Nenon

Building a DIY Music Server

Rate this topic

@Nenon and others,

have any of you guys compared Intel vs AMD ? I think @Nenon has built both, so he must have some idea. Are there much differences between the two ? If one is starting a fresh build (and leaving the behind the price for now), is there a consensus which one sounds better ?

1 hour ago, Nenon said:

Nice! Excellent choice of components. Don't forget you may need a new BIOS for the Ryzen 7 3700X.

If I was starting a new build now, and if I did not have piles of parts I have been testing with just laying around, and if I was using USB output, and if I was not in a hurry... that's a lot of IFs... I would probably wait to see what JCAT is cooking.

I have been testing the JCAT Signature LAN Cable GOLD. It's really good. I am using it from my etherREGEN to my server. And it immediately became a main part of my system. It's one of these things that you put with huge disbelief (like the Stillpoints Ultra 6 under my speakers), and you realize right away that this is not going out of there. And you can't un-hear what you have heard. Damage done forever :). I have been been trying to avoid high-end LAN cables. The most expensive one I own is AudioQuest Vodka. I also have some cheaper ones - Supra, Cable Matters, etc. The AQ Vodka was better than the rest. But this JCAT is on another level. Granted, I don't have anything more expensive than the AQ Vodka, so I can't compare it with other expensive LAN cables.

I gave some feedback about the LAN cable to @Marcin_gps from JCAT, and he told me that he is planning to release a new USB card soon. He called it a "game changer". He also said that the existing USB card is not going anywhere.

But if you are in a hurry, you can't go wrong with the JCAT USB Card Femto or the PinkFaun USB Bridge with ultraOCXO clock. I've written about both of these cards before. 

Let see what is Marcin cooking then...

About the LAN GOLD from JCAT, seems out is awesome although 1000 ish USD is expensive...

It seems to me that you can upgrade the BIOS from ASUS, i believe it was ready since Oct-Nov 2019

Where i know for sure i will be playing blind, at least in the beginning is to set up BIOS the best way posible for Euphony...is there already a profile that any of these forum has gotten to be the best, or is it system dependent ?

Fully Grounded Audio Room - Topaz 1KVA - OYAIDE outlets - Paul Hynes SR4 19V for Uptone EtherRegen / HDPLEX 200W with Ghent JSSG360 DC, EPS & ATX cables + HDPLEX 800W DCATX + LessLoss Firewall 64x for HDPLEX H5 Fanless ( AMD Ryzen 7 3700X / Asus Rog Strix X470-I / 8GB Apacer Industrial Ram / Optane M10 32GB ) Server - LUSH USB Cable - DENAFRIPS Terminator DAC ) + LessLoss Firewall 64x - Tellurium Ultra Black II XLR & Speaker Cables - KINKI EX-M1 Integrated - PMC Twenty5 26 speakers. ( Power Cords LessLoss DFPC Signature )

Euphony ( Roon + StylusEp )

You should check out the Sablon Audio USB and LAN cables as well. Lots of great reviews on this site.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (WS 2016/AO/HQPlayer/Roon)> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

1 hour ago, ASRMichael said:

Am I now finished? simple answer is NO!!, so what's next??

•  I'm currently running an i7 7700T in turbo mode, this processor is not fast enough for running HQplayer with the settings I want to use. I can run in DSD 64 but 128. So I would like to upgrade my Mobo and CPU at some stage, to be honest I am awaiting Nenon new build later in the year running dual Xeon, failing that an i9 9900k 
  •  The above will require a dedicated 12V 10A Linear power supply
  •  OCXO Ultra for MOBO? again awaiting to see how Nenon gets on
  •  Planning replacing my HDPlex case with Turemetal UP10

That case look promising.  Do you have more information about it?

I am also been looking at different possibilities in fanless case for my HQPe server, and this case appears to be able to dissipate the higher power from HQP running EC7/DSD256.

