IGNORED

Can I catch Confirmation Virus from a Old Leica Lens?

Ralf11

10 hours ago, gmgraves said:

When you get to the point that you always decide to not take your camera gear along with you when you go out because you don’t want to lug it around, then that’s when these SLR-like non-interchangeable lens digital cameras start looking really attractive. I can shoot stills, H-D video and have every focal length from ultra wide angle to super telephoto at the touch of a button!

Yes! Again, my prior use of the Leica M was precisely because I found myself not lugging (sic 😂) around the SLR.

I totally agree that these little cameras allow you to capture the shots that lack of camera would miss!!! That said the iPhone is also serving a similar need.

For me the Sony A7 (or similar mirrorless) hits a sweet spot for full frame, (and adapts to all my old lenses) and smaller sensor ultra zoom fills in quite nicely.

Many times it’s not the ultimate lens quality but fact that you have a camera there! Interestingly there are iPhone apps that add bokeh, and reduce the depth of field/mimic low f stop. 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

18 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

but do they seem "analog" like the old Leica Glow lenses??

The main problem, in my own experience, is not lack of sharpness, rather the typically long depth of field (high f-stop) so everything is in focus. Typically the larger the sensor (large format film included) the more shallow the depth of field. The “glow” can be the background. 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

I'm not a fan of SuperZooms.  I mainly use a 24-100 (MM equiv. in FF) Panasonic-Leica lens on a m43 camera.  It gives more depth of field than a larger sensor does.  I can use a Nikon or a Hassy C/M body for less DoF.

The 'glow' in old Leica lenses is claimed to be the result of spherical aberration of highlights - in the article linked above, and elsewhere too.

The Leica "look" reminds of some audio issues - euphonic tube sound, vinyl sound, etc.