plissken

So I've had an EtherRegen in rack for 2 weeks...

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, mansr said:

Here's something I found with a quick search:

"Speaking of jealous, I sort of feel sorry for you. Your life seems so pathetic that all you can muster is complaints that someone has it easier than you. Sucks to be you I imagine. Maybe you should start a "go fund me" and perhaps if you really work it, collect enough funds for a new lolly pop?"

Terrible. If one goes digging, there are certainly things to dig up. I don't like it and it's not allowed here. It gets through now and then and I have to live with that.

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing Polestar | Quick Community Reviews and Ratings

3 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

the issue is, - are you going to apply a device that was not designed for audio - like an optical router or cable, and use it to solve problems in SQ

NO, not true. There are no problems.

What some folks are doing are reporting improvements by using products that were designed by networking and computing and/or inspired to improve such.

Some folks have heard improvements in their audio system by applying EMO EN-30 Ethernet isolators.

There are folks who are using Intona USB isolators in their audio system, - (some still asserting that these are "better" than an Uptone ISO Regen).

Folks are reporting that the Uptone etherRegen improves the video on their 4K TV.

Other folks have noticed improvements in their systems with the more professional, Cisco 29 series switches.

22 minutes ago, Albrecht said:

Folks are reporting that the Uptone etherRegen improves the video on their 4K TV.

That doesn't surprise me, as I have found that the original Uptone USB Regen does similar for Music Videos saved to USB memory when viewed on my 40 Samsung "LED" HDTV. I am also able to demonstrate this via HD Music Videos to those who use something better than a typical Laptop to view them.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 26-12-2019

I have a different take:

I could see someone being sour that they simply went out and dropped $4-6K on a streamer, $2k on gadgetry etc seeing $1500 in properly selected components either running neck to neck or even out performing it.

On 2/16/2020 at 5:09 PM, plissken said:

T.I.'s paper on radiated emissions of 10/100 Ethernet PHY speaks plainly to the Achilles heel of single ended power supplies on network gear.

If I want Wi-Fi 6 capability, and all the power supplies on my network gear to be balanced, what would you suggest and what would the pricing be like?

Edit: One other thing, I would like these not to be potential sources of leakage current.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> wi-fi to router -> EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen (powered by LPS-1) -> USPCB -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

16 minutes ago, Jud said:

If I want Wi-Fi 6 capability, and all the power supplies on my network gear to be balanced, what would you suggest and what would the pricing be like?

Edit: One other thing, I would like these not to be potential sources of leakage current.

Jud, it's wireless....

4 minutes ago, plissken said:

Jud, it's wireless....

And has a power supply, which is what I was asking about. This will be plugged into the same circuit as the audio system. Suggestions?

Edit: It will also have at least one wired Ethernet connection.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> wi-fi to router -> EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen (powered by LPS-1) -> USPCB -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

23 minutes ago, Jud said:

And has a power supply, which is what I was asking about. This will be plugged into the same circuit as the audio system. Suggestions?

Get the Furman P-2400 IT 20A. $2400. It's balanced and conditioned.

If you want to go 10GBe with POE the Aruba 3810 part # JL076A refurbs for $1600. Get the 670 watt supply with it if you are driving multiple WAP's. The nominal on the 3810 with no POE is ~100 watts.

If you don't care about leaving some bandwidth on the table the Cisco 3750X is a tank and you can get them for ~$150. Also POE.

Either will plug into the Furman and you drive all your wired and wireless with it. You can also add a 4 port SFP+ to the Aruba or 4 port SF+ to the 3750X and drive fiber connections.

I can remote and configure either switch for you. So bottom line is drive the WAPs with POE and drive the POE switch with the Furman.

12 hours ago, Jud said:

Do you mean a Wi-Fi card like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SH6GV5S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_JgbtEbTVZM09E

Plug it in and it’s bus powered. 

If you use your fiber network, and have a good iso transformer for your audio system, then you don’t need to worry about common mode noise from your network. ***

Some people worry about EMI from Wi-Fi — not the Wi-Fi power supply — presumably the card, but I haven’t looked into this in great detail. 

*** leakage current is one of the things that you get from common mode noise. If you have a balanced input and have common mode noise, the return circuit is the ground ie leakage current. Blocking common mode noise blocks leakage current. If you want to read up on this, reading about common mode noise will yield a wealth of information!

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

20 hours ago, plissken said:

My insecurity has a funny way of manifesting my offer of $2000 to someone else's $500.