9 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Thank you, I have seen that, but wonder if there are more information available.  I did read one review where they use AMD EPYC 7551 processor and an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 graphics card, and that is more than 355W of TDP that show a CPU temp of 76C and GPU at 88C, so with their 2.5kg of radiator weight, I think my i9900KS will survive fine.

Btw...as another data point, when running EC7/DSD256 on HQPlayer, i9900KS pulls about 85W and 25W to ATX, where CPU will have an inrush of about 140W during bootup.

5 minutes ago, elan120 said:

Thank you, I have seen that, but wonder if there are more information available.  I did read one review where they use AMD EPYC 7551 processor and an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 graphics card, and that is more than 355W of TDP that show a CPU temp of 76C and GPU at 88C, so with their 2.5kg of radiator weight, I think my i9900KS will survive fine.

Btw...as another data point, when running EC7/DSD256 on HQPlayer, i9900KS pulls about 85W and 25W to ATX, where CPU will have an inrush of about 140W during bootup.

That’s very useful info...any idea or are you able to test running DSD128? I presume I could under clock the i9900k? I don’t need much to run DSD128, I had it running with highly optimized windows at one point. It only skips after 40-60 seconds (buffer set to max). 

12 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

That’s very useful info...any idea or are you able to test running DSD128?

When running EC7/DSD64, i9900KS consumption dropped to about 65W.  I can run EC7/DSD128 later when I get home, but will assume it will likely be between the 85W with EC7/DSD256 and EC7/DSD64 of 65W.

11 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

are you able to test running DSD128?

Running Redbook upsample to EC7/DSD128 pulls between 70 to 75W.  Not too bad at all.

20 minutes ago, elan120 said:

Running Redbook upsample to EC7/DSD128 pulls between 70 to 75W.  Not too bad at all.

Thanks really appreciate that. One last question, what HQ player filter are you using? I'm using XTR Filter, so suspect will be higher?

14 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

That’s very useful info...any idea or are you able to test running DSD128? I presume I could under clock the i9900k? I don’t need much to run DSD128, I had it running with highly optimized windows at one point. It only skips after 40-60 seconds (buffer set to max). 

Good to see other builds, thanks ASRMichael, my i9700T runs DSD 128 with EC7 in HQP.

I have posted some photos of my ongoing build.

Z390 ASRock Z390 itx  MB

i79700T CPU

HDplex 2nd Gen H5 case  

HDplex 400w hifi DC-ATX - most recent version.

Have made up a Mundorf atx lead for MB, thanks Nenon

Uptone etherRegn

using audiolinux on server

HQP naa on NUC

I am powering the HDp with a Sean Jacobs DC3 5amp PS and using the 12v output from a HDplex linear 200w PS direct to the CPU.

This is a 2 box set up so I have the etherRegan between this server and a 7 i7DNBE NUC with a PH SR4  PS to the NUC

I am awaiting a PH SR7 dual rail + silver cables,  12v + 19v, (12 and 10 amp) to take over the PS duties and some apacer ram for the server and NUC.

Initially I had the  PH SR4 running the cpu direct and DC3 the atx 400w with the SJ to the NUC . The SR4 ran the cpu but struggled with powerful HQP filters. The configuration above deals fine with DSD 128 and suitable filters and sounds better.

I know there is debate over using high power CPU v low power ones. I just felt happier with low power in a passive case and my experience with an earlier build going from an i5 95w to i3 54w improved the sound. The core temps are around the mid 30 deg see screen shots below - the CPU load running HQP EC7 and DSD128

Z390.1.thumb.jpg.d83da6922c67bb2299b5ea94bc4af246.jpgZ390.2.thumb.jpg.0bef96f51c82471f32d2e147fa1e179c.jpg

744846644_CPUtempB.thumb.png.f6a4470d0e5a563f71a299c1b554b857.png

1757601864_CPUloadEC7x2dsdB.thumb.png.0966fb0e649acb2d96924286f2fa5473.png

erratum! just noticed I had made a mistake "cpu direct and DC3 the atx 400w with the SJ to the NUC" - should be ...cpu direct and HDplex 19v output to the atx 400w with the SJ to the NUC.

