IGNORED

So I've had an EtherRegen in rack for 2 weeks...

1 minute ago, mansr said:

There are two rules:

1. If you express scepticism about something, it is dismissed with "you can't know unless you try it."
  2. If you do try it and find it wanting, you'll be told the test wasn't valid because the rest of your stuff isn't expensive enough.

The only winning move is not to play.

I’ve never been a fan of those points (1,2). 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

59 minutes ago, plissken said:

I like the Magnepan 1.7's that David has.

But with my classical music collection being as large as it is they weren't the right speaker for me. I had to have something that could give a bit more SPL, be a truly full range speaker with dual 8" woofers, 3.5" mids, Ribbon tweeter and enough amp to handle large dynamic range. My Statements have a dipole design for the mids and putting the time into placement from the back wall and toe in they image quite well. With them being 55 X 11.5 X 16.5 inches (external) and 128 lbs each they have the ability to prodigiously bring it when it comes to full range orchestral works, or about anything else 

Orchestrations by Sir Henry Wood, track 5, La cathedrale engloutie is one of the tracks I use for evaluation.

I love to hear you talk about music and your system. Sometimes we get stuck on much less interesting topics. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Lets take an idealized situation with Ethernet in DAC. The Ethernet packets of bits arrive (Ethernet clock) and are placed into a TCP buffer (cpu clock) which is itself fed into a FIFO buffer. The DAC reads out each bit in turn (DAC clock). Each clock is a different frequency. 

Does changing clocks (Eth > CPU > DAC) always mean changing jitter?

14 minutes ago, jabbr said:

When you clock the bits into a memory buffer you lose the jitter from the incoming clock, and when you clock the bits out of the buffer you gain the jitter from the outgoing clock. 

The jitter is not additive when the FIFO is properly implemented.  The recent (since 2002) Ethernet specs require that. That way you can send a packet around the world and it arrives perfectly. 

Yes of course packets arrive perfect, but I wasn’t absolutely positive jitter was made a non-issue at each stage. 

Just for informational purposes, I've used a screenshot of a reported post. Identifying info removed were appropriate. 

The first report is correct that this post should be removed because it's a personal attack. However, yes it's plissken's thread and he has mod rights. He has chosen to wisely leave the post as an example of what's inappropriate. 

The second report, asking about denigration of setups. This is something I've avoided as setups aren't people with feelings and it's a bridge too far for me to ban comments about setups. yes, some take it personal when their setup is attacked, but most of us get over it soon. It's only stuff.

Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 1.16.38 PM.png

55 minutes ago, mansr said:

You're missing the point. It's about people using the "you're system isn't resolving enough" attack, often with the implied or explicit addition that the person being attacked can't afford a "proper" system. It may be phrased in terms of someone's kit, but it really is an attack on the person.

OK, I'm supposed to read into those comments that someone is being poor shamed? It's impossible to tell if any of us is homeless or living in an ivory tower. I don't buy that this is poor shaming. 

2 minutes ago, mansr said:

Here's something I found with a quick search:

"Speaking of jealous, I sort of feel sorry for you. Your life seems so pathetic that all you can muster is complaints that someone has it easier than you. Sucks to be you I imagine. Maybe you should start a "go fund me" and perhaps if you really work it, collect enough funds for a new lolly pop?"

Terrible. If one goes digging, there are certainly things to dig up. I don't like it and it's not allowed here. It gets through now and then and I have to live with that.

2 minutes ago, davide256 said:

In truth what we all need is the equivalent of regional head-fi meets for  server solution comparisons. Listening is believing.

@The Computer Audiophile, any thoughts on that? Perhaps like how head-fi has regional forums/clubs for folks that want to meet and compare gear?

Yes, I've thought about it frequently. Would love to do it. 

4 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Sounds like Chris's vision for this place... 👺

Nobody is forcing you to suffer through this travesty. If your perception of this place is that skewed from the reality, then you'll never be happy here. No amount of snarky comments are going to change anything for the better. Be part of the solution or be part of the problem. It's up to you. 

P.S. I had to look this one up to make sure it wasn't sarcastic.

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 10.16.22 PM.png

• 11 months later...
1 minute ago, plissken said:

Because twice now in recent weeks I've been literally hours in helping members here un-f setups that other luddites led them into. This is real in the seat time, on the phone, remoted in. Most have zero idea of what they are doing.

What would be the reasoning for not pushing back?

I think we are talking about two different things.