IGNORED

Can I catch Confirmation Virus from a Old Leica Lens?

Ralf11

I was doing some reading about the old pre-Asph leica lenses recently, and it struck me that there are a number of parallels to audiophile products:

- there was a lot of argument about whether these lenses really did render differently

- then more arguments on what the mechanism was if they did...

- and finally, numerous claims that they did and while not as accurate, it was more pleasing to the eye

I actually think there is something about Leica lenses, and not just the old ones that sell for $4,000 to $9,000 either.

I use the 'cheap' Panasonic-Leica lenses on my m43 cameras (one was only $300 used) and they do seem to render differently - on landscapes the clouds look real special.  Maybe distortion but eu-optic distortion...

It seems there are 3 effects going on:

1. Bokeh effects, as you mentioned (esp. avoidance of 'ring' or donut shapes)

2. micro-contrast

3. Leica "Glow" - which is clearly due to spherical aberrations in the old lenses and the effects on highlights

Interestingly, the modern trend in lens design is to make them razor sharp all the way across even in corners, and more accurate.

3 hours ago, lucretius said:

There appears to be general agreement (though this could be wrong) that the lenses are designed and produced by Panasonic but the designs are submitted for approval to Leica with respect to their optical characteristics and manufacturing tolerances. Hence, Panasonic-Leica lenses are required to meet a set of demanding quality standards established by Leica but are otherwise the result of Japanese optical manufacturing excellence.  Does this make sense?

where did you hear that?

I'm not a fan of SuperZooms.  I mainly use a 24-100 (MM equiv. in FF) Panasonic-Leica lens on a m43 camera.  It gives more depth of field than a larger sensor does.  I can use a Nikon or a Hassy C/M body for less DoF.

The 'glow' in old Leica lenses is claimed to be the result of spherical aberration of highlights - in the article linked above, and elsewhere too.

The Leica "look" reminds of some audio issues - euphonic tube sound, vinyl sound, etc.