IGNORED

So I've had an EtherRegen in rack for 2 weeks...

I would be pleasantly surprised if Plissken even knows how to correctly drive his AKG K701 headphones. The  ATH M70x doesn't have such a huge dip in the 5K to 10K area as the M50x either.

ATH- M40x ,  M50x and  M70x.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

7 hours ago, plissken said:

I wonder how the graphs would change with the eR…

I.O.W. , you are almost certainly unaware that the AKG K701 was designed to comply with IEC 61938.The now superseded International Standard IEC61938 specified that headphones should be driven by a 120 ohms source regardless of headphone impedance .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

35 minutes ago, plissken said:

So it's not as cut and dry as Sandy is making it out to be.

Numerous members at Rock Grotto which was mainly  a Headphone Amplifier forum, owned AKG K701 headphones and confirmed that the AKG K701 sounded way more refined when driven from a 120 ohms source impedance.

The part that I quoted actually came from Silicon Chip magazine (Australia) in their write up for their Studio Series -Stereo Headphone Amplifier which I also constructed back then, and was republished in  the U.K. magazine Everyday Practical Electronjcs in 2008.

More than 300 of my modified versions of this amplifier were made by Rock Grotto members world wide using kits from Jaycar and Altronics in Australia .
 It should be fairly easy to try an external headphone plug to stereo socket lead including the series 120 ohms resistors to see if this improves the sound of the AKG K701 as many other people have found .

You could also experiment with different lower value resistors to see if you are able to achieve a more tonally balanced result with the AKG K701 in your own set up. 

14 hours ago, davide256 said:

Component bottleneck= performance limits or colorations

I've been through probably about 10 headphone amplifiers as well as attending headfi meets, haven't heard a headphone amplifier I like for less than $1k.

Head Amp and Micro iDSD were 2 that I owned and quickly discarded at the $500 price point. Just doesn't pay to skimp on your headphone amplifier.

Head-Fi meets highly recommended as  a way to compare and learn whats possible for headphone playback, identify your preference with least money wasted

on non successes.

I have 3 friends from the USA that participate in Head-Fi Headphone meets, and several years ago I was invited to attend a lHeadFi meet in Richmond NSW Au. and bring along my DIY Headphone amplifier which was well received. One of the HeadFi members had already constructed my DIY version as presented in a U.K. based Audio Forum .

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, plissken said:

@sandyk I don't think you understand what and how Clock Domain Boundaries work. Like at all.

???
I have restricted myself in this thread to commenting on the mediocre equipment that you are using to judge a component added to much higher quality playback systems than yours is, for a further worthwhile improvement.

One thing that I do understand very well, as quite a few others do, is the way YOU work with your very obvious agenda .

9 minutes ago, Jud said:

Do we have any actual data on whether plissken's cable pulling posts now outnumber Alex's regarding digitally identical files sounding different?

What brought this on Jud ?

I have had very little to say in this thread, and that was several pages back about the mediocre playback equipment he is using.

Alex

12 minutes ago, plissken said:

What's mediocre? You have any data?

I've proven my point with a video demonstration.

You still haven't explained why you even brought me back into this discussion when I haven't posted anything in the area you mentioned .

You don't even appear to know who you were replying to , or you would have corrected that.

10 minutes ago, plissken said:

This one:

No it wasn't !!! You should have been replying to why you directed this reply to me.



Posted 8 hours ago 

@sandyk I don't think you understand what and how Clock Domain Boundaries work. Like at all.

It's no wonder you have requested Moderator privileges to clear your thread up.

Now you are trying to extricate yourself from the mess of your own doing by asking me a question that I have no interest in replying to you about, as I don't wish to be further involved in helping to keep this thread of yours alive

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

Will try again later this week with a few more tracks but the ER isn't compensating for the degradation of using the stock power supply, music just doesn't bloom, lots

of irritants in the sound.

Regens can't compensate for a crappy front end, despite what some may wish to believe, or others that insist that the PC/Server's PSU type or quality doesn't matter as long as the 1s and 0s spit out error free in the correct order . 

1 hour ago, mansr said:

You're missing the point. It's about people using the "you're system isn't resolving enough" attack, often with the implied or explicit addition that the person being attacked can't afford a "proper" system. It may be phrased in terms of someone's kit, but it really is an attack on the person.

It isn't  necessarily an attack on the person , and is highly unlikely to be a suggestion that the person concerned can't afford a more expensive system. Many 100s of A.S. members for example, have demonstrated to their own satisfaction that commonly used computers such as the Mac Mini can  have their audio markedly improved by retrofitting a John Swenson designed Linear PSU and Fan controller.

Only those who believe that this kind of thing is Snake Oil are likely to see this as a personal attack about their system being inadequate.

22 minutes ago, Albrecht said:

Folks are reporting that the Uptone etherRegen improves the video on their 4K TV.

That doesn't surprise me, as I have found that the original Uptone USB Regen does similar for Music Videos saved to USB memory when viewed on my 40 Samsung "LED" HDTV. I am also able to demonstrate this via HD Music Videos to those who use something better than a typical Laptop to view them.