I guess my insecurity is bigger than yours. If you know what I mean 😉

In truth what we all need is the equivalent of regional head-fi meets for  server solution comparisons. Listening is believing.

@The Computer Audiophile, any thoughts on that? Perhaps like how head-fi has regional forums/clubs for folks that want to meet and compare gear?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

2 minutes ago, davide256 said:

In truth what we all need is the equivalent of regional head-fi meets for  server solution comparisons. Listening is believing.

@The Computer Audiophile, any thoughts on that? Perhaps like how head-fi has regional forums/clubs for folks that want to meet and compare gear?

Yes, I've thought about it frequently. Would love to do it. 

22 hours ago, plissken said:

Get the Furman P-2400 IT 20A. $2400. It's balanced and conditioned.

If you want to go 10GBe with POE the Aruba 3810 part # JL076A refurbs for $1600. Get the 670 watt supply with it if you are driving multiple WAP's. The nominal on the 3810 with no POE is ~100 watts.

If you don't care about leaving some bandwidth on the table the Cisco 3750X is a tank and you can get them for ~$150. Also POE.

Either will plug into the Furman and you drive all your wired and wireless with it. You can also add a 4 port SFP+ to the Aruba or 4 port SF+ to the 3750X and drive fiber connections.

I can remote and configure either switch for you. So bottom line is drive the WAPs with POE and drive the POE switch with the Furman.

10 hours ago, jabbr said:

Do you mean a Wi-Fi card like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SH6GV5S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_JgbtEbTVZM09E

Plug it in and it’s bus powered. 

If you use your fiber network, and have a good iso transformer for your audio system, then you don’t need to worry about common mode noise from your network. ***

Some people worry about EMI from Wi-Fi — not the Wi-Fi power supply — presumably the card, but I haven’t looked into this in great detail. 

*** leakage current is one of the things that you get from common mode noise. If you have a balanced input and have common mode noise, the return circuit is the ground ie leakage current. Blocking common mode noise blocks leakage current. If you want to read up on this, reading about common mode noise will yield a wealth of information!

I very much appreciate the information from both of you. These are great suggestions, though they're not the direction I'm headed. Hopefully they'll be very helpful for others thinking about audio or any other sort of home networking.

Let me explain a little more about my system (though it's in my sig, more detail will probably help) and what I want to do.

Friend @jabbr: I do have a good iso transformer for the audio system. That transformer (a Topaz) supplies the separate circuit on which I have the system. I also already have the ER, which purports to take care of leakage current via Ethernet. I don't need an AX200 card - already have one in my office desktop, which is actually the only place I want and can use it.

The office desktop runs Audiirvana or occasionally HQPlayer, sending the signal via Wi-Fi to my audio system in the living room - first to my eero router (which is connected to my cable modem), from there to the ER, then to the microRendu, from there (through an IsoREGEN) to my DAC.

Friend @plissken: Your suggestions are great - that would be one terrific network system. But I already have a power conditioner and network setup as explained above, and $4000 (before any access points) is actually a fair amount more than I've spent at one time on audio in my life, let alone for something that would be to at least some extent redundant. (Yes, I'm sure this sounds silly to you coming from someone who paid for a $600+ switch that according to Amir's measurements and your subjective impressions is perfectly ordinary. I didn't expect a switch to make much if any difference myself, so I was already thinking about telling Alex I didn't want one before I listened. I'm also aware my conscious skepticism didn't confer immunity to getting an inaccurate subjective impression. But I did listen, did get the subjective impression I wanted one, and so here we are.)

I'm actually looking to replace the cable modem and router with a Wi-Fi 6 gateway, likely the Netgear CAX80, though I might rent the Comcast Wi-Fi 6 gateway in the interim if it's available substantially before the Netgear. Depending on the coverage I get from the gateway, I may keep the eeros and run them from it with a double NAT arrangement. (I'd like my office desktop and my iPhone to be using Wi-Fi 6 rather than the slower eeros.) So I just wondered if there was something inexpensive to power the Netgear that would be preferable to whatever wall wart it's going to come with; but maybe not?

Thanks again.

1 minute ago, kumakuma said:

Sounds like Chris's vision for this place... 👺

I wondered who was going to poke at my balloons.  🙂

4 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Sounds like Chris's vision for this place... 👺

Nobody is forcing you to suffer through this travesty. If your perception of this place is that skewed from the reality, then you'll never be happy here. No amount of snarky comments are going to change anything for the better. Be part of the solution or be part of the problem. It's up to you. 

P.S. I had to look this one up to make sure it wasn't sarcastic.

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 10.16.22 PM.png