IGNORED

A Well-Sorted Rig

Ralf11

Ummm, to me, it means that the setup has been listened to carefully, the audible weaknesses noted, and sensible 'remedies' applied - which could range from merely organising how the power cords are plugged in, through to diving inside every box, and doing major rejigging of the internals, and how each box is connected to the next ... doing what it takes to make the most of the intrinsic potential of the circuit, and parts.

A simple, non-audio example - a well sorted TV is one where all the accessible settings are spot on, or close enough to such, that one always gets a satisfying picture 😁 - you're not wasting any of the potential of the set, by ignoring procedures that can minimise inaccurate presentation.

40 minutes ago, stuck limo said:

A well sorted rig means all the components are carefully matched and work well together (synergy). There are no weaknesses to the system. Thought and care have been placed into the components and the system was designed to sound a specific way..

..or in a way which in opinion of the owner can be simply called 'neutral', I think you will agree. 

This is IMO a very good subjectivist response. 

For an objectivist the answer is (as usual) : a well sorted system is a system in which every component not only measures well but also is (objectively, measurably) a good match for other components.

The important thing in this case is not to pay too much attention to the cables ;)

Or to what it sounds like for that matter ;) ;) ;)

I believe after all these posts the OP has all the data necessary to sort it all out in his head..

9_9

A well-sorted rig is something like a well-sorted aircraft - get it a tiny bit wrong with the latter - "close enough is good enough" - and you have fields strewn with metal debris. And other stuff. ... It could even lead to an aircraft manufacturer struggling a bit ...

People ears, and brains, are far more 'forgiving' ...something in the general area of doing things reasonably well keeps most people happy ... so long as it looks good. And if it doesn't "sound right" then you can just blame other forces ... like the people who made the recording, 🙂

I only started using the term "rig" because I was seeing it being used in other audio forums, very regularly ...in the sense of it having some meaning, I would use "rig" as being the combination of various components, merely connected together with only a basic consideration of how there may be negative consequences, from, say, one component interfering with another. A "system", by contrast, is where all those sorts of factors are given full or much better consideration - in this sense, active speakers like the Dutch & Dutch units have every right to be called, a system.

A "well sorted computer system" is easy to recognise, because ones that are not rouse high levels of fury in the users 😀 - take an older version of Windows, try and do multiple things, at once ... and feel the levels of agitation rise ... 😉.

12 hours ago, fas42 said:

I only started using the term "rig" because I was seeing it being used in other audio forums, very regularly ...in the sense of it having some meaning, I would use "rig" as being the combination of various components, merely connected together with only a basic consideration of how there may be negative consequences, from, say, one component interfering with another. A "system", by contrast, is where all those sorts of factors are given full or much better consideration - in this sense, active speakers like the Dutch & Dutch units have every right to be called, a system.

A "well sorted computer system" is easy to recognise, because ones that are not rouse high levels of fury in the users 😀 - take an older version of Windows, try and do multiple things, at once ... and feel the levels of agitation rise ... 😉.

Re the definition of "system", this dictionary, https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us/definition/english/system?q=system, states it best:

• A group of things, pieces of equipment, etc. that are connected or work together.

Another definition from https://www.lexico.com/definition/system:

• A set of things working together as parts of a mechanism or an interconnecting network; a complex whole.

Another definition from https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/system:

• A group of devices or artificial objects or an organization forming a network especially for distributing something or serving a common purpose.

It is clear that a bunch of audio components assembled together to playback music, etc. forms a "system".  The definition does not include (or exclude) "all those sorts of factors are given full or much better consideration".  The latter is Frank's personal definition.

mQa is dead!

ACEFE703-0932-4C4D-B616-DB90D45B6696.jpeg.3601e83b71891f9d0b8a9d6fcd08f80c.jpeg

sorry, could not resist.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2