IGNORED

Sonos Port vs Sonos Connect

Has anyone compared the sound quality of the new Sonos Port to the Sonos Connect? On the analog and digital outputs? TIA

2010 Mac Mini > Singxer SU-1 > Lampizator Amber II > Rogue Cronus Magnum (modded & NOS signal tubes with 6P3S-e power tubes) > Aural Acoustic Model B speakers. Furutech outlets, PI Audio USB Cable, PAD Aqueous Aureus Praesto Digital IC, Audio Envy ICs & SCs, TWL PCs, and PI Audio Buss-Stop power conditioner.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got Notice from Sonos today that all gear produced from 2005-2011 (10 zones for me) will no longer be supported from May on. As I understand any newer gear will not be updated if it's combined with legacy gear (must all use the same operating system). They're giving a 30% discount on new gear. Wonder what happens next year if I add new gear - what will and won't work?

Well, I'm not sure what I'll miss after May, but I'll be damned if I'm going to upgrade to a new proprietary, closed, low resolution system like Sonos. I've had a real good run with Sonos, no equipment failures except when they decide to turn stuff off (CR100). Planned obsolescence seems like part of their business strategy. We'll see how long the old gear goes and look at the alternatives then. It wouldn't surprise if they do the Apple and program old gear to be less reliable. I'm not sure what the upgrade proposition is, it looks like the same old 16/44 system.

To the OP's question, I haven't tried the new Port, but not sure they would have 'better' sound quality as they're both pretty basic streamers. It'll have current parts and maybe more processing power (at least that's what the Obsolescence email said). I see the new one has a 12V Trigger but otherwise basically the same in a new wrapper. 

Interesting; thanks for the info. My Connect is newer (a few years old) but that's good to know.

I posted the same question on AA, which received one response; i.e., to wit that the analog outputs sounded significantly improved but the digital ones did not.

2010 Mac Mini > Singxer SU-1 > Lampizator Amber II > Rogue Cronus Magnum (modded & NOS signal tubes with 6P3S-e power tubes) > Aural Acoustic Model B speakers. Furutech outlets, PI Audio USB Cable, PAD Aqueous Aureus Praesto Digital IC, Audio Envy ICs & SCs, TWL PCs, and PI Audio Buss-Stop power conditioner.

• 1 month later...

I read somewhere today that the new Sonos OS, which will only be supported by the newer Sonos devices, will have support for hi-res audio > 16/44.  I’m please to hear that, and I plan to trade up my Sonos connect for the new Sonos Port once that is available.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/17/21182164/sonos-s2-announced-app-operating-system-high-res-audio-dolby-atmos

Best Stereo System: Wired Sonos Connect -> AQ Cinammon Digital Coax -> Marantz SA-8005 -> AA Black Momba 2 interconnects -> Marantz PM-15S2 -> Kimber 8TC speaker Cables -> Zu Soul Superfly speakers.

Ingest> NAS> Distribution: Sony Vaio Laptop ripping via ITunes to Apple Lossless, manually synced to WD Mycloud NAS, Linksys 1900AC Router, Netgear Gig E switch, generic Ethernet cables, TPLinc ethernet power line extenders.

21 minutes ago, jdjaye said:

I read somewhere today that the new Sonos OS, which will only be supported by the newer Sonos devices, will have support for hi-res audio > 16/44.  I’m please to hear that, and I plan to trade up my Sonos connect for the new Sonos Port once that is available

I'd wait on the detail if I were you - don't forget lossy MQA can also be "hi-res audio > 16/44" & I wouldn't put it passed Sonos being tempted by MQA's lossy compression or something similar considering their previous concerns about wireless network bandwidth.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

2 minutes ago, Cebolla said:

I'd wait on the detail if I were you - don't forget lossy MQA can also be "hi-res audio > 16/44" & I wouldn't put it passed Sonos being tempted by MQA's lossy compression or something similar considering their previous concerns about wireless network bandwidth.

for me, I only use wired networks in for audio distribution, but your poiny is well taken.

Best Stereo System: Wired Sonos Connect -> AQ Cinammon Digital Coax -> Marantz SA-8005 -> AA Black Momba 2 interconnects -> Marantz PM-15S2 -> Kimber 8TC speaker Cables -> Zu Soul Superfly speakers.

Ingest> NAS> Distribution: Sony Vaio Laptop ripping via ITunes to Apple Lossless, manually synced to WD Mycloud NAS, Linksys 1900AC Router, Netgear Gig E switch, generic Ethernet cables, TPLinc ethernet power line extenders.