IGNORED

Schiit Audio Releases its Unison USB Upgrade

Just now, JoeWhip said:

I do not think there are many if any recordings that actually have 24 bits of resolution. Schiit addresses this is the FAQ section n the Yggy on their website.

Yes they do, but they don't explain how in the hell that transfers to all the 24 bit files I have here to play through it.

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Same thing that happens if you send your DAC a 32 bit file. 

What happens? My DAC says I can send it 32/768 files and that's what HQPlayer says it is sending it. Would HQPlayer tell me it is sending a 21 bit file to the Yggy?

No electron left behind.

Right now, it will support up to 24/192. It will not decode anything higher natively even though internally, the megaburrito filter processes at DXD sampling rates. There is an 8x light on the front for the possible inclusion of DXD files in the future, which will need the inclusion of a new card as well as a software refresh. I wouldn’t hold my breath though on that one. As for 24 bit files, they sound great, provided they were well engineered and mastered. BTW, how many DACs actually are true 24 bit anyway? I am not aware of any. 24 bit is relevant for recording, not really for playback.

1 minute ago, JoeWhip said:

That 24 bit file in all likelihood is not filled with 24 bits of resolution, maybe 18 or 19. The rest is zeros, so it doesn’t matter. Think of a 3/4 filled bucket. The 3/4 of water matters, not the 1/4 of air.

Ok, so now that makes some more sense. Thank you.

No electron left behind.

On 1/29/2020 at 10:02 PM, matthias said:

After releasing Unison I hope Schiit will launch this year as well the matching CD transport with USB output.

Matt

Ten days ago Mike Moffat posted on SBAF:

"We lost John Prine this week. The next day Ivana shows up and before the sun went down the Unison USB Out worked. Fuck-ton of bugs but good enough to compare to S/PDIF out." 

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

2 hours ago, matthias said:

Ten days ago Mike Moffat posted on SBAF:

"We lost John Prine this week. The next day Ivana shows up and before the sun went down the Unison USB Out worked. Fuck-ton of bugs but good enough to compare to S/PDIF out." 

Matt

Can you link it?   I need to read the context, please.

It all depends upon in what dimension of life one finds themselves living in.  For, one man's music is another man's noise. 

This quote is only part of Mike’s post. It clearly refers to Unison USB OUT as he differerentiates it from USB IN. This is the USB out for the rumored CD transport. I don’t know if the poster intended this as FUD regarding Unison Input but if you take the time to find and read the whole posting by Mike, it is very clear what he was referring to.

1 hour ago, GeneZ said:

Can you link it?   I need to read the context, please.

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/the-mike-moffat-2-at-schiit-blog.3507/page-55#post-296332

The upcoming Unison output CD transport and the Unison input Yggdrasil will certainly be a perfect match.......

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

Hi All,

I've had an unhappy experience from "upgrading" my Yggdrasil to the Unison USB interface. It may just be due to my stupidity, but in case anyone else is as stupid as me I thought I'd memorialize it here so people might find it if they Google it.

Chris, feel free to move this to the Aurender thread if you think it should be over there.

Okay here goes: My Aurender N100C worked fine using USB into the Yggdrasil for a couple years. The N100C has USB and Coax outputs, but I've always preferred the sound using USB. Then when I saw all the hype about the Unison I decided to send the Ygg to Schiit to have it installed.

I got the Ygg back with the Unison installed. Now every time I fast forward from one track to the next on the N100C, a loud half-second buzz is generated. The buzz occurs with both locally stored and streamed content, and even when skipping from one internet radio station to another. It was driving me nuts.

I swapped out the Yggdrasil for a Peachtree DAC iTx. No buzz!

I contacted Schiit, and their support guy told me Unison only works with Windows 10, Mac OSX, iOS, or Android. "It will most likely not work with a regular Linux system."

I went back and looked at the email Schiit sent out announcing the Unison, looked on their website, etc., and I may have missed it, but I don't see anywhere where they said anything like "No support for Linux" or "Only works with Windows and Mac OS" or something similar.

I understand hardware manufacturers can't be expected to know the compatibility of every single component out there, but IMO Aurender isn't an obscure brand, and Linux isn't an exotic OS these days. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

So anyway now I've spent four hundred bucks on the upgrade, shipping, and insurance, and I have a DAC that has gone from working perfectly in my system to not doing so, and I'm pretty ticked off. I guess I'm mad at a combination of Schiit and myself, and I should probably take most of the blame, which just makes it worse. When I checked the Aurender website just now the only Schiit DAC it shows to be compatible is the Bifrost.

