The Computer Audiophile

Difference Between "Audiophile" Recordings and Many Others

Rate this topic

Hey Guys - I've been watching the series Soundbreaking again and I was really struck by a quote and piece from episode 3 that I watched last night. It immediately made me realize a major difference between many audiophile recordings and others from more traditional artists (for lack of a better description). I believe I've known this forever, but for some reason watching this show made it really hit home. Don't get me wrong, I love my audiophile recordings, but I love others even more. I also don't judge and don't care one bit if people only love audiophile recordings. Live and let listen.

Here is the quote from Nile Rogers when he was working with Madonna.

Give me as much emotion as you can because I don’t have any button that I can push that can put that in.”

Here is a clip from the episode that completely nails it as well. Being a huge fan of Christina makes the clip even better of course. 

P.S. If you haven't seen this, it's required viewing for all music lovers and anyone remotely interested in how music is made.

Founder of Audiophile Style

again, audiophile recording buyers are on a journey that's enjoyable to them...

I think some of my favorite blues albums were done with wire recording machines...

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

I also own a copy of Jazz at the Pawnshop - it's audiophile, but not jazz...

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

47 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I bet it isn't truly pawnshop either.

The jazz club where it was recorded had previously been a pawnshop.

I don't know why someone would say it isn't jazz.

too whitebread

I'd rather hear most high school bands in New Orleans

Great advice. I see the trend towards perfection in art to be its death knell. As a photographer, I rely on those 'happy accidents' - which are often luck, but luck born of hard work and diligence towards one craft. My style is to often (like really often) not even look through the camera when taking the picture, and rely on my deep intuition and knowledge of framing and timing. Here's what I wrote on Instagram awhile back:

"I don’t look through the viewfinder, but instead pre-focus, hold the camera away from me and just wait for the right moment. I’ll keep adjusting the focus as the subject moves, either by eye or lens marking, and re-frame accordingly.

I always tell people that the camera will take the picture whether you’re looking through the viewfinder or not. Just point and press the button. It can be a difficult leap of faith to make, but quite liberating once done."

And it's that leap of faith Christina and her producer are talking about, creating perfection out of imperfection. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK and OWC external 2.5" HD (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (HDPLEX 100)>LIVING ROOM:>Sonore opticalModule (Sonore Power Supply w/ SR Black fuse))>Ghent Audio JSSG Cat 6a cable>Sonore microRendu 1.4> (Uptone ) Uptone USPCB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 110>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics.

OFFICE:Naim Unitiqute V1>NACA5>KEF Ls50's, Cisco 2960PD. BJC cabling for ethernet aside from the Ghent and Naim stock AC cables with Wattgate or HifiKing Plugs. 

There some great audiophile recordings out there with great performances. I am listening to one now, Reference Recordings From the Age of Swing. Great musicians, great arrangements, great playing and great sound. But I get your point. There are tons of great sounding recordings available, the one up next here, The Cannonball Adderley Quintet in San Francisco. Recorded in 1965, that group is right in the room with you. It is like being transported there in a time machine. Everyone I play it for has the same reaction. They used an out of tune probably beaten up piano at the club, but other than that, the recording is superb. The drums are as real as they get.

do CTI releases qualify as audiophile recordings ?

IIRC, they had quite good SQ

On 1/15/2020 at 2:54 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Here is a clip from the episode that completely nails it as well. Being a huge fan of Christina makes the clip even better of course. 

P.S. If you haven't seen this, it's required viewing for all music lovers and anyone remotely interested in how music is made.

Ummm, "blocked in your country on copyright grounds" - anywhere else?

Frank

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

Ahhh, Mankind ... Porsche intellect, Trabant emotions ...