IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

11 hours ago, vhs said:

Great Post, Nenon!

Sharing my build with you as shown in the pic below. 🙂

1138029732_RoonServerHDD.thumb.jpeg.319695593106bb08c99fe7114ffcf1a1.jpeg

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing. Can you share more details?

What clock are you using? I see some external grounding (an external grounding box?)? What is the red board? A relay? 

Thank you. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

36 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

What about this one?

https://www.fidelityaudio.co.uk/c4-reference-low-jitter-clock-1548-p.asp

Their signature model should be available in the next month or so.

https://www.fidelityaudio.co.uk/c5-signature-low-jitter-clock-4461-p.asp

This is out of my realm, so apologies in advance if they won't work for your application.

Thank you. Never tried them, but I have been following the development of the C5 and waiting to be released. Those don't look like OCXO clocks, but that does not mean they are bad. A well implemented TCXO clock could be a lot better than a bad implemented OCXO clock. My guess is their clock has worse specs than the PinkFaun ultraOCXO, but that does not mean much. 

The reality is how I will implement the clock would make a bigger impact than how good the clock is. I may get the best clock available, and if I feed it with bad power and use long wires, it may be even inferior to the crappy oscillator my motherboard uses, with overall worse result regardless of how much I have spent. 

But I am aiming to use the best clock I can and implement it to the best of my abilities. Unless the clock is on the PCB right next to the chip, it's always a compromise. 

Industry disclosure: 

30 minutes ago, adamaley said:

Which Pink Faun unltraOCXO clockspeed are folks selecting?

It depends on the application. The main clock on my AMD motherboard is 25MHz. It's 24MHz on my Intel motherboard. My I2S bridge uses the 24.576 MHz. The USB bridge uses a 20 MHz clock.

Industry disclosure: 

19 hours ago, gererick said:

The prior digital source going into my TotalDAC D1-Direct DAC was new on 10/13/19.  So the technology being replaced is almost brand new.  It is a two-box setup built for me by a CA contributor.  Power to the prior server was an HDPlex 200-watt LPS.  I will be putting this prior setup up for sale soon. It is no longer in use, though it was quite good.

The prior server and endpoint were designed to sound best with lower-power-use, with the philosophy that lower power consumption means less noise which means better sound.  The prior server had an 8 core AMD Ryzen 2 processor and a mini ITX mother board.  The prior endpoint had an Intel Core i7 8650U Quad-Core processor and motherboard.  The prior endpoint was powered by my Sean Jacobs supply at 19v.  It now powers Nenon’s server’s CPU, at 12v (voltage is easily adjustable on the SJ PS)

For a setup with high power consumption, power supplies are ostensibly in shorter supply with longer waiting times.  I don’t think the Sean Jacobs PS is in short supply and it is very, very good especially with the dual-regulation.

Roon software was moved to Nenon’s server.  I had the full Euphony software on the endpoint of the prior two boxes; it was also moved to Nenon’s server.  So Nenon’s server has both Roon and Euphony, and it is simple to switch back and forth.

My listening comparison is mainly with Roon playing on the prior server and Euphony on its endpoint, versus Euphony Stylus playing on Nenon’s server.  My friend Bob and I also listened to Nenon’s server with Roon Core and StylusEP for an apples-to-apples comparison (same software on different hardware), which I’ll summarize later.

The comparison was not a quick A/B, because the Nenon’s server and power supply needed break-in, as did all of the cables.  They probably have 300 hours+ of burn-in now.  The Pink Faun USB card with the ultra OCXO clock has considerably less break-in than this, as it had a soldering issue near the DC jack that Nenon easily fixed.

The comparison is not a straight two-box to one-box comparison.  For example, Nenon’s server has Mundorf silver/gold wire inside the server, in the DC cables, and in Nenon’s power supply, built from Sean-Jacobs-supplied components.  Nenon’s server has six DC inputs and wires, five coming from

Sean Jacobs / Nenon equipment, and they were all JSSG360’d, while the prior server was supplied by an HDPlex via stock DC cables, not JSSG360’d.  I don’t think the HDPlex PS is dual regulated (not sure), but the four outputs from Nenon’s / Sean Jacobs PS are dual regulated, as is the SJ PS that powered my endpoint which is now powering the Intel i9-9900K.  My network card is powered by an LPS 1.2.

My prior server had a 19v input, plus a 12v input for the CPU.  The 19v input went inside the prior server to the HDPlex DC-ATX, which then converted the 19v to 3.3, 5 and 12v, I believe.  This converter is a $62.50 part.  Soon after the prior server was installed, I contacted Nenon about his surplus power supply that he’d built from SJ components (he had advertised it for sale), because I thought it made more sense to have the conversion done outside of the server, which then led me even further than that to having Nenon replace everything I had just bought.  Crazy stuff, but it worked out extraordinarily well in the end, and I am extraordinarily pleased with the final result.

Between my two prior boxes, I had a long run of Cardas ethernet cable.  That is gone in a one-box setup.  Between the prior endpoint and my DAC, I had two Lush^2 cables, an Uptone adapter, an ISO Regen, and an upgraded SOTM Tx-USB Ultra (and two LPS 1.2’s).  The SOTM was being master clocked by a Mutec Ref 10.  Now the only thing between my server and DAC is a 0.3 meter Lush^2.

With Nenon’s server, the Pink Faun USB card with the ultra OCXO clock and the SJ PS makes the aforementioned unnecessary, and I will be selling all but one of the two Lush^2 cables.

I am somewhat hearing impaired, so I can’t hear high frequencies well.  I asked my friend Bob over, so the below is mainly his description that I agree with.  We heard the same things, but it seems appropriate to have a second pair of ears given my hearing.

When Bob listened a few weeks ago, he said the system now sounded like vinyl but maybe needed to burn in as it was lacking in the bass region (which I agreed with).  It turned out to indeed need to burn in.

Yesterday, Bob and I listened again.  We didn’t listen for long, and only listened to two parts of two tracks.  The first was the first couple of minutes of Hotel California on Hell Freezes Over (live) with much of the listening focus on the bass drums.  The second was Warren Zevon’s Please Stay, from his last album/CD, The Wind.

These were Bob’s words, to the extent I could keep up with my pen.

Sounds really nice.

Really sounds lovely.

Sounds more fleshed out. 

More micro detail.

More decay.

More texture of the drums.

More accurate.

More natural.

Very organic.

Very natural.

Non-digital.  You do not get that flatness.  It sounds like real, live music.

I mean, you got a winner.

The bass does not have as much weight or emphasis, but it sounds more accurate.

Then we played the same portion of the same track using Roon Core + StylusEP.  Again, Bob’s words, and again, which I again agree with.

More digital / harsher / more etched.

With Euphony Stylus, it sounds like somebody singing.

With Euphony Stylus, you were just listening, you weren’t coming up with stuff.

Roon is a little more forward with the bass drums.

The drums are louder, and heavier, but you are losing the micro detail.

Roon does have a little bit more of an impact.

But it doesn’t have the same depth, resonance or decay.

Roon is flatter, it doesn’t have the fullness.  It’s flatter sounding.

It is my understanding, in speaking with Nenon, that Euphony Stylus performs better in a high-power situation, i.e. a processor that uses a lot of power.  I have read some posts where listeners like the way Stylus sounds, but they stick with Roon because it is a better user interface.  On Nenon’s server, you can throw the ‘user interface’ preference wherever.  It just sounds far better on Euphony Stylus, far far better.  It is not close.  

Then we listened to Please Stay, as discussed above.  Again Bob’s words, which again I agree with.

Very natural. 

Everything sounds natural especially the voices.

I then discussed the parts of the song when Emmylou Harris comes in to join Warren for the chorus.  On the prior setup, it was still mostly Warren singing those parts; you could barely make out Emmylou’s voice even being present.  Now, her presence is not only distinct from his, it is just as loud as his – there is no difficulty hearing her whatsoever.  And it makes the song much more beautiful (not just that item, but that item really stood out versus the prior setup).  This was my observation, with Bob agreeing with me.  Bob replied that before, you could barely distinguish the background singer, now there is a distinct female background singer.  It sounds totally different, much more like it should sound.

I live in the NY area between the Bronx and Connecticut, and have hosted a couple of Westchester Audiophile Society gatherings.  Perhaps in connection with one of those, I can do another hosting which would include some folks from this site.  I am not sure how to do that safely (strangers and all), but feel free to PM me if you might be interested.  I am close to an I95 exit.

Below is a picture of my setup.  Nenon's builds are shoved toward the back of the rack because the DC cables are short.  The Sean Jacobs power supply for the CPU is next to Nenon's server on the second shelf with the blue light.  Both Sean Jacobs power supplies are plugged into a Topaz isolation transformer with .0005 pf interwinding capacitance, and that isolation transformer is plugged into a long Tripp Lite power strip that everything else is plugged into, and that power strip draws power from another .0005 pf Elgin transformer.  As I understand it from the mains isolation transformer thread, each of these has 146 dB of common mode noise reduction, so the SJ power supplies are getting clean power, and they cost only a few hundred (or less) on eBay.  The Tripp Lite also has a High Fidelity Cables MC-1 Pro Helix Plus plugged into it, and a Prana Wire Ruby grounding plane hard wired to it..   

system 1.jpg

system 2.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to write this review @gererick. I am glad you like the overall result. Give it another 3 months, and it would open up even more. Everything is still burning in and as you have already noticed it keeps improving. The big Mundorf caps, the big toroidal, the OCXO clock, and the silver/gold wires in teflon all take good couple of months to break in. This computer will shine at its best around around mid-April.

Industry disclosure: 

Given that you have a pretty powerful CPU, the 4A the SR4 provides might be better on the JCAT. Your CPU would benefit from a power supply with more headroom. But the SR4 specs say that it supports 20A transient... so it may work fine on the CPU as well. You will have to experiment.

Also, it's hard to comment on a single piece / parameter in a bubble. The power supply strategy is something that in my opinion needs to be planned before you start building the PC. It's the foundation and the single most important component of a music server. What would you be powering up the JCAT USB with if you use the SR4 for the CPU? And what would you be powering up the CPU with if you use the SR4 for the JCAT USB?

Industry disclosure: 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

Very nice Nenon - thanks for the details.  Did you try a listen with just the JCAT cards prior to the motherboard clock install?  Just interested in sound quality improvements vs investment ratio.

I got the JCAT after the clock upgrade, so no, I did not. In terms of sound quality improvements vs investment ratio I would start by getting the JCAT USB XE card first. And then upgrade the motherboard clock. One does not replace the other; they are additive upgrades. 

Industry disclosure: 

1 minute ago, Dev said:

motherboards still will have switching regulators even if you power it from the ATX, for example, RAM needs 1.2v or 1.5v or 1.6v which isn't part of ATX. There are other components which works on less than 3.3v for which it needs step-down regulators on the motherboard itself. 

No question about that. 

Industry disclosure: 

39 minutes ago, beautiful music said:

That's good to know that you finished your Xeon build🤩.

Curious to know what is your CPU isolation settings for those double Xeon processors.

Finished? No. That build will take a few months to finish. I won't be done for a while. There is so many challenges! 

Industry disclosure: 

55 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

Thanks Nenon - looks like a 7700k (With TDP limit set?) would be best for me then.

Of course, the mainstream is that ITX and almost all m-ATX boards come with a dedicated 12V CPU connection that must be powered for the CPU to boot.  I’m just trying to get a handle on the technical reasoning why the multi rail approach reportedly sounds better, compared to a single very good quality power supply feeding a smaller ITX board that has only a DC jack or (slightly better) a 4 pin Molex onboard.  I am talking about powering the CPU only here, of course I understand that step down converters are required onboard motherboards with single voltage DC input to produce 5/3.3V (but won’t matter as much if your powering network and USB cards directly with their own dedicated linear power).

Would be logical that motherboard that accept a single DC range say 12-19V would be at a disadvantage due to some step down conversation required on the motherboard.  My NUC sounds pretty great - but I’ve never experimented with multi rail.

Isolating components with their own rails just sounds better. Components generate noise that contaminate the power. And if you are using one rail only, every component would suffer from the noise the other components generate. That's the simplest logical explanation. There is a lot more into it, though. The NUC sounds good but the builds in this thread are on a completely different level. 

Industry disclosure: 

EDIT: I was asked in a private message and posted here by accident. Here is the question:

If I want to put together a build with a full size ATX motherboard but only 1 processor (I want 3 PCI slots for USB, network and optane storage) and I wasn't rulling HQPlayer, what motherboard and CPU would you recommend?  I think I would like to get all my music inside the box instead of having it on a NAS and my Supermicro mobo with Xeon only has 2 slots.

My answer that I mistakenly posted here can be seen below. The context is a full size ATX motherboard. 

This is my best ATX build so far: 

On 4/15/2020 at 1:56 AM, Nenon said:

My new build is:

- ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero full size ATX motherboard 

- AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU

- Apacer ECC RAM

- Upgraded motherboard clock with PinkFaun ultraOCXO clock

- The new JCAT XE USB card

- JCAT NET Femto card

- PinkFaun I2S Bridge with ultraOCXO clock

- Optane card for the OS

- HDPlex H5 Case

- HDPlex 800W DC to DC ATX Convertor

- Gaia feet

- Mundorf Silver Gold DC wire all around

- Euphony OS

IMG_2982.thumb.jpg.149c965ce588dff540555e5569529fb9.jpg

I made that carbon fiber plate with two connectors that I quite like. One connector goes to the CPU / EPS and the other to the HDPlex.

IMG_2986.jpg.e51f18a6cfd93ee388cf6f68b2f0ac56.jpg

On the other side I just drilled a hole on the plate and installed a connector to power the OCXO clock. I will be adding a grounding post this weekend as well. 

IMG_2989.jpg.22fe70172a4c85c066e1fba4062dd313.jpg

And of course vibration isolation with Gaia feet:

IMG_2995.jpg.fc4113b7a00f3778ee41399bd6bfd469.jpg

There were three big questions I wanted to answer with this build.

I will be honest with you and tell you upfront that I did not spend enough time to apply the typical systematic approach of testing. Here is why - I am doing this as a hobby and when I hear that something I did convincingly sounds better, I am not interested to go back and forth and study how much better it sounds. I wish I spent a little more time with each small change, but I had too many thing going on. 

Let's start with the motherboard. Does it sound better than the mini-ITX motherboard? Yes, it does. But I don't think we should make the conclusion that every full size ATX motherboard sounds better than its mini-ITX sibling. That's not true, and I have seen the opposite. But this particular ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero sounds a little better than the ASUS ROG Strix X470-I Gaming mini-ITX motherboard. Not much better, just a little. 

After adding the PinkFaun ultraOCXO clock, this motherboard sounded much better than the mini-ITX model. Not all OCXO clock upgrades are up to my taste. They all seem to help with details, but some of them make the sound too sterile, too clinical, even lean in some cases. That's kind of what I expected by replacing this motherboard clock. But my expectations were wrong, and I was pleasantly surprised. The effect was quite different than what I thought. The first thing I noticed was a lot of air between the instruments. There was also more layers, more depth, and the bass became tighter and more real. It was immediately noticeable, but after a week I decided to go back to the stock motherboard clock just to double check. I did not listen for long with the stock clock. It was all confirmed immediately and I switched back to the ultraOCXO clock. Another thing I noticed was that the PinkFaun ultraOCXO clock improved a lot the USB output of the motherboard. Especially the USB ports that are connected to the chipset sounded a lot better with the clock. I think for the first time I actually preferred the USB ports that go through the chipset than the ones that don't. But ultimately I preferred the new JCAT USB XE card. More on that later. One little detail - this clock requires really good and clean power. The cleaner, the better. And good DC wires. My Mundorf silver/gold DC cables came to rescue again. 

Having said all that, it's hard for me to answer the second question. 

I don't know. It's a different motherboard with ultraOCXO clock. It definitely sounds better, but how much of that has to do with the fact that I did not have to use a PCIe extension cable, and how much was due to the different hardware? I have no idea. 

I was also wondering how the passive cooling on the HDPlex H5 chassis compares with the Streacom. I was thinking to install two identical motherboards and run some tests to see how efficient in heat dissipation each case was. Well, I will leave that test to someone else. A lot of IT youtubers out there do those experiments. I just don't have the time. 

But I think it's obvious that the HDPlex H5 passive cooling is much better. Streacom on the left, HDPlex on the right:

IMG_2999.thumb.jpg.d48388dbf495079aa8c8a59934fac6db.jpg

Streacom has 4 copper pipes. HDPlex has 8 copper pipes. Streacom has a tiny aluminum mounting plate. HDPlex has a massive copper piece with a big aluminum heatsink going on top. Streacom's pipes are flattened and they lose performance this way. HDPlex are not and go inside groves in the heatsink. And the HDPlex heatsinks on the chassis are bigger, at least compared to the Streacom FC9. Plus the HDPlex supports full size ATX motherboard with vertical PCIe cards and no risers.

The only things I hate about the HDPlex is that you need to remove the entire backplate to install PCIe cards. Maybe it's convenient for one card, but try doing 4 PCIe cards at the same time when you also have 3 DC connectors with soldered wires on the plate... not fun! But some people think that's the best thing about this case. I won't repeat the conversation that happened previously in this thread regarding that. Between the two cases, my preference is the HDPlex case now, but that's mainly because of the full size ATX support. The HDPlex has thinner bottom and top covers - that's not good for vibration treatment. 

Okay, what's next? JCAT USB XE Card. It's really good and keeps getting better and better over time. I really like it, and it's an easy recommendation. I can't tell how it compares with the PinkFaun USB bridge with ultraOCXO clock, but (besides the PF) I can tell you that it's better than any other USB card I have tried. It would be interesting to do an A/B comparison between the PinkFaun with ultraOCXO and the JCAT card.  

Let me touch on CPU choices a little bit. Emile from Taiko has done an extensive research on CPUs and shared some of his results on another forum. My understanding is that he has tried pretty much every CPU he thought might have a chance no matter the price. And interestingly enough he did not like the sound coming out of the AMD CPUs he tried. Romaz also built a computer with an AMD Ryzen 9 that has 105W TDP in a Streacom FC9 chassis. I don't think the Streacom chassis is up to the task to cool down a 105W TDP CPU. At that point you need to start reducing the voltage / speed on the CPU just to keep it cool enough. That in my opinion diminishes the sound quality. And even when my chassis get somewhat hot, I can hear degraded sound. The HDPlex is a better choice, but as far as AMD CPUs go I don't think we can go higher that the 65W TDP of the AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU I am using. 

Emile is a genius. We all know that. And it seems like he has resources we can only dream about. But I feel like it's difficult to compare CPUs and have a definitive conclusion about the sound of each CPU. Is it possible that the same CPU sounds very different in his system with his power supply and his choice of motherboard with his tweaked operating system than it sounds in my system with my power supply and my choice of motherboard and completely different operating system? I think the answer to that question is yes. Not only it is very possible, but it's also very likely. I really like the way this new server turned out. It's better than my previous AMD build, which I quite liked. It might be better them my previous Intel builds. It certainly sounds different and probably different people would have different preferences. 

But regardless of that, Emile's test sharing is very useful. Ultimately, there is only one way to find out, so here it is:

IMG_2974.thumb.jpg.8fed614781831df9d46c1883846bd03b.jpg

This is the ASUS WS C621E Sage Extreme motherboard with two Intel XEON SILVER 4210 CPUs that the Taiko Extreme uses inside an HDPlex case. It would be interesting to complete this build and compare with my other builds. Granted, I won't have the million small tweaks Emile has put in the Extreme, but I will apply all the stuff I have learned during my builds. Not trying to reach the Extreme but just to explore another route. I have a custom order Apacer RDIMM RAM coming in several weeks. Between now and then there is a lot of challenges I need to overcome. Don't ask me how I am going to passively cool down those CPUs for example. I don't know. There is no adaptor for the fclga3647 socket in the HDPlex or Streacom kits. I will have to build my own. I have several different Dynatron coolers coming my way as well as various cooling pipes and a pipe bending tool. Ideally, the CPU that is closer to the front of the chassis would be cooled by the left heatsink and the second CPU would be cooled by the right heatsink. That would be a heck of a project. 

Read more  

I think that the choice of motherboard/CPU @StreamFidelity has picked for his latest build is also good if you want to go with a consumer Intel CPU.

And I think the Sage motherboard and dual Xeons would be better than all of them. But so challenging... 

Industry disclosure: 

9 hours ago, RickyV said:

What about or has anyone used the i7-7700K CPU which according to taiko was a very good sounding CPU but they stopped with it because intel discontinued it. But I think you can still buy it.

I have learned to check everything that comes from this company about music servers. It's probably worth trying. But I am aiming higher with the dual Xeons now. 

Industry disclosure: 

21 minutes ago, Downtheline said:

How does optane work on this motherboard? Still low latency for os?

It works as a regular NVME storage for the OS. The OS loads to RAM on boot. So there is very little / almost no I/O after the OS is loaded. The common believe why this particular Optane card sounds so good is because it consumes very little power while idle... and most likely that generates less noise.

Industry disclosure: