IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, dctom said:

Thanks Nenon

I need a cable like this?

sata.jpg.a75ad65e809b27694e67d0c385d7f267.jpg

I am not a fan of SATA drives, and haven't looked at them in a while, but generally speaking the SATA connector provides 3 voltages (3.3V, 5V, and 12V) and different drives use different voltages. Some spinning hard drives use the 12V for the spinning and 5V for electronics. Some solid state drives need only 5V, others need 3.3V, etc. You would need to check the specs of your drive and what voltages are needed.

And then you need to find a cable with the correct pinout or get one made for you. Here is the pinout on the Taiko ATX:

766024887_ScreenShot2021-05-07at9_02_48AM.thumb.png.72d4fcaeb98e5aa6d54ea3b6d34f1b63.png

You can use any of these connectors:

Part number: 39012040 (white)
Part number: 39012045 (white)
Part number: 39013042 (white)
Part number: 39013045 (black)

With these pins:

18 AWG Gold plated: 457501212
16 AWG Gold plated: 457503212

On the other side, it would be a standard SATA connector.

You can ask the seller of the cable you showed on the picture for the connector type used and the pinout, and it if matches the above (and your SATA drive does not need 3.3V, which is very rare anyway), it should work.

Or you can ask Ghent to make you one.

Perhaps other people who use SATA drives would have some better ideas, but that's all I can offer. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

2 hours ago, OAudio said:

@Nenon 

Wow, 5uV = ~-135db of rejection ( assuming a ~30v rail ) ! 

I have been playing along in the background for a while using simulations of an unregulated supply based on the component choices in your earlier posts. With components listed and tweaking components parameters to near ideal performance levels its hard to get <3mv pk - pk @ 1 amp constant load.    

5uV is exceptional. Can I ask how you measuring the ripple and and under what test conditions ?

Thanks. 

Have you tried simulating the dual choke CLCLC configuration? 

19 minutes ago, dctom said:

Struggling to get the Taiko ATX up and running. I cannot get the system to boot up beyond bios screen, the  sata OS ssd and my nvme m.2 storage drives do not show up in bios screen. 

If I substitute my hdplex 800 it boots up with no problem??

Try booting from a USB stick (disconnect the SATA and NVME for the test). This should narrow down the problem between:

a. not having enough power to boot; or

b. something related to powering the SATA / NVME

If you can boot from a USB drive, it is likely "b". Sorry, I won't be around later to help troubleshooting, but other people here can advice. 

Industry disclosure: 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Rovo said:

Nenon, this will take a while before the connection diagram will be available. Is it possible that you share some photos of your current testing setup. The reason for this is that I will make my own chassis and with the photos I will get a better idea about the size requirements. I have already designed my own chassis (for a different micro ATX motherboard) and would like to get a feeling if the unregulated LPS will fit.

Currently the motherboard is in a Streacom FC5 chassis, but will be assembled in the new chassis with the Taiko DC-ATX and a Paul Hynes SR7T or the unregulated LPS.

PC Endpoint samenstelling.jpg

IMG_20210119_092901.jpg

How big is the chassis? Taiko's chassis is 19” x 15.7” x 6.2”, I don't think v3 would fit. The chassis on the pictures looks much smaller than that. 

Take a look at the BOM I posted. I've listed all the parts there. You can check their dimensions. The only dimensions that you can't find online are the transformer and the Taiko MOSFET rectifier. I don't have their dimensions handy at the moment but will provide them in due time. 

Industry disclosure: 

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Why wouldn't he?  He could bundle it with the Taiko ATX and instruct folks it must be connected through it (so as to power up correctly).  Maybe I'm missing something.  That handshake (USB to DAC) is probably the biggest handshake in computer audio, and if Taiko has such a world beater, proven to have value even outside an Extreme, do it!

My guess is that the USB card (combined with TAS and Taiko's USB driver) would keep the Extreme on the top for some time, until Taiko comes up with some newer technology, at which point they can make the USB card available for DIY. 

There is major global parts and supply shortage at the moment. That might be another reason. Keep however many USB card can be produced for current and future Extreme users? 

I think we would be able to buy it at some point in the future. But probably not anytime soon... 

Industry disclosure: