IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

22 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

They are nice looking units but perhaps not very well suited to powering a quality DC ATX. The PSU's spec's show droop rate performance under load and in particular the ripple and noise specs would be a concern. And there can also be combined noise issues with  an SMPS followed by DC ATX buck conversion.

The specs on the supply linked show:

Droop Rate (-xDx-R suffix) 50 mv/A
Ripple & Noise 400 mv

(Both for the 28v version).

They are big figures for feeding a DC ATX in a server that's focused on sound quality.

I spent quite some time a few years ago looking for a SMPS solution to power DC ATXs. There would be much going for such a setup if it could produce really good sound. None that I looked at worked well feeding DC ATX's for sound quality however. The problem came down to having two unlinked switching controllers, one in the SMPS and a second buck controller for each rail of the DC ATX that followed. Both of stages vary switching frequency and or duty cycle as they see fit to track the current load being consumed by the PC. The result for the combinations looked at was mess of noise both on the input to the DC ATX and on it's output. On the DC ATX outputs there was a combination of the harmonics of the switching frequencies of both stages. Never manged to get a nice sound from the combinations tried.

If you can, perhaps stay with regulated linear or passive filtered power. It's a well trodden path but for good reason.

Something with droop under load in the very low mv/A range and combined noise plus ripple of <5mv. Transient response isn't quoted for the linked PSU but if it is published for another supply a <100us recovery time for a transient of 5 amps would be a decent place to start.

OAudio Ltd.

OAudio Supreme - music server.

OAudio RealStream - digital audio components.

3 hours ago, AME said:

Looks great,

I am however curious which USB chipset will be used. I understood that it will not be using the ASM 3142.

Looks very much like it uses the same host controller I also alighted on when screening available chipsets, the μPD720202. 

OAudio Ltd.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, matthias said:

Hi Matt,

I am defiantly familiar with these two posts, I spotted them some time ago and to be honest they contributed to why I said this.

9 hours ago, OAudio said:

Important to remember first that there isn't anything mystical about c621 boards, they are just incrementally slightly larger then previous Xeon architectures. Threads on other web sites make it sound complex but they are just computer PCBs. These boards have finite and quantifiable load requirements.

There are some interesting points made in these two links but there a few tangents and assumptions that appear to be there, in order to make the argument that linear supplies can not supply the current levels needed by a music server without descending into mush :-).

This explanation is lifted below for instance which is just a nonsense argument. The math is correct, but no one would be stupid enough to apply a linear supply technology to supply 100 watts at CPU core voltage of 1volts ! Its irrelevant to any real world power solution for a music server (certainly one based on any commercially available motherboard). Nobody will every [be able to] try this for a simple reason. Motherboards have and will "always" use buck technology to step down their external supply rail voltages to the high current low voltages supplied that enable high frequency power efficient chip designs. They are required to meet industry efficiency standards and the drive in data centres to reduce power consumption puts further competitive pressure on motherboard, chipset and processors designs to do this. However the point and all the numbers quoted are then used to underline a notion that linear supplies simply cannot meet the high current demands and perform to the specifications needed for class leading sound quality. Just not the case.....

"As an extreme example, let's look at powering a CPU. A CPU typically operates at 0.6-1.2 volts but can easily draw 100 watts or more, let's assume 1 volt for easier calculations. For 100 watts at 1V you are talking about 100 Amps(!) of current. As current drops voltage over resistance (Ohm's law), a CPU is typically supplied with a 12V voltage rail, so we need to regulate 12V down to 1V. If you would use linear regulation, and you'd have a 100 Amp current draw at 1V, you would also have a 100 Amp current draw at 12V (simplified), meaning 12V*100A=1200 watts. Then we need to feed this 12V by a 16-19V supply (again to account for voltage drop caused by current over resistance), let's assume 19V as that's a very common value to ensure broad compatibility, and we are talking 19V*100A=a shocking 1900 watts. The conversion efficiency here would be ~5%, the other 95% will just be converted to heat. A switch mode regulator is the inverse of this, it can regulate 19V down to 1V at a 95% efficiency wasting only 5% as heat. That is a 1900W versus 105W of power consumption."

Buck and linear designs both have their challenges. They need engineered solutions to manage their respective design hot spots but for my these two posts far too quickly quickly adopt the message linear + high current = guaranteed noise and buck can perform better despite their many many challenges. 

Put and H probe anywhere near any DC ATX and it just sings with emissions. Even more relevant put a scope or analyser on its output and look at the characteristic of the switching noise breakthrough. Both these tests should really be done in a meaning full way, by which I mean whilst driving the intended load, a mother board's power rails. These spit back wide band RF and transients into the supply in question. Its really down to how a supply of any technology behaves under this condition (not necessarily in to a constant bench load) that will determine what the sound quality will be.  

I wanted to link another post, but just could not find the particular post in the long thread. In it linear and buck conversion are again being compared in the same vain. Some FFTs are posted for an example buck supply and linear supply. The buck predictably looks like it performs well al least under constant load and this is attributed in part to an unusually high frequency switch loop in the design (I am familiar with the device I think is being used which switches around 2MHz). The FFT of the linear supply that is provided in the post is however dreadful. I would hang my head in shame if a linear with that spectral content were being used in a supply here in the modules I make and these will supply 24 amps per rail and give the electrical characteristics I have mentioned in earlier posts in this thread.

The point is for me is that the posts maybe not be intentionally loaded to paint buck technology as the logic conclusion to the design decisions that have to be made, but I cannot follow the arguments and logic stated and accept that linear supplies are an inferior choice. I have some direct experience but to those that don't it all looks and sounds very complicated and credible. 

OAudio

OAudio Ltd.

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Nenon said:

The unregulated LPS I am currently using has about 1.4mOhm output impedance (it also has about 5uV ripple).

@Nenon 

Wow, 5uV = ~-135db of rejection ( assuming a ~30v rail ) ! 

I have been playing along in the background for a while using simulations of an unregulated supply based on the component choices in your earlier posts. With components listed and tweaking components parameters to near ideal performance levels its hard to get <3mv pk - pk @ 1 amp constant load.    

5uV is exceptional. Can I ask how you measuring the ripple and and under what test conditions ?

Thanks. 

OAudio Ltd.

On 5/7/2021 at 6:46 PM, Nenon said:
On 5/7/2021 at 4:14 PM, OAudio said:

@Nenon 

Wow, 5uV = ~-135db of rejection ( assuming a ~30v rail ) ! 

I have been playing along in the background for a while using simulations of an unregulated supply based on the component choices in your earlier posts. With components listed and tweaking components parameters to near ideal performance levels its hard to get <3mv pk - pk @ 1 amp constant load.    

5uV is exceptional. Can I ask how you measuring the ripple and and under what test conditions ?

Thanks. 

Expand  

Have you tried simulating the dual choke CLCLC configuration? 

I had not spotted the move to CLCLC. Modelling that configuration closes the gap somewhat :-)   

OAudio Ltd.