IGNORED

Schiit Audio Releases its Unison USB Upgrade

1 minute ago, plissken said:

"Forget decrapifiers, regenerators, isolators, and all the USB dongles and boxes you’ve been told you need for USB sound. Our all-new Gen 5 USB input doesn’t require any of that stuff. It’s this simple: Gen 5 is USB, solved."
- Mike Moffat, 2017

Been down this road already in this thread. Engineers can improve upon solutions they once deemed perfect. Done. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, Jeff_N said:

Hi All,

I've had an unhappy experience from "upgrading" my Yggdrasil to the Unison USB interface. It may just be due to my stupidity, but in case anyone else is as stupid as me I thought I'd memorialize it here so people might find it if they Google it.

Chris, feel free to move this to the Aurender thread if you think it should be over there.

Okay here goes: My Aurender N100C worked fine using USB into the Yggdrasil for a couple years. The N100C has USB and Coax outputs, but I've always preferred the sound using USB. Then when I saw all the hype about the Unison I decided to send the Ygg to Schiit to have it installed.

I got the Ygg back with the Unison installed. Now every time I fast forward from one track to the next on the N100C, a loud half-second buzz is generated. The buzz occurs with both locally stored and streamed content, and even when skipping from one internet radio station to another. It was driving me nuts.

I swapped out the Yggdrasil for a Peachtree DAC iTx. No buzz!

I contacted Schiit, and their support guy told me Unison only works with Windows 10, Mac OSX, iOS, or Android. "It will most likely not work with a regular Linux system."

I went back and looked at the email Schiit sent out announcing the Unison, looked on their website, etc., and I may have missed it, but I don't see anywhere where they said anything like "No support for Linux" or "Only works with Windows and Mac OS" or something similar.

I understand hardware manufacturers can't be expected to know the compatibility of every single component out there, but IMO Aurender isn't an obscure brand, and Linux isn't an exotic OS these days. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

So anyway now I've spent four hundred bucks on the upgrade, shipping, and insurance, and I have a DAC that has gone from working perfectly in my system to not doing so, and I'm pretty ticked off. I guess I'm mad at a combination of Schiit and myself, and I should probably take most of the blame, which just makes it worse. When I checked the Aurender website just now the only Schiit DAC it shows to be compatible is the Bifrost.

The Aurender sounds too damned good to get rid of. I don't know what I'll do now. I may think about selling the Yggdrasil and getting another DAC. Right now I'm too bummed to think about it.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, thanks for the information. All is not lost. This can be fixed, but will take some work.

Let's pull in @AriMargolis from Aurender to see if the company has experienced this issue or can duplicated it. Perhaps, an update to the Aurender Linux OS can fix this for every Schiit owner.

I'll connect my Yggy (with Unison update) to my Aurender now to see if I can help.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I have one of these on order as a gift and I am wondering if anyone with a Sonore device is using a Yggdrasil with the Unison USB upgrade. If so, and it isn't working, I would like to know ahead of time.

Maybe @The Computer Audiophile can test that too?

Been busy working on something cool all day and missed this one.

Does anyone still need anything tested?

23 minutes ago, Doktor Avalanche said:

I’m using an ultraRendu into an Yggdrasil with the Unison upgrade. No issues whatsoever - not a single hiccup since the day I installed. Definitely an increase in sound quality with the upgrade to my ear.

Strongly considering an opticalRendu and guessing there would be no difference there.

This is indicative of all the work the Sonore team does behind the scenes to get its devices working with as many DACs as possible.

12 minutes ago, AriMargolis said:

@vortecjr Aurender‘s platform is based on the standard USB audio drivers and MPD player software but it’s not just an “off the shelf” / “plug-and-play” implementation. Inevitably, some DACs do things a little differently. As you know, many DACs were not engineered explicitly for use with Linux sources, so Aurender’s SW team installs certain tweaks to achieve full compatibility when necessary. I don’t know how much if any of it is proprietary, but it is custom engineered/bespoke implementation for Aurender.

Are you guys obligated to make those tweaks available to the greater Linux community?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

inre client user interface, you mention jriver as separate than DLNA...does jriver have a network protocol different than DLNA?

DLNA has issues, and I have always wondered if there were any other windows based players that supported enet that wasn't DLNA?  I know roon and hqplayer have their own proprietary, but curious if there any other windows mainstream network players besides DLNA?

It sure would be nice if you could just operate a music player from a web browser that didn't have the misgivings of DLNA?

Aurender can stream to its own zones using an Aurender ACS and Aurender servers. This uses robust file sharing protocol CIFS behind the scenes.