IGNORED

Schiit Audio Releases its Unison USB Upgrade

^^^ Reminds me of a audiophile group meeting i went to in Rancho Bernardo...One of the people that came was a "retired" editor for a main magazine (i think it may have been stereophile...but don't quote me)...but the biggest thing i got out of that meeting was when he publicly acknowledged how happy he is to be retired where he can openly talk about his true feelings about everything, and didn't have to get creative with his use of words....I guess I always realized that, but it was just entertaining for someone in the profession to come out and say it publicly....I wish I noted his name. 

3 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

A web player that uses this "CIFS" sounds "groovy".

If Wikipedia is to be trusted, Samba got it's name changed to CIFS in 1996. CIFS is short for the "Common Internet File System" and runs on practically every OS of including  Linux, WIndows and OSX. Competitors are NFS and AFS, among others, often associated with Sun Computers and Carnegie Mellon University respectively.

Aurender runs on a custom Linux so CIFS support is no surprise since CIFS exists on all Linux distros including audiophile versions like AudioLinux, Euphony, and a ton of others. Most NAS machines use Linux and CIFS.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

1 hour ago, beerandmusic said:

smile...before you answered, i edited my previous post above....(wink)

figured it would be a political answer.

Rather offensive, no?

Home: Melco N1A/2 | EtherRegen+Farad | UltraRendu+Farad | Denafrips Gaia | Denafrips Terminator Plus | Jeff Rowland Coherence II Series 2 pre | Blue Circle Audio BC-202 amp | Raidho XT-1 | 2 Revel Performa3 B112 subwoofers  | PS Audio DS Power Plant 12 

Home Office: IsoRegen+LPS1.2 | Denafrips Iris | Denafrips Venus 2 | Blue Circle Audio SBT preamp|  Eddie Current Zana Deux Super | Hifiman HE-1000SE | PS Audio DS Power Plant 12

Office:  Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE w/preamp module | Blue Circle Audio BC-28 amp | Raidho X-1 | REL T/5x sub

45 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Back on topic...

Having forgotten this, I laughed when I read one of  his recent contributions here as @baldr. I finally figured out that the owner of a company named Schiit, use of the common phrase "sounds like shit" may not be the best marketing move. 

😁

depends....can be "good schitt" or "badass schitt" ...whatever he did,, seems that it worked well for marketing.

1 hour ago, baldr said:

Well, I am sitting here listening to Wagner’s Parsifal which has the reputation of being the longest opera ever written. Gives rise to some thought……….. This particular version is played by Rudolf Moralt (Ricard Strauss’ nephew) conducting the Vienna State Opera, one the very best in the world. Some 50 years ago, the director was asked (in a very pre-diversity world) why the orchestra would not accept auditions from those outside Austria. The answer was that the Staatsoper (State Opera) was a Austrian institution and needed to preserve its unique, excellent, and above all Viennese sound.

So what does this have to do with Schiit? Or for that matter, its better competitors? How about the fact that the chief designers produce a by-and large unique sound. The Schiit digital sound is directly a product of what I like. The influence was cemented when I met my hero designer, Peter Walker in the bar of the Blackstone Hotel in the very early 1970s, when CES shows were still in Chicago. Mr. Walker was the main design guy at Acoustical Mfg. Co., makers of the Quad Electrostatic Speaker. He explained to me that the purpose of a music reproduction system was to do just that – to reproduce the sound – to come as close as possible to the sound of the original. Now before I am adjudged to be a classical geek, I freely admit to the attendant guilt of being an unapologetic deadhead. So much so, that my daughter was conceived at a Grateful Dead Concert. (It was a different world back then – the concerts were at Parks rather than theaters, and most couples brought their own blankets and pillows).

Now I have trouble with electronic music. The problem is not like/dislike but how to judge the original sound. Now I never, but never, tune or distune my stuff for a given sound. I judge my gear by how an oboe, violin, strat, telecaster, Les Paul, etc. sound. That’s my goal sound.

Now I am willing to build almost anything, providing it contributes to the above. The first ds dac I built, was astonishingly insipid, out of the Crystal 4328 series. Really elegant math and totally cool design features. Like a beautiful woman with no heart. Really complicated hardware and design guides so any cretin can build one. That’s why there are so many of them out there. Hey, I have a couple of them in Schiit production myself. They are all both under a couple of hundred bucks. My rules are if I can’t build a better sounding multibit DAC for the money, that is where ds dacs are justified. Or maybe in surround decoders which I will never build anyway.. I prefer a beautiful Multibit woman with maybea mole on her face that gets it on like the Easter Bunny (Sorry John). That’s why whenever it doesn’t have to be cheap, cheap, cheap or in a surround sound decoder, I go for multibit. Sounds more like the original to me. The DSD, etc. is more of the ds same with really cooler math, more reduced bits quicker, and beautiful women who start to look like anime. Also not a lot of software. More bits is better, way better.

Now re building new stuff or stuff out of my repertoire – bring it on. If I believe it is gonna help my work consistent with the above goal or is an interesting thing - I’m in there. The gadget, the expander (in proto but not out yet.) I know a lot more about low-level USB receiver and host design than I did a year and a half ago. Now, neither Jason nor myself are experts at polka music, ballet, or UI software. Therefore never, but NEVER will we build a streamer.

