IGNORED

A Well-Sorted Rig

Ralf11

I do not like the word “rig” I keep thinking of “oil rig”. Must be an American thing to call there beloved piece of hardware a rig.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

Horror of horrors ... I used the forum search, with the term "rig" - hmm, 195 pages of 'abuse' of the word; starting in 2008 ... oh dear, who was the very first offender ... my goodness, our dear Chris, 😝 - and again, on the next last page, by date order 😉.

Yes, a system is as good as a rig, by the dictionary - I just feel that there is a sense of greater integrity implied by the term "system", as compared to the other.

22 minutes ago, RickyV said:

ah, didn’t know that.
well-sorted and “ makeshift or hasty way” may not go well together.

I don't know about that.  "Well-sorted" just means the components are "suitably matched"; it doesn't imply their was careful selection. The components could be suitably matched despite being put together in a hasty way. ☺️

mQa is dead!

1 hour ago, gmgraves said:

Well, a “rig”, other than referring to a tractor/trailer 18-wheeler truck, was first used by amateur radio operators (Hams) to describe their set-ups. So it’s kind of natural for audiophiles to appropriate the term. After all, they are both comprised of a bunch of separate components connected together to achieve a single goal.

It was used as a noun long before Ham Operators used it. 

https://www.etymonline.com/word/rig

11 minutes ago, lucretius said:

I don't know about that.  "Well-sorted" just means the components are "suitably matched"; it doesn't imply their was careful selection. The components could be suitably matched despite being put together in a hasty way. ☺️

This might go for hifi but not for high-end audio.

Under development:

31 minutes ago, lucretius said:

What I learnt over 35 years ago was that there was a massive difference in what one heard if one simply dumped whatever one was using in some convenient spot, hooked it together, and switched it on - as compared to fine tuning every last aspect of how the parts were connected, and organised. And absolutely nothing was ever organised with regard to the room, and still isn't, to this day.

"Matching" I would only worry about in the sense that the amplifier can work in a 'comfort zone', internally, when driving whatever speakers to higher SPLs - the gruntiest amplifier, with highly efficient speakers, is the easy choice here.

49 minutes ago, lucretius said:

“Suitably matched” is not good enough, they should be perfectly matched.

The components should be carefully selected, 

“hasty way” no it take a lot of time. (Included acoustic treatment 😁)

So what you wrote may work for hifi but not for high-end.

ps OMG post 666 I hope I’ll live to see tomorrow 😈.

Under development:

47 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

“perfectly matched” is not good enough, they should be bit-perfectly matched.

Just like both of your ears are, and the left and right hemispheres of your brain are, and both of Frank's tiny lap top speakers are ?

You both must have well sorted rigs 9_9

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

5 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

“perfectly matched” is not good enough, they should be bit-perfectly matched.

Indeed even amps and speakers. 😃

Under development:

A well sorted rig, means that when music starts playing you'll believe you are at the recording alive when the recording was made. 

Another definition might be when your rig contributes less total alteration in the signal it is fed than in the original signal itself.  Using this definition, at least 99 % of the time speakers will prevent this from being possible.  On the flip side, the contributions of mixing and mastering will be such that any kind of speaker or rig that can buzz a tune out is good enough to be well sorted 99% of the time.   

Rig, system, stereo, playback solution, music machine, audiophile temple, .....basically all are synonymous. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

1 hour ago, marce said:

Hi-Fi means hi fidelity, does this mean high-end is not hi fidelity!

fidelity
noun U ]

US 

/fəˈdel·ɪ·t̬i/

fidelity noun  (BEING LOYAL)

the state of remaining loyal to someone and keeping the promises you made to that person

fidelity noun  (ACCURACY)

the degree to which a copy of something shows the truecharacter of the original
The fidelity of the tape recordingwas so poor that you could not understand much of what was said.

Under development: