IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

17 hours ago, internethandle said:

@Nenon have you ever attempted something like this motherboard memory power bypass that was discussed some time ago in the Irish Tir Na Hifi forum? They were using LT3045 regs back then and PHD supplies etc. to directly power the RAM sticks. Something I haven't seen done before or since.

Here's the thread:

http://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3267&start=90

Some pics from the above page:

4 hours ago, Ben-M said:

Not that the method is the same, but separately and directly powering the ram was a top flight modder's mod back 4-5 years ago on the JPlay forums. Everyone who did it said it was a critical mod, but I never saw it catch on with any "commercial" music PC offerings and it seems to have drifted out of the limelight now. 

I always thought it was an interesting sounding mod. 

This is interesting. I thought about it at some point but never tried it. It would obviously require a careful study of the motherboard design to figure out how to cut the ATX power and how to feed the RAM with a LPS without impacting the sensor / protection triggers. 

This would be quite difficult / costly to do on the Asus Sage motherboard I am using now. It has a quite complicated design, and I have 12 DIMMs. Already destroyed one CPU by accidently shorting two memory pins. With a $650 motherboard price and $550 per CPU street price, a few mistakes can make this experiment quite costly. I am not willing to do that. But it's probably worth trying on a cheaper and less complicated motherboard.

At this stage, I think that full linear power regulation is not necessarily the best thing in the world. While a linear power supply is the most important component in the digital source, I find a mixture of linear regulators and switching regulators to sound better.

Perhaps that has nothing to do with linear vs. switching regulators but more with low powered vs. high powered processing. High power processing requires... as you can guess - more power. And it is practically impossible to provide the required Amps of low voltage (i.e. 1V let's say) fully linear regulated.

Imagine having to provision 100W at 1 Volt of linear regulated power to the CPU? That would be 100A of current. And let's say you are using regulators that need to drop 5V. That would be 500W of heat dissipation for your linear regulators. Passively cooling 500W of heat dissipation? Not sure what it takes to do that, but in my mind I imagine a heatsink the size of a speaker :). The good news is RAM does not require that many watts.

I am yet to hear a fully linear regulated computer or streamer that sounds better than some of our DIY attempts with high powered CPUs that use quite a few switching regulators. There are companies like Sonore, SOTM, etc. that try to do that, but those are in my opinion far away from what we are achieving with our DIY experiments here. But again, that's not comparing apples to apples. In fact every time I have replaced a switching mode power supply with a good linear regulated LPS, I have heard an improvement. So that experiment is definitely worth a try. 

Please post here if you try this. It would be nice to see a step by step guide and what the outcome was in sound quality. There are quite a few people here that can do it. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

3 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

@Nenon For your dual CPU Asus c621 build, how is it's HQPlayer performance? Can you run Sinc-M, or Sinc-L at DSD512, with some of the more demanding modulators like ASDM7EC?

I don't know as I don't upsample. Those CPUs don't have super high clock speed and may not be the best for heavy Hqplayer usage.

My guess is if you push them too hard, you would run into some cooling problems with the HDPlex heatsink... And you would need a high current LPS. 

Industry disclosure: 

On 7/14/2020 at 11:10 AM, mikicasellas said:

If i keep only HDPLEX & PH SR4T by now, am i going into this type of issue ?

Do the DXPs contribute to this problem ?

Thanks

Sorry, I missed your question. I would not call this an "issue". But to me it's not ideal to mix multiple power supplies that all connect to the same ground eventually (i.e. the motherboard ground). 

My comment was more generic that I find the ground to be quite important and prefer not to mix the grounds from multiple power supplies. That's given all other factors are equal. If other factors are not equal, like in your case, I can't tell what's better. You would have to try for yourself. 

In terms of grounding, your 2A scenario looks better.

On 7/13/2020 at 4:38 PM, Nenon said:

SCENARIO #2A:

HDPLEX 200W powering JCAT with DXP

HDPLEX 200W powering CPU directly & MOBO thru HDPLEX 800W DCATX

PH SR4T powering ER with DXPs

But I also have a feeling that your 1A scenario is worth a try. In this case, you are mixing the grounds, but it could be that the SR4T is performing better on the DCATX. I don't know, because I have never compared the SR4T to the HDPlex 200W directly. 

