IGNORED

Introducing Jotunheim R, the first and only direct-drive ribbon headphone amp

Just in from Schiit Audio, a new amp for the Raal/Requisite SR1a headphones. I love the price, especially because I've been looking at a pair of Stax with amp recently. Perhaps the Raal headphones with this $799 amp would be good. 

PRESS RELEASE

Hey all,

It’s time for Schiit’s first product of 2020: the Jotunheim R, the first and only direct-drive ribbon headphone amplifier. Designed exclusively for ultra-low-impedance ribbon headphones like the Raal/Requisite SR1a, Jotunheim R eliminates the need for a speaker amp and impedance converter box, delivering a single-box, direct-drive solution for ribbon headphones. 

With 13A per channel at clipping, the Jotunheim R delivers the current necessary for ultra-low impedance ribbon headphones, offering what many listeners have said is superior performance to many high-dollar speaker amplifiers. Combined with a small, desktop-friendly form factor and accessible price, Jotunheim R is a compelling offering for ribbon headphone users. 

Jotunheim R features Schiit’s unique, discrete Nexus™ gain stage, together with an ultra-high-current design and professional-level temperature and overcorrect protection. Switchable baffle compensation ensures compatibility with possible future circumaural ribbon headphones, and switchable passive preamp output offers convenience for integrating with powered monitors. 

Jotunheim R product page: https://www.schiit.com/products/jotunheim-r

The Jotunheim R is available today at schiit.com for $799 as an amp alone, or $999 with the internal True Multibit™ DAC module. Jotunheim R purchasers can also add Schiit’s all-new Bifrost 2 at the discount price of $600.

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Mike Moffat

Co-Founders
Schiit Audio

Jotunheim R with headphones 1920.jpg

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I love the price, especially because I've been looking at a pair of Stax with amp recently. Perhaps the Raal headphones with this $799 amp would be good. 

To be frank if I was the kind or person with  enough spare money to spend circa. 4k ( $, £ or €) on a pair of cans I doubt whether the amp to drive them cost 799 or 1799 or even more would be a major consideration for me. I would probably be able to go with whatever it takes. in fact I wonder how many people might feel that matching a 4K headphone with a 799 amp would not be some kind of compromise, however irrational that may be?

On 1/22/2020 at 2:06 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Agree 100%.

I'm considering a pair right now as my new reference headphones. 

I trust your assessment of equipment and would love reading about what you hear through these. 

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

On 1/22/2020 at 3:06 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Agree 100%.

I'm considering a pair right now as my new reference headphones. 

Not to belabor things, but to me it is basically bass vs transparency. I bought my Stax as a fidelity reference and would recommend them for the same. It is easy to get lost in the woods, and these strip back variables.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Excellent. Looking forward to reading your impressions/reactions.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2020 at 10:38 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys - I spent the day yesterday talking to a few people about Stax and the Raal SR1a headphones. I need a new pair of reference cans and it came down to these two. I was worried the SR1a were a gimmick, but after talking to people it turns out these are the real thing. 

I ended up ordering a pair of the SR1a for a few reasons. A big reason is the price of the Stax SR-009S and a good amp is insane. Sure I can get accommodation pricing but even after that the price is still very high. Given that my main focus my is two channel listening room, I can't justify Stax money right now. 

The SR1a is supposed to be excellent. I have several amps I can use with them, given the ribbon / amp interface box. I'm also working on a Schiit Jotunheim R review sample.

I have my fingers crossed these will be up to the Stax quality. Much more to come. 

Great timing Chris! I'm very interested in these headphones too, as well as pairing them with the Schiit amp. I've been researching them  also, and have been told by my old Head-fi contacts (some of the top people in the headphone world) that these are indeed amazing cans.  I will be extremely eager to see your upcoming review,and any prior thoughts.

JC 

6 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Great timing Chris! I'm very interested in these headphones too, as well as pairing them with the Schiit amp. I've been researching them  also, and have been told by my old Head-fi contacts (some of the top people in the headphone world) that these are indeed amazing cans.  I will be extremely eager to see your upcoming review,and any prior thoughts.

JC 

The headphones arrive Thursday! Full review coming. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png