IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

10 minutes ago, mikicasellas said:

Is it the 8522 or the 8522 PLUS ?

The photo im getting from 8522 is this one:

image.thumb.png.646b5c064987e7291a46df2e29998ed3.png

good catch, on the brink of ordering...I read it as the 8552 is compatible with SFP+ which should mean it is compatible with the 1Gbit SFPs I have in transit.

I will likely need to find a space on my MB which only has 3 PCIe slots of which one is 1X one is 8x and one 16x....probably need to find a cheap 1x PCIe video card as the system works headless anyhow.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

26 minutes ago, Nenon said:

IIRC the plus version includes PTP license. We don't need that. 

If I understand correctly what that does I can always start trading when the card comes with a licence :-)

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

1 minute ago, NewOldman said:

sent from where?

Netherlands I assume, given that Taiko is a Dutch company. So do check if you need to add VAT/BTW, it's 21% in the Netherlands.

In the WBF thread Emile mentioned he had quite a bit of interest for the DC-DC converter and would respond by sending a pre order form, but let's wait for Nenon to clarify. The form itself IMO is a too bit too brief..

looking at the dissipation of the card on the specs I found  is 7 - 10 Watts, surely that can do without a large heatsink.

3 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

It’s only asking for initial interest. You’re not buying anything. Just saying yes I want to know more. Sign up & I’m sure you’ll get briefed in due course

I did, I'm not scared off that easily ;-)  it's just that I think other may be scared off making it more unlikely the piece materialises!

in my experience most/many DAC's outperform their front end for quite a while, there is of course a connection between what 'level' you want both to be at for all components of the chain...I've heard GREAT if not the best music through stellar speakers coming from a laptop playing youtube footage through a lowly T-Amp (class D amp, here with a tweaked PSU), same setup with a POC tube amp was WAY better, magic happening... Speakers matter a lot, quite a LOT!

17 minutes ago, LTG2010 said:

'Unregulated' is also a slightly misleading term. If we look at Extreme smoothing section there's a huge amount of capacitance, 700,000 mf on a single rail, compare this to 20,000/40,000 on a DC3/DC4 (different design implementation) therefore a large amount of smoothing and ripple reduction, and a huge super store of instantaneous current, one of the reasons I suspect for the descriptions of big dynamics, bass impact, scale, etc. In guess this is an ideal match for fast acting regulators.

Second a huge choke input, again more filtering and smoothing, plus a stabiliser for current fluctuations (acts like a regulator).

That is exactly my thought, just do the math; for a low ripple current you need a what is seen as very high capacitance at the current drawn.

8 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Mouser

I ordered from Mouser and had it on house within 4 or 5 business days, shipped from Texas...amazing!

It also could be different things, why does Optane sound better than a regular SSD?, is it the material used or the implementation or the latency, frequency? Same question would IMO probably apply for RAM.

thanks, I can read German! I did read up on computer latency, my take home message is that is likely is important but not THE key driver for many processes. I'll read your article!

sounds like a plan, yet hard to pull off as the effects are subjective....

My experience is that the corsair vengeance LPX (not the 5000 but an older 3200 version) I replaced with the Apacer 'unobtanium' sounded 'dirtier' It helped using them with the precooked LPX settings but the Apacer outperformed them sonically.

great info Nenon!

I'm hoping for TAS, even if that may impose using W LTSC, as I have grown into liking how Taiko is doing what they are doing a LOT reading about their efforts at WBF!

I have not read as much detail from any operation on design evolving around listening to various options before implementation as from them!

Would High-End Munich happen in 2021 I'd likely attend a session should their equipment be around, could drive over to pay them a visit at some point, but for that darned COVID thing...

great read! Makes lots of sense to me, in my setup I'm not particularly fond of upsampling and there will be more people like me but that should make the job at hand easier.

Just wondering, thinking out loud, when designing a music player app it should be possible to take care of caching to a memory location of choice (Optane, RAM etc) and shut off unwanted not needed network...when playing headless that may get us to the point where a track cannot be interrupted until it's finished and the network is activated, likely ease of use is the trade off but if doable it may well be an option users can select, sort of a 'full paranoia options on for selected tracks' tick box. For serious listening I'd be sure to use it as I'm currently playing from RAM and then disengaging the network for serious listening whcih often leads to a reboot of Daphile once network is restored.

@Foggie

interesting, I recently stuck my new switched in my ISP router 'isolating' audio from all else and found it nice improvement.

Can you elaborate on how you dissected your network? 

1 hour ago, JonD said:

I have managed to pick up a couple of Intel 4114 on the cheap from eBay, just by being patient. Bit of a result. So will be waiting to see how things develop with this exciting DIY project over the coming months.

Whilst this project matures, I have been looking at my network setup and making a few changes, so will see how my dCS Bartok likes them :)

Whar range do you coonsider cheap? I have been looking around but do not yet have a feel for the price range, anything between 360 and 700-800 goes

wrong subforum..

isn't (at least part) of the idea behind the Solarflare FPGA card to take the network burden off the CPU?

Using the LL functions may go the opposite direction but if SQ is better the solarflare card can be used as is.

the helix is great for AC, and indeed less needed for DC.

Don't get blinded by Dielectric constants, unless you see them over a wide frequency range. IMO the best dielectric is Vacuum, the next best is air, as in as little dieletcricum as possible which is not always feasible. 

Also, if you can; add EMI shielding to your cables.

@MarkusBarkus Just try it, you'll like the result! Pay attention to the naked cable and pick a nice insulator ( I suggest insulating your own bare wire) and play around with cable thickness, core material, Insulation material, and cable geometry. This one works very well! Using a Hohlleiter (core) makes it easier to create.

1 hour ago, Darryl R said:

I was only thinking about it in terms playback commands from a remote device, that limited scenario I described above where music is local, USB to DAC.

that might be feasible, audio over BT is less likely due acc. to this :

https://habr.com/en/post/456182/

Big question is, is adding a BT dongle , likley via a USB port, to the audio PC doing more damage than using the network in a non continuous fashion?

I don't need USB as I'm using I2S for data to DAC, so I can shut all USB off after booting in the BIOS (makes an audible difference) and would like to be able to optionally switch off ethernet. That MIGHT be doable from within the OS/player software, occasionally streaming Qobuz/Tidal etc ethernet is needed, I wonder if adding BT would be worthwhile?

I'm following that thread for quite a while now, it is a mystery to me how it would be feasible to improve files that have been corrupted in the past without altering them (f.e by using a checksum from a non existing global 'master' database or something to repair them)...as much as I am convinced that the Taiko team knows what they are doing and they are auditioning all they do I don't understand this one, not one bit.

3 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

The bottom line being, there is a future in sight where you do not have to worry about how you rip your CDs, or where your files are located, or whether you've copied them too often. We will however never be able to remediate differences in mastering techniques.

You may e right @Nenon ; My interpretation was based on this part, which is from WBF. It would definitely surprise me if they found the holy audio grail of fixing previously damaged files.

The implication of saying that they cannot remediate different mastering techniques and not having to worry about how we rip a CD or how many copies we make seems to go further than sound quality not being affected by which location you are playing your files from. I assume in reality it means; all of this applies ONCE their algorithm is implemented on your system but I did not read that anywhere, nor does it matter for now.

We'll see, it would be great if it holds true...taking a couple of worry zones out of the equation is good enough for me!