IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

2 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

Anyone with thoughts on grounding strategy? I plan to use a star ground, so one wire from each cap (as short as possible) to one common point, likely the rectifier and I leave the chassis ungrounded as it will not be metal. Yet then comes the Taiko ATX (for which I have not seen any design spec)...

Starground works great. Thick copper busbars too. Think about lowering the impedance as much as possible while building it. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

8 hours ago, derBen said:

Hi,

I just finished my second DIY Audiio Server and I would like to share some impressions.

I'm running a Aaeon Mini-ITX board with 16GB Apacer Ram, a 250GB Samsung 980Pro M.2 SSD and a Intel i7 9700T CPU.

For the connections I use JCAT FEMTO cards: USB and NET.

The operating system is Euphony OS running ROON.

The server is built into two cases:

- One external PSU regulating 16V + 16V + 9V + 7V from a custom 400 VA toroid

- The main case containing the local PSU (regulating 12V + 12V + 5V + 3,3V) and the computer components

Both cases have the same shape and dimensions, only the button in the front is missing in the PSU case.

What dio you think?

Ben

IMG_20210319_104125.jpg

IMG_20210319_104134.jpg

IMG_20210325_165242.jpg

IMG_20210526_215201.jpg

IMG_20210527_120538.jpg

IMG_20210911_094311.jpg

IMG_20210911_095651.jpg

IMG_20210911_095751.jpg

IMG_20210914_151138.jpg

IMG_20210914_151208.jpg

IMG_20210914_151605.jpg

IMG_20210914_151711.jpg

IMG_20210914_151739.jpg

Very cool design. Better than many commercial products. 

Have you considered making it a commercial product? 

Industry disclosure: 

8 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

anyone here who added some capacitance after the ATX? 

IMO, this is a bad idea. 

You will get the best results by keeping the Taiko ATX close to the motherboard with short cables and utilizing all Molex PINs (46 in my case) with 16 AWG wire.

8 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

I am hard pressed to pick another route than 'tinker to the max'

Bigger is not always better. Not in this case at least.

I saw the biggest Toroidal in the Taiko's parts room. It was several thousand VAs! Should have taken a photo of it. There is a good reason it's sitting in that room and not on the Extreme. 

But if you believe you will max out the design with 800VA toroidal, give it a try. I've tried it already. 

8 hours ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

Going from 60,000uf to 165,000uf (both Mundorf AG) has proven to be a dramatic difference with the audio grade SMPS I helped put together, and its not even been a week yet (still breaking in).  Much extended (subsonic) bass response at even normal listening levels, with transient response (including gut wrenching impact) stepped up quite a notch in the process. 

For sure. But there is a point at which things start to sound not so good. That point with the v3 ULPS is probably around 300,000 uF. BTW, speaking of deep bass - try the Mundorf HC equivalent capacitance. 

7 hours ago, Audiomaster said:

I think that it was not in vain that Taiko installed such an array of capacitors in the last ripple smoothing cascade C5 - C16 - 564000 mKf. As my experience in other DIY designs shows, the large amount of energy in the capacitors makes the sound bigger and more dynamic.

DIY-Taico-3.jpeg

Just pointing out that this is NOT the Taiko schematics (confirmed by Emile). Let's not refer to this diagram as the Taiko Extreme as people might get confused. However, we do know from the pictures that the Extreme uses a lot of capacitance.

As I mentioned here, we would need more capacitance with other chokes:

On 9/13/2021 at 10:20 AM, Nenon said:

For those who want to play with the Hammond 195J10 or the even bigger Hammond 195K12 choke, here is what you need to do:

• 22000uF - Hammond 195J10 - 22000uF - Hammond 195J10 - 220000uF; or
  • 22000uF - Hammond 195K12 - 22000uF - Hammond 195K12 - 330000uF

Industry disclosure: 

14 hours ago, Soul Analogue said:

I have been repeatedly saying my design is NOT a choke input ULPS...

Sorry about that @Soul Analogue. I was mislead by some of your comments, such as:

On 8/16/2021 at 7:38 AM, Soul Analogue said:

In my diy venture… i first started with cap input… and later tried on choke input and could never go back….so L input for me as far as practicable

On 8/15/2021 at 10:02 PM, Soul Analogue said:

I am also into Choke input PSU..

Noted that it's not a choke input ULPS. Good to know that. 

Industry disclosure: 

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

Just came back from the Berlin Audio Meet, where my prototype met these beauties

IMG-20211007-WA0002.jpeg

Nice horns. For some reason I can't picture them with digital source and imagine a nice vinyl-based source with them :).

How did your server sound there? 

I am excited for you yo try ULPS + Taiko ATX power supply... 

Industry disclosure: 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, fds said:

Hm, once arrived at that point, I find it hard to understand the decision to sell this device ... except maybe if one knows that a DAVE2 is soon to come or if one has experienced a better performer (Tambaqui?) ... or if one wants to go towards the multichannel road for better digital room correction.

To my knowledge, there is no DAVE 2, and Chord Electronics is not even working on one. If anyone has more updated info, please share.

Also, to my ears the Tambaqui is far behind the DAVE the way I've implemented it. If I was to categorize them, the Tambaqui would be a mid-fi component while the DAVE would be a top hi-fi component. Again, I am not referring to the stock DAVE... the stock DAVE is worse than the Tambaqui... I am referring to the DAVE with ARC6 DC4, SRC.DX, fed by a server of the level of Taiko Extreme, playing PGGB files, and using really good cables. 

No multichannel road for me. While DSP is a good way to fix problems with cheaper components, it has its own drawbacks in a really good, fine tuned, big system. The only acceptable way for digital room correction in my system is if it's done through PGGB and just touching the low frequency. YMMV. Please refer to this post:

On 6/20/2021 at 4:37 PM, romaz said:

PGGB - EQ / Room Correction Edition

Here is the listening room I wish I had:

No photo description available.

This is the Magico listening room in Hayward, California.  This room reportedly cost $250,000 to build.  It measures 33' x 22' x 13'.  It is a room within a room.  The outside walls are 5" thick Quiet Rock.  The inside walls are composed of 2 layers of sheet rock.  The floor floats meaning it has no interaction with the rest of the room.  The room was designed to have minimum gain and a noise floor of only 24dB.  According to Alon Wolf, Magico's founder, "It's very easy to measure a speaker above 800Hz, regardless of the room it's in. Below that, it gets tricky. Hence, the environment in which you listen to and test your loudspeakers is crucial...So I've taken the room out of the equation. In this room, you hear the bass from the speaker alone, not from the interaction of the speaker with the room. This helps us voice loudspeakers more accurately." 

I have enjoyed listening to music in this room on a few occasions and regardless of the speakers and the electronics that were in the room that day, each time, I came away feeling deeply envious.  If I could use one word to describe it, it would be "balanced."  Not too lively and not too dead and everything sounds natural.  Ambience, imaging, clarity, natural decay, this room portrayed it all.  It has been said that your room is your most important component.  After listening to music in this room, I've become a believer.

Here are photos of my actual listening room:

image.thumb.png.ebe509fdc217c95e41eb5f160618800d.png

image.thumb.png.38d25252b8a3d4f0082ae6b057f55ec9.png

image.thumb.png.d642850b2e3cce33784f69ee0d32c892.png

Yes, I know, lots of problems.  As you can see, it's not a dedicated listening room.  Aside from my Wilson Alexia Series 2 speakers, I'm not allowed to have any audio electronics showing.  I've tried various room treatments from bass traps to various diffusers and absorbers but they kill the look of the room and so with a few exceptions (Synergistic Black Box and a few HFTs and other resonators), I live with the speaker placement restrictions that I have and the natural resonances of this room.  Fortunately, despite my limitations, at my listening position, my room measures pretty smoothly with no horrendous peaks and valleys and listening to music in this room has been very enjoyable.  

But each time I experience a really good sounding room (like the Magico or the Taiko Audio listening room), I can't help but want to make improvements and so on more than a few occasions, I've dabbled in room correction or DSP.  I've tried products from Denon (Audyssey), Lyngdorf, and DEQX.  I've brought in speakers that incorporated DSP like the Kii Three.  These solutions did not work for me.  I had my room measured and I enlisted the services of highly respected people like Uli Brueggemann and Mitch Barnett.  I can't say enough good things about these individuals and the services they provide.  They clearly know their craft and were very pleasant and enjoyable to interact with.  I learned a lot about minimum and linear phase filters from Mitch and after much trial and error, I settled on a group of mixed phase filters that I felt were generally to my liking.  The problem with these filters, ultimately, was transparency.  They did some good things but also did some not so good things and so there was always some tradeoff.  I also found that some filters sounded good with some tracks and horrible with other tracks and so this bothered me.  For example, my preferred mixed phase filter did a nice job smoothing the bass with a certain bass-heavy track from Fink or Daft Punk but with Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, as the cannons go off at the end, instead of an explosion, all you hear is a compression.  A dud.  Ugh.  Simply horrible.  With time, I found myself not using any of my room correction filters because implementing them for some tracks and removing them for others was more trouble than it was worth.  I figured that room correction technology, while good for movies and certain types of amplified music was not so great for the natural expression of unamplified acoustical instruments and this is what I listen to the most.  What was especially missing were natural extension, depth, and decay.  

For some time, I've been aware of @Zaphod Beeblebrox's background and interest in EQ and room correction.  On several occasions, he's encouraged me to give it another try because he felt he could more properly implement it within PGGB.  Based on my disappointment with previous experiences, I didn't prioritize it very highly but eventually I got around to giving it a try.  Because of how much more transparent sounding PGGB made my library sound, I was cautiously hopeful this transparency would extend to room correction and so I provided ZB with my room measurements.

With the first two attempts, I was immediately impressed by the transparency in the bass.  The cannons on 1812 Overture exploded with full extension.  I sensed zero compression in the lower octaves.  I also sensed no truncation of depth which seemed to be the other failing of room correction in the past.  On these 2 counts, this was a big win but I found the midrange and treble to sound too smooth and homogenized.  It became clear that I enjoyed the natural resonances of my room in the higher octaves and he wasn't surprised because he felt the mids and highs were well behaved in my room and so on the third try, he limited room correction to below 250Hz.  Here are the before and after measurements:

image.thumb.png.e4790d009b42e9b3e3c6b48a476070ba.png

The bright red and blue tracings at the top are the "before" measurements of my left and right channels, respectively, and you can see a fairly prominent dip in the bass below 50Hz in the left channel with respect to the right channel.  If you look at the photos of my room, you can clearly understand why.  There is also a moderate peak at 60Hz with the left channel.   With the "after" measurements, you can see how he boosted the left channel below 50Hz and cut the peak at 60Hz to match the right channel.  He used purely linear phase correction.  He left >250Hz alone.  To allow for easy A/B, he also boosted the overall gain to level match what I was getting with no filter applied.  

With this 3rd EQ filter, the results that I got were nothing short of AMAZING.  Bass was extended, full, powerful, clear, defined, controlled, and TRANSPARENT!  I once brought in a pair of REL 212SE subwoofers into this room but I could never quite get them to blend seamlessly enough and at no time did adding those subwoofers ever sound this good with these Wilsons.  Because my D'Agostino Momentum HD preamp and Block Audio SE class A monoblocks are capable of generating tremendous amounts of bass by themselves, bass quantity has never really the issue but never have I experienced this level of bass quality with no apparent compromises in my room before.  What is just as satisfying is that while room correction extends only to about 250Hz, it's apparent that my smeared bass was masking midrange detail because my midrange clarity has also very noticeably improved.  Vocals have taken on a new level of clarity and audibility.

This is a remarkable level of transparency that I had not experienced before with room correction.  Room correction with PGGB takes place after upsampling but before noise shaping.  Whether the order matters or not in the re-mastering process is not clear and so I will leave it to ZB to discuss the technical aspects of what he has done to the extent that he feels comfortable but clearly, he has accomplished something very right.  There is also the option of time domain correction but with further analysis, he did not feel my room would significantly benefit.  I am now in the process of re-mastering my entire library once again, this time with this room correction filter in place because unlike in the past, regardless of the track I have applied it to, this room correction thus far has improved everything I've tried it on.  If I were to gauge the level of impact, in my listening room, I would say it is at least equivalent to every other quality PGGB offers.  

There is really no more than what I've said in my post. These DIY experiments get very expensive. And every now and then I need to reset (free up some room and budget) and start from scratch. It's my hobby, and since I am done with servers for now, I want to look more into tweaking DACs. It's very likely that I will end up getting a DAVE again. Or perhaps I will not even sell it. 

Industry disclosure: 

8 minutes ago, Mags said:

Actually, I found this module from Connex for $50 shipped to my home. It has a SMPS but only to power the relay. It is actually a better fit in the amp than the Hypex and also has the pushbutton/LED feature I need.

https://connexelectronic.com/product/power-soft-start-v4/

If you ask for my advice - pay the extra shipping cost from Europe for the Hypex. 

Industry disclosure: 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, ted_b said:

1)  For those of us using HQplayer and it's NAA "endpoint" do the differences between V2 and V3 still show through when the server is not directly connected to the dac?

Yes, I am pretty sure you will hear a difference in a good resolving system. V2 is pretty good as well. It just sounds different. 

We have to keep in mind that this design uses 5A chokes. At 35V that's still 175W. But for heavy DSD upsampling, you may need more power. I think as a general rule if you can efficiently passive cool your server, the 5A will be fine. But if you can't passively cool the server and have to use massive active cooling, you may need to use a slightly different design ULPS.

7 hours ago, ted_b said:

2)  For US prospects (I already own the Taiko ATX but no new server build yet) what is the best way to contact the US builder who has agreed to the $500 build fee?  Not ready yet, but would love to know reasonable build and delivery times, etc.

I am afraid the person who wanted to do that got too busy with his new job. I don't currently have anyone else in mind... but still looking. 

Industry disclosure: 

44 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

NOt there yet, but the ATX module is now connected to my 36V, no magic smoke or anything else to show for....I tried to see if the 12V rails are powered but these only show 0.5V but that SATA connector has 5V....

For lack of any description is that JMPR 01 needed for anything or is connecting the EPS and ATX cables enough to allow me to use the MB pushbutton to power on and off?

(still working on the EPS and ATX cables.. or I'd simply try)

If you are referring to the jumper on the Taiko ATX, that is an always-on jumper. I used it to force the Taiko ATX to provide 12V EPS after I killed one of the ATX rails early on before Taiko added protection. 

Without the jumper, the Taiko ATX is controlled by the motherboard (after you connect the 24-pin ATX of course). With the jumper, all rails are always on all the time. 

Think of the jumper as jump starting an ATX power supply - 

Industry disclosure: