IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

21 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

https://www.diretta.link/download/

https://www.diretta.link/download/ASIODriver.pdf

https://www.diretta.link/download/diretta_usb_bridge_x64_limited-forumhifi.zip

FYI - @Patatorz wrote this nice article about Diretta here

http://patatorz.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=46

http://patatorz.com/2021/01/02/english-diretta-protocol-an-improvement-in-digital-streaming/

N3nh0oE.png

6ZGPPqD.jpg

https://mixi.jp/view_bbs.pl?comm_id=6253388&id=78749654

Audio over Ether could bypass the entire TCP/IP stack, it's acting pretty much like RDMA from Mellanox.

So far the beta testers who gave AoE a try would praise its wonderful sound, one of them also compiled that for x86 machines already.

Anymore info on audio over ether?

@seeteeyou When you say many Linux distro's are boring when compared to other stuff do you mean pace of development or sound quality?

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

1 hour ago, genvirt said:

Hi all! (sorry for my not really good English)

Finally here is my two cent:)
First I want to THANK to all who supports me in this build and was very patient and helpful, especially to @nenon , who opened this wonderful thread and gave me a full support for my endless questions and much more, and to @elan120 who also support me in all issues.
So, it starts one summer weekend day, when I bumped up into this thread, while looking for “how to improve my three year old PC sound”, it took me two days for finish reading all this and the decision had fall.
I decided to build Nenon’s built (his summer configuration):

H5 2nd Gen Fanless PC Case

HDPLEX 800W DC-ATX with 16V-63VDC Input

ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero AMD Ryzen 2 AM4 DDR4 M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 ATX X470

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

Apacer ECC RAM (2x4gb)

USB CARD XE

NET CARD XE

Intel Optane Memory M.2 2280 32GB PCIe NVMe 3.0 x 2 (MEMPEK1W032GAXT)

Also I decided to build PSU that will “feed this all”, after searching and learning I‘ll going to build DIY PSU based on Dr. Sean Jacobs components (elan120 post great instructions that I’ll be using), for now all staff had comes finally to me and I can start with (hope soon I will), but this will be an another story:)
For PSU I ordered Modushop chassis that have 13 heigh front plate and by advise of Nenon I ordered one more plate for using as a front panel of PC for “set looking” staff. 
After thinking a while I decided to add heigh to HDPlex chassis that will suit 13cm front panel and for vertical installation of 800w dc-atx. For this I ordered two side panels of same H5 HDPlex chassis and cut them (maybe if I were start it today, I would using Modushop chassis for PC straight ahead ).
Well, there were a lot of drill and cut work that had been done here:)
I “wasted” one front plate and finally used it as additional separate plate with preparation for additional cooling if it will needed (my CPU temp was quite high and it took me a lot of time to nail it, finally it is much better, but I’m thinking anyway to add a bit more cooling here).
For not being “stuck” without a music while building PSU I added HDPlex 200w AC adapter for a while.

So ,what about the sound?
Oh yes, never my system has sounded such great!
I really love it, straight out of the box it sounds amazing! 
(I’m using Euphony OS and for me it’s the best sounding OS).

At start point I used JCat USB Femto card (from previous PC) and now it exchanged for XE one - wonderful improvement in all aspects (thank You @Marcin_gps!), hope soon to order an JCat XE Net card too.
In the future I’ll exchange internal PC cables for DIY.
Add bit useful info of my project that I centralized (most were posted by Nenon prior actually).

FFADBCEF-C5A4-4C3E-9AB8-CD1827D17B3C.jpeg

BC15C974-6A52-4B85-A8DB-AB1AAFE5B7D5.jpeg

0D860BD6-7016-4271-9885-8F9F74BF7997.jpeg

PC parts.pdf 134.89 kB · 4 downloads

Well done on new build. What CPU temps are you getting? 

12 hours ago, genvirt said:

Hi all! (sorry for my not really good English)

Finally here is my two cent:)
First I want to THANK to all who supports me in this build and was very patient and helpful, especially to @nenon , who opened this wonderful thread and gave me a full support for my endless questions and much more, and to @elan120 who also support me in all issues.
So, it starts one summer weekend day, when I bumped up into this thread, while looking for “how to improve my three year old PC sound”, it took me two days for finish reading all this and the decision had fall.
I decided to build Nenon’s built (his summer configuration):

H5 2nd Gen Fanless PC Case

HDPLEX 800W DC-ATX with 16V-63VDC Input

ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero AMD Ryzen 2 AM4 DDR4 M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 ATX X470

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

Apacer ECC RAM (2x4gb)

USB CARD XE

NET CARD XE

Intel Optane Memory M.2 2280 32GB PCIe NVMe 3.0 x 2 (MEMPEK1W032GAXT)

