IGNORED

Differences in sound: DAC vs. DAC + Pre-amplifier

I have same question and thoughts.  I imagine it is all equipment and system dependent.  I have a Benchmark DAC3 L arriving on Monday so I can compare it against my Chord Qutest.  My reasoning is that I want better volume control (and balanced outs) than the software volume I am using as I am thinking I am missing out on some SQ and not having a good gain match.

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my Benchmark DAC3 for almost two weeks now and could not be happier.  It is great to have hardware volume control just for the convenience and control.  The Benchmark is a no nonsense black box made out of bent sheetmetal and all in all it sounds very good to me.  My setup is very simple:  Mac to DAC to Amp.  The OP's question is really hard to quantify with results and it all is a balance and wants and needs.  I am sure I could get better sound but for my wants, the sound has not suffered with this remedial DAC/Pre combo.  I am also very happy that I now have balanced analog out to my class d amp.  The volume control for digital into this DAC is in the digital domain.  Vice versa if you use it as a preamp, analog in would have volume control in analog domain.

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, sandyk said:

there is very little, if any, advantage to Balanced Topology in most domestic situations,

What if we are using a class D amp, still no advantage?  Just curious as I am following this conversation as I am using Class D with a DAC with volume control.