value system here, so the difference in a Bartok ought to be less subtle. As with the other posters recommendations, I think you are better off to use the Bartok's ethernet input, and if you wish to elevate it further, utilise optical transmission with a pair of Sonore's opticalModules, or UpTone's EtherREGEN. Since you are using Roon, just stick with their protocol.

3 hours ago, k-man said:

You plucked a statement which indicates that the Meitners have superseded dCS Rossini (Meitners don't have an ethernet input). A previous review also suggested the Rendu via USB was superior to the Ros's own ethernet input. We are talking about a really high value system here, so the difference in a Bartok ought to be less subtle. As with the other posters recommendations, I think you are better off to use the Bartok's ethernet input, and if you wish to elevate it further, utilise optical transmission with a pair of Sonore's opticalModules, or UpTone's EtherREGEN. Since you are using Roon, just stick with their protocol.

These are good options as well. 

Thank you, all of you for these comments.

I have been using the Bartok on my network only for a while now, not using the MAc via USB.

Regards and Thanks again.