IGNORED

Differences in sound: DAC vs. DAC + Pre-amplifier

One practical difference between

(1) software VC into DAC (no preamp), versus (2) DAC + preamp

is that -- as DAC's often produce a slight hum -- this hum can become intolerably loud with (1) as the attenuation is before the DAC and does not affect the hum, but is mitigated with (2) as in that case there is attenuation after the DAC.

So (2) should be quieter. Correct?

audio system

8 hours ago, Miska said:

Why would it be? For most cases, from technical perspective that shouldn't be the case.

When I output data to a DAC, the digital noise floor in audio band is roughly 100 dB below the analog noise floor.

But I don't have hum or other noises, just dead silence if I put my ear next to the speaker.

OK, and the analogue preamp itself could also add to the hum. So time for me to experiment rather than theorise.

audio system

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, barrows said:

From a technical perspective, this is just not true.  For example, a simple passive attenuator like a Goldpoint will be much more transparent than any LDR could ever hope to be.

It is OK if you like the sound of an LDR, but please do not make claims about it being transparent, as this is just not the case.  LDRs add large levels of distortion, orders of magnitude greater than that of anty good preamp with simple switched resistor volume control.

sandyK has provided the proof.  And this has also been shown every time someone measures an LDR based preamp.

Here is some more info on LDR based volume controls:

https://neurochrome.com/pages/tortuga-audio-ldr3

I should have written "Closest thing to no preamp to my ears". I tested with a wav file that I pre-attenuated with software so that I could play it directly from the DAC. And then compared that with the original file attenuated with a few preamps, admittedly not many. My ears (and what's between them) preferred the LDR's.

audio system

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, barrows said:

I really do not want to be promoting specific products here, and have tried to avoid doing so.  But, I would suggest that actual Renderers purpose built for audio, do have a technological (not imaginary) advantage in terms of noise versus general commercial computer gear.  Built for audio products generally have much more room in the BOM to spec more expensive components (like many ultra low noise linear regulators) and more sophisticated layouts, with more isolated sections.  For just a single example of what I mean: how many commercial main boards used as a renderer have a dedicated LT 3045 regulator, just a few mms from the USB output for the USB output power leg?

i agree that long term listening is often better for really evaluating a change, although it can be very difficult.  For me, short term comparisons often lead to "ah ha!" moments, where there "might" be a "difference", but the difference in often a sideways one, and not necessarily an improvement.  We humans seem especially subject to interpreting any change as "exciting" and therefore concluding it is better; long term listening seems to even out these first impressions, especially when a wide variety of music is tssted.  I always try and verify any conclusions based on short term A/B style comparisons with long term listening.

Well said. And I agree about what you say about renderers built specially for audio.

Computer audiophile DIYers spend a lot of time and money to remove or mitigate the shortcomings of devices built for general use. In a top down approach, PC's have to be stripped down, network- and other connections to be made noise free, and OS'es tamed. You would expect the bottom up approach of dedicated audio products to give better results. That is not always the case though.

audio system

• 4 weeks later...