IGNORED

Differences in sound: DAC vs. DAC + Pre-amplifier

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Suitable range setting depends on how you use the volume control...

I believe that Miska means that it depends on whether you are using the digital volume control to control playback volume or you are using fixed fixed settings in HQPlayer and controlling the playback volume through a pre-amp or a volume control on the DAC. The -3db setting is to avoid clipping. On my system, I experienced clipping with some music files at a max setting of -4 while upsampling everything to DSD512. So I now use a max setting of -5. You may not hear clipping but if the volume control in HQPlayer turns red, that indicates that you went into clipping and should use a lower setting. If that doesn't happen, -3 should be fine.

You may want to follow the suggestion from @ericuco if you are concerned about accidentally turning or leaving the preamp or DAC volume control at maximum. Personally, I have never experienced that with my pre-amp. At worst, the previous volume setting on my pre-amp may be too loud for the recording I am now playing and I can easily turn it down.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, sandyk said:

It's laughable that so many will spend 10 or more times on the Vinyl side than on the digital side and then  rave about how much better analogue sounds .

The equivalent can be said of those who extol the virtues of digital with their high-end five figure DACs and music servers.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

57 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Perhaps, but most don't boast about how much better they sound than Vinyl.

Most or some? I don't know that there is any objective data to support one or the other. 🙂 However, vinyl lovers are probably more enthusiastic in their support of their preferred format.