The Aurender sounds too damned good to get rid of. I don't know what I'll do now. I may think about selling the Yggdrasil and getting another DAC. Right now I'm too bummed to think about it.

Jeff

3 minutes ago, Jeff_N said:

Hi All,

I've had an unhappy experience from "upgrading" my Yggdrasil to the Unison USB interface. It may just be due to my stupidity, but in case anyone else is as stupid as me I thought I'd memorialize it here so people might find it if they Google it.

Chris, feel free to move this to the Aurender thread if you think it should be over there.

Okay here goes: My Aurender N100C worked fine using USB into the Yggdrasil for a couple years. The N100C has USB and Coax outputs, but I've always preferred the sound using USB. Then when I saw all the hype about the Unison I decided to send the Ygg to Schiit to have it installed.

I got the Ygg back with the Unison installed. Now every time I fast forward from one track to the next on the N100C, a loud half-second buzz is generated. The buzz occurs with both locally stored and streamed content, and even when skipping from one internet radio station to another. It was driving me nuts.

I swapped out the Yggdrasil for a Peachtree DAC iTx. No buzz!

I contacted Schiit, and their support guy told me Unison only works with Windows 10, Mac OSX, iOS, or Android. "It will most likely not work with a regular Linux system."

I went back and looked at the email Schiit sent out announcing the Unison, looked on their website, etc., and I may have missed it, but I don't see anywhere where they said anything like "No support for Linux" or "Only works with Windows and Mac OS" or something similar.

I understand hardware manufacturers can't be expected to know the compatibility of every single component out there, but IMO Aurender isn't an obscure brand, and Linux isn't an exotic OS these days. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

So anyway now I've spent four hundred bucks on the upgrade, shipping, and insurance, and I have a DAC that has gone from working perfectly in my system to not doing so, and I'm pretty ticked off. I guess I'm mad at a combination of Schiit and myself, and I should probably take most of the blame, which just makes it worse. When I checked the Aurender website just now the only Schiit DAC it shows to be compatible is the Bifrost.

The Aurender sounds too damned good to get rid of. I don't know what I'll do now. I may think about selling the Yggdrasil and getting another DAC. Right now I'm too bummed to think about it.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, thanks for the information. All is not lost. This can be fixed, but will take some work.

Let's pull in @AriMargolis from Aurender to see if the company has experienced this issue or can duplicated it. Perhaps, an update to the Aurender Linux OS can fix this for every Schiit owner.

I'll connect my Yggy (with Unison update) to my Aurender now to see if I can help.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hey all, yes, @Jeff_N and I have been in touch about this already and Aurender has been trying (unsuccessfully) to get rid of that nasty buzz on our end. Unfortunately I'm afraid we're not going to be able to solve the problem remotely, BUT i'm going to reach out to Schiit to see if they would be so kind to furnish us with a loaner DAC for testing. The Aurender software wizards in Korea have managed to patch small issues like this with DACs from other manufactures. We'll see if we can achieve full compatibility with the Unison if we can obtain a loaner. Thanks for reaching out. @The Computer Audiophile

5 minutes ago, AriMargolis said:

Hey all, yes, @Jeff_N and I have been in touch about this already and Aurender has been trying (unsuccessfully) to get rid of that nasty buzz on our end. Unfortunately I'm afraid we're not going to be able to solve the problem remotely, BUT i'm going to reach out to Yggdrasil to see if they would be so kind to furnish us with a loaner DAC for testing. The Aurender software wizards in Korea have managed to patch small issues like this with DACs from other manufactures. We'll see if we can achieve full compatibility with the Unison if we can obtain a loaner. Thanks for reaching out. @The Computer Audiophile

Is this possibly a sync delay issue? Do you have the option in the Aurender to add 50~200ms delay for DAC sync?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Wow, I didn't expect any help at all, much less this quickly. Thank you Chris and Ari.

Davide, there is an option in the Aurender software to delay start the next track by a number of seconds, and I tried a few different values, but it didn't solve the problem. Thanks for the suggestion.

I dodged a bullet today! I was literally minutes from ordering a Linux-based Roon Nucleus when I saw the last few posts. I had no idea the Unison board had such limited compatibility. Windows 10, Mac OSX, iOS and Android only? That's a short and particular list.  I want to replace my Mac Mini with a dedicated device, for all the familiar reasons, but this is a real stumbling block now that I have installed the Unison board. Guess I will stick with the Mac for the foreseeable future.