IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

11 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

Dual Xeon 4114 will only boot with RDIMM like D51.23244S.001 as shown below, please be cautious and DO NOT get the regular UDIMM

I think the latencies are quite high.

Apacer [email protected] MHz RAM

1,000 / 2,666 * 19 = 14.25 nanoseconds

It can be done better, for example [email protected] MHz RAM

1,000 / 2,400 * 10 = 8.33 nanoseconds (0.00000833 ms)

The 2.400 MHz is not very high, but in combination with the CL value, the latencies are very low.

Grigg Audio Solutions Owner

StreamFidelitys Setup

Sonus Faber Amati Futura | T + A M10 | T + A SDV 3100 HV | fis Audio PC | HFX RipNAS Solid V4 | GigaWatt PC2-EVO + | Solidsteel HJ-3 / HY-A

So I have a 4114 source already. Do i need to stick to another 4114 or can i also pick up a 4210. Looks to be almost the same chip and there are plenty of Intel chips around where the difference in the model number is more about binning than a change in CPU.

2 hours ago, RickyV said:

Apperently there is something else besides latency that influences SQ.

It might be the Ram refresh rate, tRF-c, the slower the refresh / longer the cycle, the better the sound. You can adjust this in some bios, but I couldn't find a setting in Sage bios.

It also could be different things, why does Optane sound better than a regular SSD?, is it the material used or the implementation or the latency, frequency? Same question would IMO probably apply for RAM.

AMD 5, Pink Faun I2S OCXO, home grown RJ45 cable, Metrum Amethyst (I2S), Klangfilm 204a, Klangfilm Trionor (3Tesla 835, JBL2402)

25 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

why does Optane sound better than a regular SSD?

It could also be due to the latencies. See image.

1d4c-gap-5web.jpg

Source: PC Perspective INTEL’S OPTANE DC PERSISTENT MEMORY DIMMS PUSH LATENCY CLOSER TO DRAM

I consider the lowest possible latency to be one of the keys to audio PCs.

Latencies can also be set in the software. With ASIO drivers (USB), Taiko Audio experimented with the buffer settings to my knowledge.

If you are interested, I wrote something about latencies (click on translate): Audio PC latencies

Grigg Audio Solutions Owner

StreamFidelitys Setup

Sonus Faber Amati Futura | T + A M10 | T + A SDV 3100 HV | fis Audio PC | HFX RipNAS Solid V4 | GigaWatt PC2-EVO + | Solidsteel HJ-3 / HY-A

thanks, I can read German! I did read up on computer latency, my take home message is that is likely is important but not THE key driver for many processes. I'll read your article!

AMD 5, Pink Faun I2S OCXO, home grown RJ45 cable, Metrum Amethyst (I2S), Klangfilm 204a, Klangfilm Trionor (3Tesla 835, JBL2402)

sounds like a plan, yet hard to pull off as the effects are subjective....

My experience is that the corsair vengeance LPX (not the 5000 but an older 3200 version) I replaced with the Apacer 'unobtanium' sounded 'dirtier' It helped using them with the precooked LPX settings but the Apacer outperformed them sonically.