sphinxsix

You probably think that your amp is worth more than 1980 Pioneer receiver :)

Rate this topic

The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Mark the music.

―  William Shakespeare.

not just any cables, quantum aligned cables...

Its neat and all, but not worth anywhere near that price...  I could easily find a trashed one, refurb it to better than new condition for 20+ thousand less.

No electron left behind...

14 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

they must have included audiophile cables

The price is to low for that, probably only quality power chord.. 9_9

The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Mark the music.

―  William Shakespeare.

This item is getting lots of attention on audiophile forums today.  The one thing no one has pointed out in this thread is that the receiver is basically New Old Stock.  Nostalgia can be quite expensive.

28 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

This item is getting lots of attention on audiophile forums today.  The one thing no one has pointed out in this thread is that the receiver is basically New Old Stock.  Nostalgia can be quite expensive.

Besides, this is a long ways from her actually getting and keeping that money. This wouldn't be the first overly high bid on eBay that didn't go through.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

35 minutes ago, 4est said:

Besides, this is a long ways from her actually getting and keeping that money. This wouldn't be the first overly high bid on eBay that didn't go through.

Not saying I disagree.  Seems just about everyone is assuming the winning bid is bogus.  I'm not so sure.

it is very nice looking, though.  i always loved that styling.

source:  intel nuc8i5 (roon rock) > intel nuc6i5 (win 10, ao, roon bridge, dirac v1) > schiit yggdrasil (gen 5, analog 2)
headphone rig:  bryston bha-1 > senn hd600
two-channel rig:  luminous audio axiom ii xlr walker mod > parasound a21 > monitor audio gx100

14 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

but it wouldn't have NIB provenance

that magic word again...

Singers sell for more than a stock 911... 😉

but Singers sell for LESS than an early all-original 911 especially ones with a lot of provenance

like ya know, oodles & oodles of it

3 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Since it is open box, no manuals, and a smudge where the inputs are, I don't think you can call it new old stock.

15 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Since it is open box, no manuals, and a smudge where the inputs are, I don't think you can call it new old stock.

Agreed.  But it may very well be the closest to NOS for someone looking for one of these receivers, hence the absurd bid price.

3 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Not saying I disagree.  Seems just about everyone is assuming the winning bid is bogus.  I'm not so sure.

Oh, I am sure it could be real. I've seen it before. It is whether or not the deal finalizes- and it may. Good for the seller if so. There are a lot of people that think this is chump change for something they really want. Think of the bragging rights or what have you. As for me, I wouldn't even spend a grand on it.

Forrest:

how much for a Pioneer Elite m-90 power amp the c-90 preamp the tuner and the 6 disc CD changer all 1988 or so

6 hours ago, gmgraves said:

The ad didn’t mention capacitors. If they weren’t replaced, the thing isn’t even worth US$100!

Yeah. I cannot imagine how many of them there are in there either. Some caps last a lot better than others. I doubt these do though...

Forrest:

1 hour ago, 4est said:

Yeah. I cannot imagine how many of them there are in there either. Some caps last a lot better than others. I doubt these do though...

There was a video of a project where the guy refurbished a Pioneer SX-1980. Apparently, he replaced 133 caps, not including those on the FM board (which he did not replace).

Are dried up caps also not a problem for the US $26,200 unit posted on Ebay (manufactured between 1978-80)?  If so, then one should pay less for a "new, open box" unit than a properly refurbished unit.

1 hour ago, lucretius said:

There was a video of a project where the guy refurbished a Pioneer SX-1980. Apparently, he replaced 133 caps, not including those on the FM board (which he did not replace).

Are dried up caps also not a problem for the US $26,200 unit posted on Ebay (manufactured between 1978-80)?  If so, then one should pay less for a "new, open box" unit than a properly refurbished unit.

Film caps can last nearly forever, electrolytic ones not so much. In part how the unit gets turned on will make a difference. Using a variac is the way to go. Just putting full power to something this old is asking for it.

Forrest:

2 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

In US Dollars it’s 26 thousand.  

Decimals and commas are mixed up. In North America, the decimal separates dollars and cents. Something is amiss here. Can't see eBay making an error in displaying it like this?

3 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

In US Dollars it’s 26 thousand.  

He's referring to the European-style period as thousands separator used on the Dutch Ebay site. Such mix-ups have been the subject of legal disputes.

1 hour ago, Daren F said:

Decimals and commas are mixed up. In North America, the decimal separates dollars and cents. Something is amiss here. Can't see eBay making an error in displaying it like this?

Or that's the actual price...