IGNORED

Schiit Audio Releases its Unison USB Upgrade

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Right now, it will support up to 24/192. It will not decode anything higher natively even though internally, the megaburrito filter processes at DXD sampling rates. There is an 8x light on the front for the possible inclusion of DXD files in the future, which will need the inclusion of a new card as well as a software refresh. I wouldn’t hold my breath though on that one. As for 24 bit files, they sound great, provided they were well engineered and mastered. BTW, how many DACs actually are true 24 bit anyway? I am not aware of any. 24 bit is relevant for recording, not really for playback.

This quote is only part of Mike’s post. It clearly refers to Unison USB OUT as he differerentiates it from USB IN. This is the USB out for the rumored CD transport. I don’t know if the poster intended this as FUD regarding Unison Input but if you take the time to find and read the whole posting by Mike, it is very clear what he was referring to.

1 hour ago, thotdoc said:

Wait till you add the Sonore (xRendu) and upTone (eRegen) components...you will be amazed.

I have been very impressed with the prior Sonore AES Signature Rendu. A friend has one and it beats the pants off other renderers he has brought in. He installed the new USB based one and loved it but with the pandemic, I won’t be hearing it any time soon. If Sonore wants to send one to me, I will check it out. Not high on the list at this point with all that is going on but something to consider later in 2020 or 2021. I’ll pass on the Regen stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, matthias said:

Mike,

thanks for sharing 🙂

Does it sound better than your famous Theta transport?

Matt

I had the Data Basic Transport and it was a damn fine sounding transport. Too bad the laser mechanism failed a few years ago with no spares to be found. This will be a great sounding transport when it is released. They will sell tons.

4 hours ago, matthias said:

Correct, IIUC there will be only USB as output of the transport.

Matt

It is my understanding that the transport will have USB and spdif outs and AES as well. Mike is pretty clear that the Unison USB is the best sounding output of all but it makes sense to have the other outputs as well, no? He has also been clear that Unison out to Unison in is utterly fantastic. I hope to find out!

Expect the transport to be priced around a grand. It will not be in the mid hundreds, it will do more than just spin CDs. I think Jason and Mike have already indicated that. Nothing else I can say. All will be revealed eventually. All I can say is I want one and am holding off on getting the optical Rendu because of this product.