The Computer Audiophile

Schiit Audio Releases its Unison USB Upgrade

Rate this topic

Thanks for this Chris!  I have completely avoided USB inputs on all Schiit DACs I have because the sound quality from USB was always not as good as the other inputs.  Apparently, Mike Moffat agreed.  Having to schlep my Yggy and Gumby to Newhall CA to get this done is never fun, but certainly easier than those who would have to ship.

9 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Thanks for this Chris!  I have completely avoided USB inputs on all Schiit DACs I have because the sound quality from USB was always not as good as the other inputs.  Apparently, Mike Moffat agreed.  Having to schlep my Yggy and Gumby to Newhall CA to get this done is never fun, but certainly easier than those who would have to ship.

Why not do it yourself? It will likely take half the time of driving there, not to mention waiting, or the second trip to pick it back up.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Ordered and should be here in a few days. I can install it myself, just like the gen 5. Pretty easy. Mani, we all know that you have the world’s best DAC and software player. Give it a rest please. I guess I should ignore all of the software upgrades available to me for any product that cost more to get?

Home: EtherRegen + Farad Super3 LPS | UltraRendu + Uptone LPS 1.2 | Berkeley Alpha USB | Denafrips Terminator | Jeff Rowland Coherence II Series 2 pre | Blue Circle Audio BC-202 amp | Raidho XT-1 | 2 x Revel Performa3 B112 subwoofers  

Desktop: Iso Regen + LPS 1 | Eitr | Chord Qutest  | Aesthetix Calypso pre | Blue Circle Audio BC-28 amp | Scansonic MK-5 monitors | Elac S10 sub

7 minutes ago, all300b said:

The famous Robert E. Greene of Absolute Sound stated that the entirety of digital audio was solved with the Benchmark DAC1 USB. 

That quote was over the top in a rather MQA-like way as I recall:

"To my mind and ears, the Benchmark DAC1 Pre marks something of a new era in audio."

no-mqa-sm.jpg

1 minute ago, plissken said:

"Forget decrapifiers, regenerators, isolators, and all the USB dongles and boxes you’ve been told you need for USB sound. Our all-new Gen 5 USB input doesn’t require any of that stuff. It’s this simple: Gen 5 is USB, solved."
- Mike Moffat, 2017

Been down this road already in this thread. Engineers can improve upon solutions they once deemed perfect. Done. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing Polestar | Quick Community Reviews and Ratings

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

Been down this road already in this thread. Engineers can improve upon solutions they once deemed perfect. Done. 

Ok, so we can expect another upgrade in 2.5 years? I'll just wait for that one.

1 minute ago, plissken said:

"Forget decrapifiers, regenerators, isolators, and all the USB dongles and boxes you’ve been told you need for USB sound. Our all-new Gen 5 USB input doesn’t require any of that stuff. It’s this simple: Gen 5 is USB, solved."
- Mike Moffat, 2017

Clearly, they realised their business mistake in declaring anything done. The road to fortune is paved with upgrades.

On the flip side, there's nothing wrong with admitting that the "solved" statement was premature and making something even better.

49 minutes ago, Miska said:

Are there changes in supported playback formats? Anything higher res than 192/24 now?

No support is limited to 24/192.

Mine is on order. Thankfully I don't need to ship them the Yggy.

Nearfeild setup PPA USB> Ghent JSSG360 USB>Yggy>Freya+>Mono Vidars>Harbeth P3ESR 40th & Definitive Technology SubAmp 600>Mmatts 15 & Lyr 3> Mr.Speakers Ether 2, Schiit Sol>Puffin

After releasing Unison I hope Schiit will launch this year as well the matching CD transport with USB output.

Matt

5 minutes ago, matthias said:

After releasing Unison I hope Schiit will launch this year as well the matching CD transport with USB output.

Matt

Don't you mean S/PDIF?  Is there such a thing as a CD transport that works in USB host mode?

2 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Is there such a thing as a CD transport that works in USB host mode?

A PC with an optical drive?