IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

Let me just say that after a night of playing the sound blew me away tis morning, CPU temp with high res streaming (24bit) is already below 50'C.

I am struggling with my i2S interlink though, does anyone know an RJ 45 connector for high end? (I have the telegartners but those do not work well enough for soldering on my own proprietary wires, or rather to keep everything in place)

Had to battle high volume noise this morning, troubleshooting the attanuator and DAC lead me to the I2S interlink, and it yet again failed...with almost no movement, I left the gear playing last night.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

4 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

Just came back from the Berlin Audio Meet, where my prototype met these beauties

IMG-20211007-WA0002.jpeg

Nice horns. For some reason I can't picture them with digital source and imagine a nice vinyl-based source with them :).

How did your server sound there? 

I am excited for you yo try ULPS + Taiko ATX power supply... 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

hahaha, turns out I was listening to a Tedeska silver coil MC, thinking it was made by an enthusiast DIYer.... turns out it is among the best of best...now I am sure I want to do a head to head someday :-)

On the subject of grounding, do you connect the heatsink to the ground of the MB/PSU (EPS)?

Thanks Nenon!

I found that the heatsink itself seemed to 'quiver' and measuring I found a ground potential of like 5V, mind you, my MB and Heatsink sit on insulating wood, and most cases likely have a connection between heatsink and MB mounting points with ground connection.(just throught of that).

Sounds slightly more relaxed when grounded.

Fuses definitily make a difference, the best souding one is no fuse ;-)

My CLCLC PSU is waiting for the transformer and one MLytic, if only the transformer had already been delivered I'd swap in the Mundorf later. When we compared my prototype against a supposedly great Vinylplayer with a sophisticated arm and a new type of cartridge, through the same amp and speakers that latter sounded as if something was broken... so I can only hold my breath for the V3 PSU....3-4 weeks more waiting,

On 10/15/2021 at 7:54 PM, Exocer said:

Hi All,

I have V3 up and running again with the Saligny rectifier. My system has never sounded so good. I have also inserted my very first audiophile fuse, the QSA Light Blue ($71, thanks for the tip @BCRich) and I am happy to report that this was an eye opening experience, in a good way. For those building out these designs, I would highly recommend going the extra mile and using a good fuse.

At this moment, its fair to say V3 has exceeded my expectations and is worth switching to, even with a single CPU rig. 

Cheers!

-Rob

What fuse value are you using for v3?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

1 minute ago, Exocer said:

Large 5A slow blow.

250V I assume?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific