IGNORED

Differences in sound: DAC vs. DAC + Pre-amplifier

• 3 months later...
7 minutes ago, EvilTed said:

@Kal Rubinson

As a Senior Contributing Editor of Stereophile can you explain quite how this works?

I'm curious because I have a pretty high end analog rig:

SME 30/2 + custom SME V with only static balance + Koetsu Onyx Platinum + OCC silver leads etc.

For a preamp I have an EAR 912 with the best old NOS tubes I could find, which include new Amperex pinched waist 6922s from 1959 in the line stage and Mullard pinched waist PCC88s from Harleen Holland (1957) in the phono.

My digital source isn't quite as exotic - a Lumin X1 with an Audio Sensibility Signature OCC silver DC cord.

Now, the Lumin X1 supports LeadH volume control. Supposedly better than regular digital volume.

I ran the system for 3 months without the preamp while it was being hand built in the UK over Covid.

I know what the digital only, no preamp sounds like.

Digital sounds close to analog in my system when played through the preamp.

Without the preamp, digital sounds dull, flat, uninspiring and just meh digital.

From a purist perspective, less things in the chain should sound better but they don't though do they though ;)

ET

I have no idea why you are experiencing what you describe since I am not familiar with any of your equipment.  I suspect that the EAR preamp provides you with something that you like but I do not believe that proves anything about the principle of the need (or not) for a preamp.  

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

9 hours ago, EvilTed said:

There point I'm trying to make is there is no principal for the need or not for a preamp.

If it make things sound better, then use one.

One cannot simply be reductionist in opinion and state unequivocally that digital is better without.

And I do not disagree with your point.   

9 hours ago, EvilTed said:

At least in my experience, this has never been the case.

You are entitled to your choices even if others do not share them.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile