IGNORED

Article: The Value Proposition In Computer Audio: Nuts, Bolts, and Building Blocks - Building a Home for Your Player Software

That was A LOT of content about operating systems. 

I'm sure there are many other ones and I assume other people will mention ones they figure you missed, but I want to throw Snakeoil OS (https://www.snakeoil-os.net/) out there as another 100% audio dedicated Linux distro. And it has Roon and HQPlayer configurations now too.

I've always thought the lead developer Keith was a great guy and very focused on being an audiophile and making an audiophile OS.

2 hours ago, bluesman said:

Snakeoil is basically a bare bones Ubuntu server with a real time kernel. It leaves out the processes that aren’t needed for audio but that may affect it adversely (a controversial topic open to discussion elsewhere).  I’m sure it’s fine, based on extensive experience with many other Linux distros on dozens of boxes. But I find any benefits of a real time kernel for audio (playback only) to be somewhere between minimal and undetectable on good, modern hardware.  Multiple CPU cores and hyperthreading have largely eliminated these factors.

Even for recording, the only tangible benefit of a RTK over low latency versions (if there is any) comes when recording tracks alongside existing ones. Latency results in asynchrony between the monitored track(s) and the live one being added. This is compensated in good recording software, but the better choice is to eliminate it up front. There are adjustment settings in good DAWs to do this.

Theoretically, a real time kernel that prioritizes CPU calls in audio processing will reduce potential for any degradation of the bitstream, with allegedly better SQ resulting. I haven’t heard this myself, and I suspect that it would take a better system than I’ve ever had to demonstrate it if it’s real.

I do plan to try Snakeoil for RPi. It might benefit performance from the lower power versions (ZeroW and 3) and deserves a listen.

You covered it all pretty well in that post. It's worth a shot to try it out in a qualified listening environment, as in, not just with budget gear or something you don't care much for.  

I think it's a decent Linux OS for audio and more than qualified to play the part. But as you said, can I unequivocally say it's the best and beats all the others, no. I just think it's comparable and totally worth a spot in the list given what's being covered here. 

And I must say thanks for all the effort you put into this 😀