IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

1 hour ago, StreamFidelity said:

During the boot process, high current peaks can overload weak power supplies. The boot process is aborted or repeated. This can destroy the motherboard. Which CPU are you using?

i9 10900k - has been working for 2 months now with turbo on. set to short 150w and long 120w. I have a 10a supply. I turned off Turbo and still the same issue, which leads to me the ATX rail. 

Interestingly when I connect my PC PSU and boot it then shutdown and connect my LPS, it works, but only once. 

I have my Taiko card, awaiting for my cables to get made. That will resolve the issue I'm sure. 

@StreamFidelity

I got it booted again. Connected pc psu loaded up Euphony. Shutdown. Connected LPS & worked. One thing I noticed was HD button flashes fast with pc psu, but same button lights up but doesn’t flash fast. It gets stuck on 2 flashes, maybe be drive is stopping the boot process.

I have added two extra sticks of ram and additional m.2 card. I wonder if ATX is getting enough power on boot. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Nenon whilst things are quite here at present, you posted previously you were going to post how to setup windows affinity etc on dual CPU’s. Using Asus sage board. 

I maybe see myself on a journey towards the dual cpu. Especially since I have the Taiko ATX card. 

I think users who plan to buy Taiko ATX, Unregulated PSU, Taiko case may be thinking about how to setup windows affinities etc. You posting how to do it may gather a lot more interest to go down that route. 

If you could do you write up that would be great. 

Cheers

22 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

Any extreme owners compared the Taiko USB to the JCAT USB XE yet?

I've had a Pink Faun Ultra Clocked spdif bridge card for a while, but decided to return it as the performance delta was not very large over JCAT USB XE -> Matrix Audio X-spdif 2 to warrant upgrade. The main difference was due to the ultraclock, with instrument placement (imaging) being cleaner (less haze around each instrument) on the pink faun.  How much better, not much, maybe 5% - so not big, but big enough to notice.  The Pink Faun Ultra Clocked spdif bridge is still the best bridge I've had so far mind.

So anyway, these findings lead me towards the Taiko USB which seems superb and USB is also more future proof than spdif... so probably a wiser investment.

(p.s. I presently use the USB XE to x-spdif 2 chain because Chord DAC's tend to sound better with spdif as noise generated internally to the DAC from the Amanero USB receiver is removed when USB is not in use.  I'll also be trying USB to spdif via SRC-DX courtesy of @Fourlegs shortly).

Are you aware Taiko USB is only available to Extreme owners? Yes I know pity, hopefully be made to others soon! 

1 hour ago, Gavin1977 said:

Yeah, priced at 1600 euro plus taxes.  Might be good demand if someone can demo against JCAT XE.  Emile has had a JCAT XE in the extreme, but their own card worked out better - would be nice for a more nuanced comparison.

Understand! I use Pink Faun Ultra usb. I would also need a demo before purchasing a Taiko USB. Very happy with my PF mind you. 

20 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Just something to keep in mind. When I was doing some research about USB cards, I learned that to use the Pink Faun USB card you need an AMD Processor. That's straight from Pink Faun themselves.

Are you sure? Thought was just spdif? I’ve just PF USB with 3 Intel processors without any issue at all. Windows & Linux. 

10 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Let me find the email from Jord Groen

This is from January 26th. And may refer only to Euphony as an endpoint, I am not sure.

I’ve just tried playing from my nuc using stylus to server (PF Usb is located). It’s running StylusEP and plays fine. I don’t understand why he would say this?! As I said no issues from my end. 

Maybe not suitable with some Mobo manufacturers. Saying that I’ve used ASRock & Asus. 

14 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Why wouldn't he?  He could bundle it with the Taiko ATX and instruct folks it must be connected through it (so as to power up correctly).  Maybe I'm missing something.  That handshake (USB to DAC) is probably the biggest handshake in computer audio, and if Taiko has such a world beater, proven to have value even outside an Extreme, do it!

Exactly, I see more reasons to release to everyone...

Profitability = reinvestment/R&D.

Someone who buys a USB might be attracted to buying an Extreme.
More successful products = more successful brand. 
I could go on....

Steve Jobs only ever wanted iTunes for mac, and we know what happened here. Because it made business sense, market was much bigger and not niche. 

I would ask what are the reasons not to? 

36 minutes ago, sakso136 said:

Oh also,i ordered the fan you use.

I received my new dac last month,and i m burning it.

So leaving my server working for ~8 hrs per day,on poorly ventilated room,without switching off,and tube amp g70 ( release a lot of heat),my dac have 5 tubes,basically when i enter my music room i feel like temperature is more than 30 degree celcius.

The sq was very bad.

Very frustrated,sceptical,i was suspecting the hot conditions are deteriorating the sq.

When i read your post,i reset the server,cool down the system,and boom,sq again top!

The p8 when left on for few days becomes bad i think.

By the way the temperature of cpu ( thru euphony os) where around 45 degrees celsius.

Why not turn amp off. Run Euphony burn in tool. Sending data to your dac. I’m running this way at the moment. I use Euphony burn in tool set to low. It’s been running for 5 days  24/7 now. Never need to check it. 

Just now, sakso136 said:

Hi, 

Nice.

How i can do it?

Go to Euphony expert settings. Scroll down to stress test. You’ll see settings “Hard” change to “Low” and start it. Watch your temps for a few minutes to make sure they don’t go too high. Mine are 55c on low setting. 

C07B30FF-8614-4CB3-BF9C-2A125EF13864.png

3 hours ago, Exocer said:

Some typos in my pervious post. I meant "single CPU" not single core. I also meant upsampling where I stated "oversampling".

Anyway...

Here is what the EPS cable looks like:496206780_EPSCable(2).thumb.jpg.b3fabc75f25897fceca7a4fe304185b7.jpg

I am also sending external power to the Femto NVME drive and this was a substantial improvement across the board. I have zero recent frame of reference to what "analog" sounds like, but everything about the sound has improved. There are some real benefits to be had by using clean dedicated power and good clock for Storage.

@TopkInteresting. I remember @BCRich and I were chatting about this at one point. I would like to try this, but, I'm not sure it would be possible with the 2-rail LPS I have. At the moment, I am powering both ATX/EPS with 1 19v rail of my 2 rail LPS. I have the 2nd rail of the same LPS available for use.. Would I fry my machine by using that 2nd rail to power the 4-pin connector? The CPU would receive power from the Taiko DC-ATX and a separate dedicated 12v rail rated up to 12a continuous.

Cheers,

-Rob

Two Taiko’s. 1 for each EPS connector? 😂😂

2 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

I have returned my HDPlex 500w linear.  Good customer service from Larry, but I waited a year for it to become available and the product just isn't up to scratch at the moment.

Anyone got any alternatives for me?

All about budget. Taiko ATX & Sean Jacobs DC3? That’s what I’m using! Hence the response! 👍

• 2 weeks later...