IGNORED

Differences in sound: DAC vs. DAC + Pre-amplifier

@SoundSparks

If your only source is digital I'd put my money and effort in seeking out a proper, dedicated DAC/preamp, and disregard a separat hardware preamp altogether. Be aware to pursue items where the preamp section and volume control of the DAC are up to snuff, and this entails a thoroughly executed analogue output stage and power supply, which is especially important when connecting directly to a poweramp.

I don't know the limits of your budget, but above mentioned important aspects typically aren't the last word with mid priced (and down) DAC's, why I'd actually recommend you look for used, highend-ish DAC/preamps where more effort is very likely to have been invested in named areas. The claimed technological advancements of DAC chips is somehow exaggerated, I find, and shouldn't keep you from acquiring used high-end DAC/preamps (where the clock section isn't an afterthought either) with some years on their backs. I'm not saying DAC chips haven't seen notable advancement, only that with a poweramp-direct connection you want a very good analogue output stage and PSU in particular. 

Via my current, newly acquired BCA Roquefort DAC/preamp (a used, "older" though upgradable highend model), which I've recently compared to the very newly released, mid-priced Auralic Altair G1 DAC/streamer, it's quite obvious the former has a richer, more stable, tonally correct and well-balanced presentation. At its asking price I find the Auralic to be a very capable product (and the streamer section is blessing) with great connectivity options (i.e.: harddrive via USB), but in regards to pure sound quality and connected directly to the poweramp the BCA is simply more analogue and natural sounding. Just my $0.02. 

Compared to separate hardware preamps I've tried out, even via my former less capable DAC/preamp, the challenge to me has always been finding one that was sufficiently transparent and non-restricted (i.e.: without the sensation of it sounding like a "bottleneck" in the chain), and at the price level where this seemed to be less of an issue I've always felt it better to invest elsewhere to see actual sonic gains. 

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)