1 hour ago, dctom said:

Good to see other builds, thanks ASRMichael, my i9700T runs DSD 128 with EC7 in HQP.

I have posted some photos of my ongoing build.

Z390 ASRock Z390 itx  MB

i79700T CPU

HDplex 2nd Gen H5 case  

HDplex 400w hifi DC-ATX - most recent version.

Have made up a Mundorf atx lead for MB, thanks Nenon

Uptone etherRegn

using audiolinux on server

HQP naa on NUC

I am powering the HDp with a Sean Jacobs DC3 5amp PS and using the 12v output from a HDplex linear 200w PS direct to the CPU.

This is a 2 box set up so I have the etherRegan between this server and a 7 i7DNBE NUC with a PH SR4  PS to the NUC

I am awaiting a PH SR7 dual rail + silver cables,  12v + 19v, (12 and 10 amp) to take over the PS duties and some apacer ram for the server and NUC.

Initially I had the  PH SR4 running the cpu direct and DC3 the atx 400w with the SJ to the NUC . The SR4 ran the cpu but struggled with powerful HQP filters. The configuration above deals fine with DSD 128 and suitable filters and sounds better.

I know there is debate over using high power CPU v low power ones. I just felt happier with low power in a passive case and my experience with an earlier build going from an i5 95w to i3 54w improved the sound. The core temps are around the mid 30 deg see screen shots below - the CPU load running HQP EC7 and DSD128

Z390.1.thumb.jpg.d83da6922c67bb2299b5ea94bc4af246.jpgZ390.2.thumb.jpg.0bef96f51c82471f32d2e147fa1e179c.jpg

744846644_CPUtempB.thumb.png.f6a4470d0e5a563f71a299c1b554b857.png

1757601864_CPUloadEC7x2dsdB.thumb.png.0966fb0e649acb2d96924286f2fa5473.png

Hi, thanks for the useful info. One question what clock speed to you have set to? also what Filters are you using in HQ Player?. All this gives me reassurance. 

Just running in normal mode 2000mhz hence low cpu temp, with poly-sinc-ext2.  I did try turbo mode (4000) in AL initially which enabled a higher dsd rate however did not make a noticeable difference and the SR4 got quite warm, Have not tried it with present configuration. Will try again when I get SR7.

Have you guys compared internal (local hard drive) vs. external (NAS) storage?  Is the consensus that internal storage sound better?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (WS 2016/AO/HQPlayer/Roon)> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

I have been thinking about this. I have 2 x M2 Pcie slots which are supposed to be the best way to implement internal storage. I did try playing some files from an ssd via sata connection and there was a bit of an improvement, not massive . The M2 route could well be quite a bit better only thing is I would need 2 x 2TB boards which are fairly pricy. Would be good to hear from someone who has actually tried it.

6 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

Thanks really appreciate that. One last question, what HQ player filter are you using? I'm using XTR Filter, so suspect will be higher?

I am using poly-sinc-xtr-lp-2s filter, and all these readings were taken using this same filter.

1 hour ago, dctom said:

I have been thinking about this. I have 2 x M2 Pcie slots which are supposed to be the best way to implement internal storage. I did try playing some files from an ssd via sata connection and there was a bit of an improvement, not massive . The M2 route could well be quite a bit better only thing is I would need 2 x 2TB boards which are fairly pricy. Would be good to hear from someone who has actually tried it.

When you played from the SSD how did you power it, internal PS or external PS?

1 hour ago, dminches said:

When you played from the SSD how did you power it, internal PS or external PS?

Externally powered from Hdplex 200w.

9 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

just tried poly-sinc- xtr-lp-2s runs no problem.