IGNORED

You probably think that your amp is worth more than 1980 Pioneer receiver :)

28 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

This item is getting lots of attention on audiophile forums today.  The one thing no one has pointed out in this thread is that the receiver is basically New Old Stock.  Nostalgia can be quite expensive.

Besides, this is a long ways from her actually getting and keeping that money. This wouldn't be the first overly high bid on eBay that didn't go through.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

3 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

This item is getting lots of attention on audiophile forums today.  The one thing no one has pointed out in this thread is that the receiver is basically New Old Stock.  Nostalgia can be quite expensive.

Since it is open box, no manuals, and a smudge where the inputs are, I don't think you can call it new old stock.

mQa is dead!

3 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Not saying I disagree.  Seems just about everyone is assuming the winning bid is bogus.  I'm not so sure.

Oh, I am sure it could be real. I've seen it before. It is whether or not the deal finalizes- and it may. Good for the seller if so. There are a lot of people that think this is chump change for something they really want. Think of the bragging rights or what have you. As for me, I wouldn't even spend a grand on it.

Forrest:

6 hours ago, gmgraves said:

The ad didn’t mention capacitors. If they weren’t replaced, the thing isn’t even worth US$100!

Yeah. I cannot imagine how many of them there are in there either. Some caps last a lot better than others. I doubt these do though...

Forrest:

1 hour ago, 4est said:

Yeah. I cannot imagine how many of them there are in there either. Some caps last a lot better than others. I doubt these do though...

There was a video of a project where the guy refurbished a Pioneer SX-1980. Apparently, he replaced 133 caps, not including those on the FM board (which he did not replace).

Are dried up caps also not a problem for the US $26,200 unit posted on Ebay (manufactured between 1978-80)?  If so, then one should pay less for a "new, open box" unit than a properly refurbished unit.

mQa is dead!

1 hour ago, lucretius said:

There was a video of a project where the guy refurbished a Pioneer SX-1980. Apparently, he replaced 133 caps, not including those on the FM board (which he did not replace).

Are dried up caps also not a problem for the US $26,200 unit posted on Ebay (manufactured between 1978-80)?  If so, then one should pay less for a "new, open box" unit than a properly refurbished unit.

Film caps can last nearly forever, electrolytic ones not so much. In part how the unit gets turned on will make a difference. Using a variac is the way to go. Just putting full power to something this old is asking for it.

Forrest: