IGNORED

Schiit Audio Releases its Unison USB Upgrade

• 3 weeks later...

I have bought and installed the Unison board in my Yggy, and while I was heartened to find when I threw the switch that I hadn't actually destroyed my DAC and it functioned perfectly, I have been struggling a bit to hear any changes to the sound. Maybe this is because I was using the ISO Regen before and after the change-up to the USB input board. Maybe it's also partly attributable to a recent upgrade I made to my USB cable, from a basic Belkin Gold to a fancier one (Synergistic Research Atmosphere X), which could be confounding the comparison. I don't regret making the Unison USB board upgrade, as it cost only $150 and may yet yield some audible improvements.

So I may or may not have answered my own earlier question about how the Unison interfaces with a Regen. Anyone else with a Regen and who's made the switch to the Unison board have a different or more clear set of impressions?

Sorry for my seeming ambivalence; I might just be posting too soon after making the switch 24 hours ago. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I dodged a bullet today! I was literally minutes from ordering a Linux-based Roon Nucleus when I saw the last few posts. I had no idea the Unison board had such limited compatibility. Windows 10, Mac OSX, iOS and Android only? That's a short and particular list.  I want to replace my Mac Mini with a dedicated device, for all the familiar reasons, but this is a real stumbling block now that I have installed the Unison board. Guess I will stick with the Mac for the foreseeable future. 

11 minutes ago, davide256 said:

What the tech at Schiit said was wrong. This most likely is a standards interpretation conflict or omission between Aurender and Schiit.  Else those of us using NUCs with AL and Euphony  would be affected.

That is an extraordinarily unfortunate mistake to have made and is already creating a miniature crisis (or a small Schiit storm) right here in this thread. I hope they will correct or clarify that statement. 

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

... He said he's holding off on a Rendu... That intrigues me.

Me too. And to get more specific, what he said was he was holding off on an opticalRendu, which might suggest a fiber optic network player. Although that probably doesn't mean it is going to duplicate all or even any other features of a Rendu device, such as Roon endpoint, etc. But a world of possibilities, and an intriguing clue, are just the sort of grist one wishes for one's online postulation mill; no? =^)

• 4 months later...
20 minutes ago, JeffNYC said:

Anyone have experience with Unison from a Mac mini? Noticeable improvement?

Yes, enough of an improvement over Gen5 on my Yggy that I found I no longer needed to use an ISO Regen and removed it. That said, adding a microRendu - thus getting the Mac disconnected from the Yggy USB input altogether- made an even bigger improvement, so if you are looking for an upgrade path you might consider it. 

• 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, heyhsia said:

Hi jiminlogansquare: How are you bypassing Yggy's USB input?  I thought the microRendu is supposed to output via USB-A and plug into your Yggy's USB-B input via an adapter.  

Hi, I didn’t bypass the Yggy’s input, I removed the Mac Mini that originally was hooked to the Yggy via USB and replaced it with a Rendu hooked to the Yggy via USB. The source changed, not the input. By eliminating the noisy Mac Mini I improved the performance of the Yggy’s USB input. 

BEFORE: Mac Mini USB output > USB cable > Yggy USB input 

AFTER: Rendu USB output > USB cable > Yggy USB input