The gizmo is definitely two USBs to a Unison Host. That was called perfectly.

The transport proto is a CD spinner with S/Pdif and USB outs and some other features I forget. It is the worst transport/spinner I have ever used, except all of the others I have built or tried.

Wow. Now I understand why I've always liked Sсhiit's products, and why my current DAC is a multi-bit Gungnir. Parsifal in archive sound, Classics, Grateful Dead. Everything's in place 🙂

1 hour ago, baldr said:

Now, neither Jason nor myself are experts at polka music, ballet, or UI software. Therefore never, but NEVER will we build a streamer. The transport proto is a CD spinner with S/Pdif and USB outs and

some other features I forget.

It is the worst transport/spinner I have ever used, except all of the others I have built or tried.

Understood and as expected (e.g. no experience at UI software), but maybe you could consider teaming with someone some day for a one-off project....could be a killer and break up the monotony...

Either way your dacs have always had some "magic juice" that I can't really find a word for other than just "lively", where all others just seemed "flat" in some way, and kudos for your great work on unison.

inre, "some other features I forget", of course you had to leave us hanging (smile).

9 hours ago, mourip said:

How about saying Roon "sounds bloated to me" or "sounds bloated with my equipment"?

It certainly does not sounded "bloated" on my own system and to me.

apologies..i didnt mean the music sounded bloated..but the interface concept sounds bloated....i personally just like to browse my own file structure and pick music that way, i realize others may prefer the interface as it is...i don't even know what musically sounds bloated would even mean (grin).

We were talking about the interface...anyway, rewording, i should have said, the interface concept sounds like a cool idea, but i like a simpler interface.  (i believe if they offered a feature where you could browse by folder in addition to the "more bloated" interface that would appeal to more people including myself).  I certainly wasn't referring to how the music sounds, and apologize i was misunderstood for my lack of clarity.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2020 at 5:47 PM, plissken said:

"Forget decrapifiers, regenerators, isolators, and all the USB dongles and boxes you’ve been told you need for USB sound. Our all-new Gen 5 USB input doesn’t require any of that stuff. It’s this simple: Gen 5 is USB, solved."
- Mike Moffat, 2017

The truth is....  With the generation 5? Those add ons did nothing for improving the sound in my system. Though they did effect the sound with other DAC's I had.   The Unison  does something to improve the analog tone over the Gen 5.   Its richer sounding. 

It all depends upon in what dimension of life one finds themselves living in.  For, one man's music is another man's noise. 

On 6/10/2020 at 8:49 PM, lmitche said:

If Wikipedia is to be trusted, Samba got it's name changed to CIFS in 1996. CIFS is short for the "Common Internet File System"

I’m afraid that’s a bit of oversimplification and distortion.  SMB (Server Message Block) is a file sharing protocol developed by IBM about 40 years ago. Samba is a set of applications that use SMB to share files in a variety of settings and systems.  CIFS is an implementation of SMB created by Microsoft. Samba and CIFS do pretty much the same thing in somewhat different ways, but they are not identical.

8 hours ago, bluesman said:

I’m afraid that’s a bit of oversimplification and distortion.  SMB (Server Message Block) is a file sharing protocol developed by IBM about 40 years ago. Samba is a set of applications that use SMB to share files in a variety of settings and systems.  CIFS is an implementation of SMB created by Microsoft. Samba and CIFS do pretty much the same thing in somewhat different ways, but they

are not identical.

Bluesman,

Well it's no wonder the Wikipeida author was confused. Here is what IBM has to say about this on one of their websites this morning.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.3.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r3.ioea600/smbadd001998602.htm

"Server Message Block (SMB) is a protocol for remote file/print access that is used by Windows clients. This protocol is also known as Common Internet File System (CIFS). The data sets supported include: sequential data sets on DASD (Direct Access Storage Device), partitioned data sets (PDS), partitioned data sets extended (PDSE) and Virtual Storage Access Method (VSAM) data sets. The data set support is typically referred to as Record File System (RFS) support. To access shared directory paths and shared printers, the SMB protocol is supported through the use of TCP/IP on z/OS. Personal Computer (PC) clients on the network use the file and print sharing functions that are included in their operating systems."

Here is what Microsoft has to say about this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/microsoft-smb-protocol-and-cifs-protocol-overview

"The Server Message Block (SMB) Protocol is a network file sharing protocol, and as implemented in Microsoft Windows is known as Microsoft SMB Protocol. The set of message packets that defines a particular version of the protocol is called a dialect. The Common Internet File System (CIFS) Protocol is a dialect of SMB. Both SMB and CIFS are also available on VMS, several versions of Unix, and other operating systems."

Nevertheless I am sure you are right. Were you involved in the creation of SMB or CIFS? Does the blue in your handle have several meanings?

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks JoeWhip.  I'm a newb to streaming and would be grateful to understand how a better USB (like Gen 5 or the Unison upgrade) would improve the SQ coming through the Microrendu; I was under the impression that somehow the Microrendu's streaming technology made the quality of the USB connection less critical.