IGNORED

Differences in sound: DAC vs. DAC + Pre-amplifier

On 1/23/2020 at 6:26 PM, SoundSparks said:

Thank you very kindly, dear experts!

Like many of us in this wonderful hobby, I am after the SOUND, recreating the life-like atmosphere of concert hall in my listening space...

• Would you, dear experts, consider MATRIX Audio X-SABRE PRO (MQA) DAC to represent a good choice (my budget is only up to about 2K): it is hard for me to "decipher" the manual to understand if the analogue output stage, digital volume control, PSU, and other elements employed are of acceptable quality...
  • And another silly question: what separate pre-amplifier would be required in order to at least correspond to the specs of this DAC (SNR >-129dB 20Hz-20kHz A-Weighting and THD+N <0.00030% at 20Hz-20kHz A-Weighting)?
  • Just found another possible contender: TOPPING D90 DAC. What do you think of this budget-friendly option, please?
  • Alternatives?

Please chime in!

Topping D90 is an extraordinary dac!!!  I ve compared it with IFI IDSD Pro & Chord Dave  (without  a reclocker I must add) and all 3 of us ("golden ear" types) prefrered the D90. That is if your system is truly high resolution and your USB cable is really good! I bought one of the last units on the amazon from APOS,  in-stock  as-new open box, from their California warehouse. after that  all  D90 uinits have become unavailable for some reason from the amazon storefront... The Gustard A22 has been getting a good word as well, but once again not on the Amazon prime (don't wanna ship it back to China if I don't like its sound)... Whats your system may I ask ? :)