plissken

So I've had an EtherRegen in rack for 2 weeks...

Rate this topic

14 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Let’s see, the only place where there is a requirement for strict evidence to support marketing is in the subset of medical products regulated by the FDA ie not skin care, vitamins etc.

As they say, no one will die buying an Ethernet switch. 

I wasn't speaking to what's required. I think we all benefit where clear, objective, data is available.

"Under DSHEA, a firm is responsible for determining that the dietary supplements it manufactures or distributes are safe and that any representations or claims made about them are substantiated by adequate evidence to show that they are not false or misleading."

I think that is a totally fair bar for many product that is proposing objective benefits such as correction of clock jitter due to phase noise or low/high/inbetween leakage current etc.

11 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Sadly untrue when using wired USB audio. Which is why I would really like to see DAC's move to a better digital fiber standard than Toslink

We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

22 minutes ago, plissken said:

I think that is a totally fair bar for many product that is proposing objective benefits such as correction of clock jitter due to phase noise or low/high/inbetween leakage current etc.

I am all for supporting jitter claims with standard measurements — of course for the 100Mbe standard introduced 1995 was not a requirement. My advocacy for 10Gbe is that the standard includes end to end jitter measurements ie hitting a tight eye plot. ie no real need to worry about jitter with these products as long as they comply with standards. 

My impression is that the EtherRegen is designed for equipment using the very slow 100m speed and arguable there are no other 100m specific products which try to reduce jitter? Is this impression correct?

(I don’t use 100m Ethernet so am not claiming to be an expert on this — I have 1G fiber into my house and 10G fiber throughout)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

3 minutes ago, jabbr said:

My impression is that the EtherRegen is designed for equipment using the very slow 100m speed and arguable there are no other 100m specific products which try to reduce jitter? Is this impression correct?

Why does 100m jitter matter? That's an issue between the clock driving the interface on the switch and what's on the other end.

Most likely on your 10GBe NICs, same as mine, is something like 256MB of RAM. I thought on a lot of 100Mbit it was something like 4Kbit typical.

Jitter is a non issue because of those input/ouput buffers.

hpe nc524.jpg

2 hours ago, jabbr said:

I am all for supporting jitter claims with standard measurements — of course for the 100Mbe standard introduced 1995 was not a requirement. My advocacy for 10Gbe is that the standard includes end to end jitter measurements ie hitting a tight eye plot. ie no real need to worry about jitter with these products as long as they comply with standards. 

(I don’t use 100m Ethernet so am not claiming to be an expert on this — I have 1G fiber into my house and 10G fiber throughout)

I don't know that I buy anything mattering for audio at layer 2 for a switch unless its outright defective. But I am seeing that USB endpoint audio performance scales with power supply  quality with good endpoint hardware. And am willing to entertain that an Ethernet port engineered to minimize circuit noise transmission/link errors to the distant end Ethernet circuitry

integrated into an endpoint may further reduce electrical noise contaminants to the USB port, further improving on a hardware and power supply optimized solution. Its not what I consider an elegant solution... an endpoint using an optimized Ethernet fiber SFP seems more cost effective

My assumption on the audio port  FE speed restriction is that a "comes with" Gbe port processor generates more electrical noise into the system at 1gig than FE. I wouldn't  buy

any argument centered on jitter.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

4 hours ago, davide256 said:

... I would really like to see DAC's move to a better digital fiber standard than Toslink

Quoted for emphasis

10 minutes ago, mansr said:

Doesn't the I in FYI stand for information? I'm not sure that's what is offered there.

I think the expression "one mans meat is another mans poison" applies here. Hans has reasonable posts vs some that are just shilling for advertising dollars. And unlike

a UK publication that shall remain nameless, he has no "grown locally" bias. I don't disagree so far with his findings, was glad to see that he stressed you needed a high quality

system. Wish someone would do a review switching out preamps/amps, my gut suspicion is that my earlier tube pre-amps would have stepped on the difference. Starting to

think of the EtherRegen as analogous to the fine focus knob on a good optical scope with coarse and fine focus knobs... if the coarse focus isn't close,

the fine focus knob can't help much

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

37 minutes ago, davide256 said:

"one mans meat is another mans poison"

Or “ one mansr’s meat is another mansr’s poison” 🤣😂

🇳🇱
Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers with scan speak illuminator drivers.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus

EtherRegen, Clock modded Isoregen, Lush^2

2 minutes ago, RickyV said:

Or “ one mansr’s meat is another mansr’s poison” 🤣😂

That would imply there's more than one of me. Are you sure you're ready for that?

Only in jackal and hyde configuration.

🇳🇱
Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers with scan speak illuminator drivers.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus

EtherRegen, Clock modded Isoregen, Lush^2

15 minutes ago, mansr said:

That would imply there's more than one of me. Are you sure you're ready for that?

There is someone on this site who might qualify as your polar opposite😉... which is more in line with what the idiom means. And you can see a lot

of that on A-gon(y), home of pointy hat audiophiles.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

4 hours ago, RickyV said:

FYI.

I would welcome Hans to try this with the Switch LAG I setup. Only he won't know which switch is in use.

I even have a dead silent PC to do this with.

1 hour ago, mansr said:

Perhaps you actually are balanced? 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

6 hours ago, plissken said:

@sandyk I don't think you understand what and how Clock Domain Boundaries work. Like at all.

He understands them just as well as he understands other aspect of digital audio...

Hans is deleting 100% legit posts that expose his fraud:

Two people pointed out that playback still happens without the eR being plugged in and He deleted the posts.

Before:

image.thumb.png.f40a354232f1eca1d93a291fe50517b7.png

After:

image.thumb.png.cdd20fdf99f2d1dbf7d1640c6d2662a1.png

7 hours ago, plissken said:

@sandyk I don't think you understand what and how Clock Domain Boundaries work. Like at all.

???
I have restricted myself in this thread to commenting on the mediocre equipment that you are using to judge a component added to much higher quality playback systems than yours is, for a further worthwhile improvement.

One thing that I do understand very well, as quite a few others do, is the way YOU work with your very obvious agenda .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 26-12-2019

4 minutes ago, thyname said:

Yeah! It's you and your band of brothers focusing the assault to him at this point. The Holy War no less. Keep it up!

Do you know if your accusations are correct (identity-wise)?

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing Polestar | Quick Community Reviews and Ratings

8 minutes ago, sandyk said:

???
I have restricted myself in this thread to commenting on the mediocre equipment that you are using to judge a component added to much higher quality playback systems than yours is, for a further worthwhile improvement.

One thing that I do understand very well, as quite a few others do, is the way YOU work with your very obvious agenda .

What's mediocre? You have any data?

I've proven my point with a video demonstration.