On 7/13/2020 at 4:38 PM, Nenon said:

SCENARIO #1A:

HDPLEX 200W powering ER & JCAT with DXPs

HDPLEX 200W powering CPU directly 

PH SR4T "try" to power MOBO thru HDPLEX 800W DCATX

When you power the CPU directly, the ATX connector typically does not need a lot of power. It needs around 30W in my case. 

It could be that the SR4T is a better LPS and that brings more than the multiple grounds take away. The important part is the final result, and only you can test and decide what sounds better in your system.

Industry disclosure: 

7 hours ago, Soul Analogue said:

Some updates on my epyc project

Chassis and Solidworks sketch of the cpu heatsink for CNC machining 

Careful measurements of dimensions, holes and clearance are necessary

0DB58623-5EEE-4CCF-85AA-81B3A594EC1F.jpeg

030E4D85-6427-44B5-A22F-CE951D48BFD4.jpeg

Looking good. Keep updating us. Thank you for sharing. 

Industry disclosure: 

6 hours ago, Mr Morris said:

Quick question. I am wiring up my 24 pin ATX connector back to my regulator boards. What happens to the grey and the green?  Thanks 

6 hours ago, Mr Morris said:

. .. and the blue!

I am assuming you mean pin 8 (grey), pin 16 (green), and pin 14 (blue)?

Noxal.jpg.eae5cdc622e020648b8922f9fbd3cc59.jpg

Pin 8 connect to the +5V DC rail.

Pin 16 controls the ATX PS on/off. You don't need to connect it. 

Pin 14 is not needed. Same for PIN 20 - not needed. 

Industry disclosure: 

4 minutes ago, Exocer said:

Interesting. 

I have a two rail LPS on the way. One 19v rail will feed an HDPlex DC-ATX power supply and the other rail, 12v, will go directly to CPU.

I am now wondering if this will be cause for concern with the ASUS Strix Z390-i you selected for the first project in this thread...

I suppose I could repurpose the 12v rail for other devices if I must.

Let me clarify...

My post was about powering two CPUs on the same board. Those CPUs don't have isolated power rails, and you can't use two dedicated rails (i.e. one per CPU). Hence, I recommend using one EPS rail for both CPUs. It just happened that the 12V EPS rail on this particular motherboard is also shared with the 12V on the 24-pin ATX connector.

You are good with your two rail LPS for the ASUS Strix Z390-i. That's what I would do in your case too. My post was about a different case. 

Industry disclosure: 

3 hours ago, exeric2 said:

Hi, newbie here that has been following along. I plan to reproduce Nenon's Asus Crosshair version with Ryzen CPU. I have many of the parts in hand and others are on order. One thing I haven't been able to order is the HDPlex 800 watt dc-atx converter. They are not in stock anywhere and no update from them when they will be in stock. I know Nenon was not impressed with the sound using the HDPlex 400 dc-atx but I'm thinking I may try it.

Here's the question: I'd like to use the 400 dc-atx but not use +12V output from it to the motherboard. I have a dual rail LPS coming with 12V and 19V rails. I'd originally planned to use the 12 rail to only go to the EPS connector. I'd like to now feed the 12V atx connection from that same LPS 12 rail. Would there be a problem doing that. The only one I can imagine happening is with different grounds going to the atx connection on the motherboard, one from the LPS 12 rail and one from the atx ground that is being fed from the other 19v rail of the same LPS. Could this be a problem? I realize this might be going into the weeds but does anyone know what some of the different grounds on the atx connector are linked to. If there is one specifically linked to the 12V input on the motherboard atx connector I could supply that ground straight from the 12v LPS rail...

The Asus Crosshair does NOT share the same 12V rail between the EPS connector and the ATX connector. I would recommend you power up the ATX connector from the HDplex 400/800 and power the EPS connector from your 12V rail. There is a benefit to isolating the 12V CPU/EPS rail from the rest. 