Also I decided to build PSU that will “feed this all”, after searching and learning I‘ll going to build DIY PSU based on Dr. Sean Jacobs components (elan120 post great instructions that I’ll be using), for now all staff had comes finally to me and I can start with (hope soon I will), but this will be an another story:)
For PSU I ordered Modushop chassis that have 13 heigh front plate and by advise of Nenon I ordered one more plate for using as a front panel of PC for “set looking” staff. 
After thinking a while I decided to add heigh to HDPlex chassis that will suit 13cm front panel and for vertical installation of 800w dc-atx. For this I ordered two side panels of same H5 HDPlex chassis and cut them (maybe if I were start it today, I would using Modushop chassis for PC straight ahead ).
Well, there were a lot of drill and cut work that had been done here:)
I “wasted” one front plate and finally used it as additional separate plate with preparation for additional cooling if it will needed (my CPU temp was quite high and it took me a lot of time to nail it, finally it is much better, but I’m thinking anyway to add a bit more cooling here).
For not being “stuck” without a music while building PSU I added HDPlex 200w AC adapter for a while.

So ,what about the sound?
Oh yes, never my system has sounded such great!
I really love it, straight out of the box it sounds amazing! 
(I’m using Euphony OS and for me it’s the best sounding OS).

At start point I used JCat USB Femto card (from previous PC) and now it exchanged for XE one - wonderful improvement in all aspects (thank You @Marcin_gps!), hope soon to order an JCat XE Net card too.
In the future I’ll exchange internal PC cables for DIY.
Add bit useful info of my project that I centralized (most were posted by Nenon prior actually).

FFADBCEF-C5A4-4C3E-9AB8-CD1827D17B3C.jpeg

BC15C974-6A52-4B85-A8DB-AB1AAFE5B7D5.jpeg

0D860BD6-7016-4271-9885-8F9F74BF7997.jpeg

PC parts.pdf 134.89 kB · 21 downloads

I bought HPlex5 but I'm disapinted. Quality is not what I expected.

5 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

You should be able to get that lower. Your build is very similar to mine. I'm running at 5.0ghz. Gets good temps. 

Euphony right now not supporting temperature measure for Ryzen cpu, so it hart to understand what I’m getting, and boot win or bios native each time for monitoring is too annoying - if here is other option - thank You!:)

what do You mean by “running at 5.0ghz” - some bios settings?

taiko audio is likely coming with a DIY solution for a fanless case fairly soon from what I read here.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

My glassfiber is up, switches warming up and not having the Finisar SFPs. Sound of streamed Tidal files is almost as good as local FLACs which have a tad more energy/dynamics and seemingly better microresolution/air.

All in all a very nice improvement over CAT8.1 I was using (with the same switches). 

installing a Khozmo stepped shunt attenuator using a Vishay Zfoil in series is also having a NICE impact :-)

edit; that Khozmo is stupid good, most transparent attenuator I ever heard and least hindering dynamics,

and all of this with some Mundorf wire breaking in as interlink to audition it in a week or two.

44 minutes ago, Nenon said:

There is one particular question we are wondering about. For those who will be following this DIY recipe and building this computer - you are willing to pay 20-30% more for the extra space in a bigger chassis like this. 

There is of course plans to fill that space with a state of the art power supply. That's something that is still in the works and will be a part of the complete DIY recipe. It seems like there is a lot of excellent technology Taiko is willing to share with us. 

Thanks for the update Nenon.  I'm not nearly as concerned with the footprint of the chassis as I am with the accompanying power offering that would fill that extra space.

EDIT: I like the idea of the heavier chassis materials.  Also, a small detail I've been thinking about for my current DIY server -- it might be good to consider a common thread for studs that fit some of the more affordable feet like the BDR cones.

4 Xeon CPU-s w each 140W TDP? I;d be highly surprised if ANY chassis can handle that with just passive cooling. 

In the grand scream of things a higher priced case of a) better quality b) more room is universally advantageous. If one is shooting for great SQ, the price is secondary. Besides, the case is chump change compared to the rest of the BoM. (particularly the LPS’s)

As an aside I heard a rumour that Innuos was going to release a audio grade Network Switch for around $3k. Not sure how valid that might be.

4 hours ago, Nenon said:

There is of course plans to fill that space with a state of the art power supply. That's something that is still in the works and will be a part of the complete DIY recipe. It seems like there is a lot of excellent technology Taiko is willing to share with us. 

Excited to see the renderings! Already a fan of the look.

Regarding the recipe including an SOTA LPSU inside of the case, I did not expect you to be on board with that, given your previously mentioned preference for keeping the transformers in a separate enclosure. My guess is there will eventually be an internal "wall" option to install, for those interested in building the power supply within the chassis.

I will deviate from the recipe with my external PSU.So,the extra space will go unused until I budget for the SOTA internal unit. It would be nice to have one less box and shorter DC cables!

4 hours ago, dminches said:

I think having a bigger case is good.  As long as it can fit on a standard audio rack shelf I say do it.

Absolutely agree!

Exciting times ahead.