IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

2 minutes ago, Downtheline said:

I think you have also used the pink faun i2s bridge in some of your builds. I may use an AMD CPU to be able to use the i2s bridge, but prefer the intel i9-9900k with the maximus gene XI mobo... pink faun says some intel CPUs work with their bridge, some don't. Do you know first hand if these play well together? Anyone else care to chime in?

Thank you again

I do. the PinkFaun I2S bridge would NOT work on the i9-9900k with the maximus gene XI mobo. That's one of the reasons I went the AMD route some time ago. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Brianfromspace said:

It made me stop buying a Innuos server and after reading all 17 pages of this thread yesterday night,

Innuos is a great option if you are not into DIY. 

2 hours ago, Brianfromspace said:

-I understand the other soldering you did was to be able to power the clock/CPU and the 800W from the DC3 unit you have. Are the cables you use also available on the market pre build? If not: are you willing to build and sell me a similar setup (without the one for the clock? It looks awesome and again I don't dare to start soldering on this server myself.

(The only option I see w/o soldering is the HDplex 400W ATW LPS, I see a separate connector for the CPU, but I don't know if that means it's powered separately. If your answer to the last question is: no can do, what would you advise me as a power supply for the board/CPU/JcatUSBcard)

Ping me on PM on that. I occasionally do some DC cables for members here but don't always have the time.

-Could you tell us the specs on the DC3 unit that makes it ready for this setup?

21V - 5A for the HDPlex 800W DC to DC ATX

12V - 10A for the CPU / EPS

5V - 3A for the JCAT USB XE

5V - 3A for the JCAT Net Femto

5V - 3A for PinkFaun ultra OCXO clock

Why didn't you use a fibre PCI card instead of the Jcat Ethernet to eliminate noise from ethernet cables? I will only stream from tidal/roon/EuphonicOS, i'm wondering also how much it matters making the internet input clean.

I prefer the JCAT Net Femto in this build. If has better clock and external power. 

Fiber NICs, such as the Startech PEX1000SFP2 card draw power from the PCIe slot, which generates more electrical noise than an externally powered JCAT NICs. I have found that tweaking my network and adding fiber elsewhere is a better approach and works better for me. Tweaking the network is a whole other topic.

-Why do you use only 8gb or RAM? When booting Euphony from RAM, is this enough?

Yes, it's more than enough in my case. Even 4GB works, but you are too close to the edge.

Industry disclosure: 

32 minutes ago, Peter Avgeris said:

First of all, I really can't see any reason for building such monsters for music playback. Music always sounds better with lower power machines, provided the computational power is adequate. Exceptions? Of course: ROON playback software. During the years, it requires more and more power to work properly. More cores but this comes at an expense for sound quality. With an Euphony system, or even JPlay server, I really can't see any point for going that extreme. My Euphony systems never sounded better than what they do now, with only 2 Xeon cores for server and another 2 for the Endpoint (4-core machines, no hyperthreading, no turbo boost, 2 cores suspended from BIOS, no VGA, no SATA/SAS). 8GB of RAM per machine.

Roon is another story. But again, if you want that much computational power, you can go for it. 

@Peter Avgeris It seems like you have no idea how much you are missing and how much better your digital source can be, but I don't have time or the desire to argue about this. If you are happy with your source that is all that matters. 

9 minutes ago, Peter Avgeris said:

Yes if you are located in Europe. No if you are in USA.

I don't want to be drawn into such a terrible trouble with all customs related issues for overseas shipments. For European affairs, yes, I can do it. It is a piece of cake, don't forget this!

Some members here (including me) can definitely use your mechanical engineering skills and take you on this offer. I suggest we start a new thread to discuss the options. There are a couple of people in Europe that already have the Sage motherboard and are looking for a passive cooling solution. I will refer them to the new thread. Perhaps someone can send you a motherboard, you can do a prototype, and we can do a group buy from you. Thank you for offering this. It's really good that someone can do a more professional heatsink than my ugly mockup. For those of us in the US, I am sure our European friends will help us. You can ship to them, and they can handle the rest (distribute to the US).

32 minutes ago, Peter Avgeris said:

I can provide you with any pieces you want, specially made for HDPlex chassis and Advanced Thermal Solutions 10mm copper heat pipes design, specially made for HDPlex chassis.

BTW, the Hdplex uses 6mm pipes. 

Industry disclosure: 

16 hours ago, Mr Morris said:

Can I ask a basic question? Apologies if it is answered elsewhere, but I have been inspired by this thread and put in an order to  Sean Jacobs! My question relates to the motherboard wiring. I was intending to wire all common voltage pins together, but notice you have not used them all. Is this because you are not using a SSD and so wiring the alternative separately? Thanks 

I have done it both ways. Some cheap ATX cables are so thin that two wires (plus and minus/ground) cannot provide the necessary current. Doubling those wires is quite necessary. If you use better (and thicker) wires, like the ones you see here, and your motherboard does not draw a lot of current, you don't need all. Having said that, running multiple wires to each voltage is a good idea. Go for it. 

All 3 voltages on the ATX combined together need less than 30W. That's why it did not really matter that much. If I was adding PCIe cards such as powerful video cards that need a lot of power, it would have been a different story. But the PCIe cards in this case are externally powered and there is nothing else connected to the motherboard (besides the small m.2 Optane card of course). The CPU/EPS is where most of the current draw happens. And I use all 8 wires there. 

Good luck with your build. Feel free to post some pictures and feedback here when done. I think most people reading this threat enjoy looking at other people's DIY builds. 

Industry disclosure: 

2 minutes ago, Mr Morris said:

I didn't realise that the grounds are all common. I wanted to keep them separate back to the caps. Or Do different ground pins correspond with particular voltages?

The entire ground plane is common on every motherboard I have seen. 

Industry disclosure: 

1 hour ago, novaca said:

Do you think that PH SR4(T)-19 (2A) for the HDplex 800W DC-ATX and PH SR5(T)-12 (6A) for CPU/EPS (Xeon E-2136) would suffice?
Or should (I have to) think of PH SR7? :(

38 Watts for the ATX and 72 Watts for the EPS would probably work.

Around 30W is what most of my motherboards needed to power up (that is 30W feeding the Hdplex 800W DC-ATX). 38W would not give you much headroom for things to power up through the motherboard (i.e. PCIe cards without external power supply, NVME storage, SATA devices, etc.). But it would work with most barebone motherboards from my experience. 

72W for the EPS would also probably work if you are not using a lot of processing power. But CPUs are very fast in current demand. Your average current may be something like 30-40W but CPUs tend to create those microburst of power demand that may be higher than double what this LPS can provide. While it would still work, you might be restricting the dynamics. I tend to go with heavily oversized power supplies, especially for the EPS, and that has always sounded better in my system. 

Industry disclosure: 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Cazzesman said:

I have been pondering various upgrades and replacements that could also be reused and future proof to some extent in a new PC build down the track.

Based on what I have read (correct me if I am wrong) I would think an improved USB card and LPS to power MB and USB card would be a good step forward.

My current set up is

System - CAPS (Lagoon) - WS2019 - Audiophile Optimizer v3.0 - Fidelizer 8.4pro -128 gig & 2tb SSD (Music storage) + Sotm USB exp card - Synology NAS DS416 Slim (Backup) - JRiver Ver 25 - USB Curious Cable (Aqvox LNPS each end) into Mutec USB 3+ reclocker into MiniDsp 22D (Dirac Live) via Canare 110 AES into Kii 3 speakers via Ortofon 110 AES, with Kii Controller.  All powered from 2000 VA IsoTran.

I currently have a Sotm PCIe exp USB Card in my CAPS Lagoon.    Is the replacement of the Sotm with the JCat XE usb card as easy as swapping one in and out of the MB. (with software tweaks)?

Also the Keces 8P looks like a good start.

With the USB signal currently being reclocked by the Mutec where do you expect the improvement to come from if the Sotm USB was changed out for the Jcat XE.    Is the Mutec just doing the same thing at the XE?

Any thoughts about a slow rebuild whereby the improvements can be carried on into a major rebuild?

Regards Cazzesman

I am afraid I won't be able to give you a good advice on gradual upgrade path, simply because I don't know some of the components in your system. 

Replacing the SOTM PCIe card with a JCAT USB XE card should be a very simple task. But then you are outputting USB from your computer, converting to AES with the the Mutec DDC, then going through another DDC (MiniDsp 22D), then going to the KII. 

What if you replace the SOTM and the Mutec with PinkFaun AES/EBU or SPDIF card? You will lose the ability to play DSD, and your PCM would be limited to 192 KHz, which is probably fine as I am guessing your miniDSP does not support that either. And that is if the Pink Faun card is even supported on your computer. I am not familiar with the CAPS (Lagoon) server and honestly I don't feel like I understand your system enough to be able to suggest gradual upgrades. Sorry, maybe other people can chime in. @bobfa has Kii speakers, but I don't know if he uses Dirac Live. 

There are two other AES options you may want to check (also check if they can fit in your server):

- Lynx AES16e
- RME HDSPe AES

In my system, I prefer the JCAT XE over the SOTM, by a big margin. But on the other hand, when SPDIF was my prefered output, the PinkFaun SPDIF card with ultraOCXO sounded better than any USB card + DDC I have tried. The problem is those PinkFaun cards don't work well with every CPU. 

Industry disclosure: 

4 minutes ago, ray-dude said:

The other wrinkle is Emile sharing that high quality clocks actually take away SQ in the Extreme (although he is understandably proprietary about his clock strategy).  He is definitely taking the road less traveled when it comes to power supplies and clocking.  

The guy has a lot of experience and knows what he is doing. Here is an example I don't think I have shared...

When I got the PinkFaun ultraOCXO clock for my motherboard, I received a board that looks exactly like the board used on the previous Taiko servers (SGM EVO). Was PinkFaun making the clock boards for Taiko? Or was Taiko making the clock boards for PinkFaun? :)

Either way, Emile must know a thing or two about clocks! And clocks work hand in hand with vibration treatment and power supplies. 

Industry disclosure: