IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

1 hour ago, One and a half said:

Here's a low noise design, but it's only a guide to illustrate the purpose, the voltages and currents are incorrect for ATX use. 30,000uF is substantial for power delivery, must say, not much would get through that.

image.png.db2c52cf16a43d5d2cf2fca723395b5a.png

When the load is connected across +VA and -VA, the voltage is 26V (not zero). +13V is measured at the + and PGND1 and -13V also at PGND1.

PGND1 is connected further back at the transformer to earth (ground) PE conductor (AC 12V C.T.) 

Depending on cable lengths, say 300mm or more, the load side PGND1 needs a separate wire back to the transformer earth point.

To ensure the noise cancellation works effectively, the + and - voltages need to be trimmed so they are they the same. I would expect 1mV or less would be achievable especially with lead sensing. AC transformers can balance to within 2% and work effectively at these parameters.

so for the computer environment, the ground of the PC will be connected to the -6V, -2.5v and -1.65v? ... I am not sure if multiple rails can be connected this way ...

there are many ways to deal with ripple noise in DC... this balanced supply theory looks like more complicated than necessary just to deal with noise...and the output impedance would be added up by the use of multiple transistors 

Builder of Linear Power Supplies

1 hour ago, Nenon said:

Very cool! And very brave of you to mod the Optane card. I hope it worked from the first time. Most people spend less on their entire music server than the cost of that card.

Power supply mod is relatively easy

What i will do in the next build is clock mod to the Optane, which is a lot more technically challenging, as the works area is very tiny, so ...

very good eyes and steady hands are required... I do not recommend non-skillful DIYer to attempt it 

(Picture with the XO, caps and resistors removed)

1937951922_WhatsAppImage2020-11-08at1_43_26PM.thumb.jpeg.c0a0f733a40b8ac9fab2406dbfd4dba5.jpeg

Made a trial... it worked after several attempts

2067751480_WhatsAppImage2020-11-08at1_42_43PM.thumb.jpeg.56ee0985fe2bbebbd7f4c33740208463.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Nenon said:

I was not planning to spend a lot on switches either, and look at me now with not just one but two PF Buffalo switches :)). Addictive stuff... 

Same here... my next project will be Buffalo switch with full linear PSU and linear regulators

should be ready in two weeks =)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
19 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

I was also wondering how a 5mH choke would do anything serious, my tube amp has a custom 400H (@100mA) HiB core choke weighing a ton , of course that PSU uses far less capacitance than this PSU due to the mercury filled tube rectifiers but still.

5mH choke for 10A current is not bad already

14 minutes ago, RickyV said:

Okay this not a tube amplifier but a server it does not hum. What would the continuous current draw of the server be? I don’t think it’s 5 or 10 A continuous. That’s where I think the big capacitors come in, to deliver the spiky current draw of a server.
On a side note the Taiko uses a Lundahl choke not sure what it’s current rating is.

Yes...the server does not draw that much current constantly...but I think nobody would accept a PSU / hifi equipment rattles intermittently (during necessary loading times)

When designing a PSU, always consider the max load, otherwise reliability issue will arise

SGMS Extreme is only using capacitor input filter on the PSU.... so the requirement / spec on the choke is much relaxed

• 2 months later...