IGNORED

So I've had an EtherRegen in rack for 2 weeks...

9 minutes ago, Jud said:

Do we have any actual data on whether plissken's cable pulling posts now outnumber Alex's regarding digitally identical files sounding different?

What brought this on Jud ?

I have had very little to say in this thread, and that was several pages back about the mediocre playback equipment he is using.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Just now, sandyk said:

What brought this on Jud ?

I have had very little to say in this thread, and that was several pages back about the mediocre playback equipment he is using.

Alex

I thought it might highlight for plissken, in a somewhat humorous way, that he had about as much chance of convincing anyone who wasn't already convinced at this point as the odds he would suddenly agree with you.

And I hoped it would be all right with you, my friend. No disrespect whatever intended. If I have offended, I apologize.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

12 minutes ago, plissken said:

What's mediocre? You have any data?

I've proven my point with a video demonstration.

You still haven't explained why you even brought me back into this discussion when I haven't posted anything in the area you mentioned .

You don't even appear to know who you were replying to , or you would have corrected that.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

3 minutes ago, plissken said:

So Sandy. Do you, or do you not understand Clock Domain boundaries and how they negate input Jitter?

Not Sandy, but are you just talking about the way an async USB input (for example) works, or something else?

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

10 minutes ago, plissken said:

This one:

No it wasn't !!! You should have been replying to why you directed this reply to me.



Posted 8 hours ago 

@sandyk I don't think you understand what and how Clock Domain Boundaries work. Like at all.

It's no wonder you have requested Moderator privileges to clear your thread up.

Now you are trying to extricate yourself from the mess of your own doing by asking me a question that I have no interest in replying to you about, as I don't wish to be further involved in helping to keep this thread of yours alive

8 minutes ago, sandyk said:

No it wasn't !!! You should have been replying to why you directed this reply to me.

It's no wonder you have requested Moderator privileges to clear your thread up.

Sandy there are two issues going on. Both involving integrity, or lack there of.

As I just explained to Jud in this post. It's something you proclaim to have area expertise in but yet fail to answer my simple question and instead you are now simply calling my setup that I used as 'mediocre'.

Now you aren't under any obligation to answer any question from any one. But the desperate ad-hom attacks should stop. 

Either meet me with excellent technical responses or don't. But your 'it's pos' attacks are about to stop.

16 minutes ago, plissken said:

No. Earlier I posted a picture of my 10GBe SFP+ NIC. It has a quarter Gigabyte of RAM on it. I pointed out that this is going to buffer input so any jitter on the inbound would cease.

So a buffer eliminates any jitter in the DAC whatever, no more worries?

1 minute ago, Jud said:

So a buffer eliminates any jitter in the DAC whatever, no more worries?

The buffer on an Ethernet NIC eliminates the input jitter from the Ethernet switch segment that it is on. Not sure why USB DAC's keep getting dragged into this. We are talking about Ethernet.

4 minutes ago, plissken said:

Not at all Chris.

What these I/O buffers do is solve a design problem: What to do when you two different clock domains. Ethernet runs at one speed, PCI-E at another. You can't sync these up in real time in any reasonably manageable way.

So along comes a bit of buffer that allows inputs and outputs to run at their own rate with some form of management software or firmware that controls the buffer so it doesn't over/under fill.

They eliminate jitter.

You're describing async interfaces with I/O buffers, yes?

5 minutes ago, Jud said:

You're describing async interfaces with I/O buffers, yes?

Can we agree on this: Jitter is a variance in what would be the otherwise optimal timing of a signal? Can we also agree that there is always going to be some jitter on all signals if we get a powerful enough measurement device on it?