All motherboards I have seen have a common ground plane between all the rails. If you really want to try to feed the 12V ATX from the same rail as the EPS, you can of course try that. But I don't recommend it. 

As for trying to get a HDPlex 800W DC-ATX, email Larry. He gets small batches and sells them via email. Have him add you to the waiting list, and you would be able to get one faster this way. 

Industry disclosure: 

7 hours ago, jean-michel6 said:

I have one question which puzzled me . On the beginning of this thread you are detailing the construction of a server that you built using three dc3 reg to supply the dc atx for this board . 
I am surprised to see that there is no boost modules for these dc3reg . 
The dc3reg by itself is capable of only 1.5A power which is quite low you need the boost module to go to 5A .

Sean had two types of DC3 regulators at the time - 1.5A and a more powerful one. I called the more powerful one "5A" in my posts. 

On 1/10/2020 at 11:15 AM, Nenon said:

There will be 3 regulator boards in this chassis, all of them feeding a 20-pin ATX connector on the motherboard. They are: 3.3V (1.5A), 5V (5.0A), and 12V (1.5A).

I think those don't necessarily provide continuous 5A, hence Sean is offering the boost module for 5A applications. But the 5V ATX rail does not need continuous 5A. It only needs to be able to handle occasional peaks over 1.5A, so that arrangement worked fine. I had tested it on other builds and knew that worked fine.

My friend already had a SJ 12V LPS with a boost module, which he used for the EPS:

On 1/10/2020 at 12:01 AM, Nenon said:

The EPS connector will be powered by another 12V Sean Jacobs DC3 LPS he already has.

Industry disclosure: 

I share mostly success stories, but there is a lot going on behind the scenes with my experiments. Here is a behind the scenes failure story... Tried to replace the clock on one of my Buffalo switches, and the switch board is fried.

IMG_3671.jpg.97de0b041281aeaa799bca3770439994.jpg

The problem is I don't know why. I had someone else remove the clock, so that might be part of the problem. Also USPS was quite brutal with this package as it can be seen by the bended port. 

Well, one less precious Buffalo in this world. That specific buffalo breed is nearly extinct!

I will sacrifice another one, and hopefully it would work out next time. 

Industry disclosure: 

Thank you all for your concerns and willingness to help. This is a normal day in the life of a DIY-er :). We just don't post too much about failures and only share success stories. I decided to switch things around for a moment. Give me a few days to get one working, and I will post pictures and instructions. I'll then try to inspect closer what happened to this one. 

Industry disclosure: 

1 hour ago, sig8 said:

My current Gigabyte Z490 Master motherboard has two available 8-pin CPU power connectors. I have only connected to one connector. Should I connect to both? I have never had or seen two 8-pins connectors near CPU before. Thanks.

The main reason some motherboards have more connectors is to be able to provide more current to the CPU, for more power hungry CPUs or for overclocking. The typical wire going to the EPS is 18 AWG. 4 x 18 AWG wires give you about 12 AWG combined gauge. But if you use both connectors, that would be 8 x 18 AWG wires, which is around 9 AWG.

The motherboard Taiko Extreme has 3 connectors - 2 x 8 pins, and 1 x 6 pin, plus 2 of the wires from the ATX connector go to the same +12V DC rail. So that's total of 13 x 18 AWG wires, which is around 7 AWG combined wire gauge. No wonder why Taiko Extreme users report that thick power cords work really good!

In your case, you have to look at multiple factors. How many Watts or Amps is your power supply? How thick are the power supply wires? What processor are you using? How are you using the CPU? Are you overclocking or underclocking? Are you upsampling? And so on...

For most cases just using one EPS connector is good enough. I suspect that's the case for you as well but don't have enough details to tell for sure. 

Industry disclosure: 

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, iCarus said:

It's a very interesting thread but you can get first class HiFi using two used Intel Atom boards and a Linux distro. 

Please share. I have a couple of them in my closet and was never able to get first class HiFi, no matter the rest of the hardware, power supplies, operating system, software, etc. Actually at the time I used them I thought they were pretty good, but after another year of experiments, I think they are good but not even remotely close to some of the builds discussed here. 

Industry disclosure: