Building a DIY Music Server

Nenon

those green caps look familiar :-)

What specs do these chokes have, I looked at the website but did not find anything close to what I;m looking for, are they custom?

ISP, cat8.1, Zylix switch on LPS, Finisar <1321>Solarflare 8522, AMD 9, Aorus X570 Master, Corsair AX1200i, 16Gb Apacer Ram, Pink Faun I2S OCXO on LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Amethyst (modded to accept I2S), Klangfilm 204a, Klangfilm Trionor (3Tesla 835, JBL2402)

56 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

What specs do these chokes have, I looked at the website but did not find anything close to what I;m looking for, are they custom

Yes, done with the similar  spec as Hammonds ( 10mH, 5A ).

16 minutes ago, michaeltay5871 said:

Do you still need the 2 caps (on the rectifier board) since the Saligny by itself is sufficient

Good question.

I don’t know, if still needed, but works. In fact it’s 33000uF bypassed with 3,3uF and than is added choke. I didn’t check this solution with LPS Designer II, but assumed, it will work well and @Nenon also wrote somewhere in this thread, rectifier board is with active rectifier and capacitor. 

At the subject of LPS designer, I'm not sure but guess I'm using it wrong, but when i setup this LPS to simulate a CLCLC filter I get crappy values making no sense...like transformer 24V>any bridge rectifier Voltage over  C1 32V, voltage over C2 7 Volts, voltage over C3 2 Volts ....HUH

Can someone post a working PSUDII file so I can perhaps find out what silly detail I'm missing?

ISP, cat8.1, Zylix switch on LPS, Finisar <1321>Solarflare 8522, AMD 9, Aorus X570 Master, Corsair AX1200i, 16Gb Apacer Ram, Pink Faun I2S OCXO on LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Amethyst (modded to accept I2S), Klangfilm 204a, Klangfilm Trionor (3Tesla 835, JBL2402)

Ok, plans have changed slightly...

Current thinking and plan for build is as follows.

An HDPlex H5 case with an AMD Ryzen 5800X and a Jcat Netcard XE running HQP OS. Nothing else. No hard drives, no SSDs other than a small one for the OS. It will pull files from a ZFS pool running on a dedicated file server running Ubuntu via an SMB share. It will output to my Aqua LinQ running as an NAA, which then goes i2s to my DAC.

I may put another Jcat Netcard XE in the Ubuntu file server, I have not decided yet.

The H5 will be powered by the HDPlex 300W linear power supply as will the Jcat card.

No electron left behind...

8 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

At the subject of LPS designer, I'm not sure but guess I'm using it wrong, but when i setup this LPS to simulate a CLCLC filter I get crappy values making no sense...like transformer 24V>any bridge rectifier Voltage over  C1 32V, voltage over C2 7 Volts, voltage over C3 2 Volts ....HUH

Can someone post a working PSUDII file so I can perhaps find out what silly detail I'm missing?

Most likely you got the DCR wrong on the choke data

show a screenshot of the choke data and the load to debug

Builder of Linear Power Supplies

3 hours ago, Soul Analogue said:

Most likely you got the DCR wrong on the choke data

show a screenshot of the choke data and the load to debug

hmmm could be, but I probably do something else wrong too, as a resistance closer to the hammond gets me results closer to what I'd expect....aiming for 8Amps

Still getting an output voltage that is way lower than what I expect...transformer resistance perhaps?

Screenshot 2021-09-19 094126.png

may have been the transformer values, I missed to find the calculator...

You are absolutely right....on entering 47000uF the program changes the notation to 47mF, clear typo (I do not see the difference, dyscalculy is similar to dyslexia)

Still, the output voltage should not be affected, just less ripple....simulating with 47mF gives me a V3 of 28V (26RMS), I cannot imagine that is true.

Doing some (carefully triple checked) calculations leads me to:

at an input Voltage of 25V @10Amps after recifying (times1.4) gets me  35V as the active rectifier has a very low Voltage drop, each choke drops the voltage about 1V so I expect some 30V output which is exactly where I want to be, whereas the sim shows 27V or so which i cannot explain. The Capacitance affects ripple, so does the inductance, I think I'll take a raincheck on checking oscillations using PSUD2 and go with old school calculation and measure ripple with a scope.. 

The problem has to be user error, I have high regards of Ben Duncan....

Does anyone know to what extent the ATX accepts ripple on the input (I'm not worried it'll be too high, just wondering)? The output ripple is specified, but there is a bit of a lack of documentation for a device this costly.

Yeah you are right, I am on the right track now thanks for your help and thanks to Emile who gave some advice (email).

Once I did the manual calculation my suspicion of user error was confirmed, it took a bit to understand where I went wrong....the answer was ; in too many places to make that analysis an easy one.

It's hard to to learn an old dog a new trick ;-)

I'll order a transformer and chokes from my supplier now.

we discussed DIY USB cables a while ago, I just stumbled across a Viborg male USB A and B connectors (Audiophonics), no idea how they perform but their pure copper Schuko connectors are my favorites.

@Tatomek7 How is your PSU doing? I am in a wait to receive the Lundahl chokes and Toroidy transformer but would love to hear peoples experiences with their configurations and what any tinkering may have learned them.

good work !

Yeah EPS cables matter, so much is clear to me....what Molex pins do you use with the AWG14 ( I have some on the way from HK)?

(I'm planning to do the same with UPOCC 14AWG in PVC as I cannot find the patience to strip and insulate 40 cables with natural material).

Do you let your system play 24/7 like I do (else break in really takes forever).

I my experience a new PSU that changes a lot during breaking in usually ends up being good, patience is key and anything digital takes so much more time to break in....My setup with now passive cooling and caps on the EPS connector at the MB is also still breaking in but sounding so good it is breathtaking (especially considering I'm still using the Corsair AX1200i)

20 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

what Molex pins do you use with the AWG14

I ordered gold covered pins on Mouser  - mouser No. 538-45750-1212

My server is working 24/7

23 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

caps on the EPS connector at the MB

can you make some pictures? Did you add caps there?

25 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

I'm still using the Corsair AX1200i

I was using HX1200i and I do not know why, Taiko ATX board doesn't accept EPS wire from Corsair. This is why I used at the beginning EPS cables from HdPlex.

The Corsair EPS (And ATX) cables for the AX series (!) have the wires crossed 180 degrees, so on the EPS your 12V is now ground and vice versa!

I cannot make pictures of the caps as I cannot disclose what they are (sorry) but think small values (few hundred nF) in ultrafast caps as close to the Molex connector on the MB, it really makes a (big) difference

20 minutes ago, Tatomek7 said:

Correction, I did it with 16AWG, sorry for mistake. I really wonder, if it’s possible to fit 14AWG.

Emile (Taiko) mentioned it is possible...I will try...it gets expensive real fast but hey...waiting for those large Lundahls takes a bit

17 hours ago, Tatomek7 said:

I ordered gold covered pins on Mouser  - mouser No. 538-45750-1212

Just FYI, Those are specified for 18-120 AWG.

The molex pins specified for 16 AWG are 538-45750-3211.

You can see from the pic below that the crimp tabs for 16 AWG are longer. 

image.thumb.jpeg.4699674dc4297c5b4eb6e8960ac5de10.jpeg